The Wattersons are the main characters in the television series, The Amazing World of Gumball. They are the neighbors of The Robinsons. Despite being a tight family, they are known to have very serious arguments at times (as shown in "The Responsible").
The Watterson family is quite unusual; they consist of two rabbits, two cats, and a goldfish. Gumball and Nicole are both blue cats, while Anais and Richard are both pink rabbits. Darwin is a goldfish and was originally the family pet until he grew legs, gained the ability to speak, and became able to eat food other than fish flakes. Granny Jojo is Richard's mother, and Nicole's father was mentioned in "The End".
- Gumball: Son of Nicole and Richard; brother to Darwin and Anais. He is a blue cat.
- Darwin: Adopted son of Nicole and Richard; adopted brother to Gumball and Anais. He is a goldfish.
- Anais: Daughter of Nicole and Richard; sister to Gumball and Darwin. She is a pink rabbit.
- Nicole: Mother to Gumball, Darwin, and Anais; wife of Richard. She is a blue cat.
- Richard: Father to Gumball, Darwin, and Anais; husband of Nicole. He is a pink rabbit.
- Granny Jojo: Grandmother to Gumball, Darwin and Anais; mother of Richard; mother-in-law of Nicole. She is a pink rabbit.
- Gumball's Grandfather: Grandfather to Gumball, Darwin, and Anais as mentioned by Nicole in "The End" - whether he is the paternal or maternal grandfather is not known.
- Bucktooth: Great, great, great, great, grandfather to Gumball, Darwin, and Anais as mentioned by Richard in "The Watch"
- Darwin the First: First pet fish of the Wattersons. His remains were discovered under Gumball's bed in "The Game".
- Darwin the Second: Second pet fish of the Wattersons. He has not been mentioned in the show yet.
- The Wattersons invoke their facial expressions in an animesque style, such as sweat drops forming on their heads when distressed, tear and gruel and countless other over-exaggerated expressions.
- Ben Bocquelet chose this family name as a tribute to his hero, Bill Watterson, the creator of the famous newspaper comic Calvin and Hobbes.
- Gumball inherited his mother's appearance and a bit of his father's personality, whereas Anais inherited her father's appearance and a bit of her mother's personality.
- All of the members have the same face physique: a curved quadrilateral annexed with another small one on the bottom.
- The Wattersons are revealed to be in critical financial standing due to Richard spending all of their savings on a star which apparently died.
- Anais is the only known biological member of the family without whiskers.
- The painted portrait of all of the members is also seen inside the Cartoon Network Delelopment Studio Europe building in London, England.
- The Wattersons consist of animals that would be kept as pets by humans, although Darwin is the only member referred to as a pet in the show.