To edit the transcript, click here
- [The alarm clock rings]
- Gumball: [cheerfully] We still have 24 hours 'til we go back to school!
- Darwin: [pops out from his fishbowl] 24 whole hours of fun!
- Gumball: So, what shall we do?
- Darwin: Shoot some hoops?
- Gumball: Nah, it's boring.
- Darwin: Water fight?
- Gumball: Nah, that's boring too... and wet.
- [Both sigh]
- Gumball: I know!
- Gumball: It's time to play...
- Gumball and Darwin: Dodge or Dare!
- Gumball: Roll the dice, pick a...! [unamused] Who am I kidding? We're bored of this as well. Why are these games so boring now?
- Darwin: [Thinking]
- Gumball: Ah! [worried] Darwin, maybe it's not the games, [whispering] maybe we are bored of each other.
- Darwin: NO! [sad] Don't say that! It can't be!
- Gumball [sad] It's the truth, Darwin and you know it, and the sooner we accept it, [grabs Darwin's head] the better it will be for everyone.
- Darwin: So what are you saying? You don't wanna hang out with me anymore?
- [They hug]
- Gumball: Of course I wanna hang out with you. [hugging stops] I'm just saying that things have got a little... stale.
- Darwin: So, what should we do about it?
- Gumball: [Thinking] [Sees two ants trying to lift a cookie unsuccessfully, then a third one comes and they succeed] THAT'S IT!
- Darwin: [Skeptical] We should become ants?
- Gumball: No, we need to find a third best friend.
- Darwin: [Doubting] Three best friends?
- Gumball: [Assenting]
- Darwin: Won't that be a bit... weird?
- Gumball: It's only weird if we make it weird. Do you find it weird?
- Darwin: [cheerfully] No if you don't.
- Gumball: OK then, let's get ourselves a new buddy.
- [Both smile]
- Darwin: [Suddenly realizes] My cookie...
At the School
- [School bell rings]
- Gumball: School is full of people and all we've got to do is pick one to be our new best friend.
- [Tina appears]
- Darwin: How about her?
- [Tina steps on three people and wipes her feet on Anton]
- Gumball: How about not?
- [William appears, stares at a bin]
- Darwin: [Points at William] William?
- Gumball: I don't know... [William stares at them] He's just a bit...
- [William blinks and goes]
- Gumball and Darwin: ...creepy [they have a chill]
- [They hear Banana Joe laughing]
- Banana Joe: Peek-a-boo! [laughs loudly to himself]
- [They walk towards Joe]
- Gumball: Hey Joe!
- Banana Joe: Peek-a-boo!
- [the three laughs]
- Gumball: You wanna play with us for a bit?
- Banana Joe: Yeah!
- [silence for one second]
- Banana Joe: Hey guys! Seen this? [makes farting noises with his armpit nine times] Ah? [laughs loudly]
- Gumball: [pretends to laugh along] Ahahahaha! Ahahahaha! [nudges Darwin]
- Darwin: [gets the point] Oh! Hahahaha! Hahahaha!
- Banana Joe: Wait! Wait! Look at this! [shakes himself while making noise and laughing when his eyes rolled for a while] Wahahaha!
- Gumball: [says in an unsure tone] Great!
- Banana Joe: I can do other stuff too! [throws his banana suit away and walks towards it, whistling] Ah! [trips on his own banana peel] See that? I slipped over myself!
- [Banana Joe starts laughing]
- Darwin: [whispers to Gumball] What do you think?
- Gumball: Uhh... He's a bit of a one-trick pony...
- Darwin: Yeah, let's go.
- Gumball: Okay, Joe! We'll... be in touch! [starts leaving with Darwin]
- Banana Joe: Hey, one more thing! Before you go! Ready? [prepares to make farting noises with his armpit, takes a deep breath]
- [real fart noise]
- Banana Joe: .... Oh.
- Bobert: So, how do we play this game, "punchies"?
- Gumball: It's easy! You just give each other friendly digs in the arm. Like this! [Punches Bobert and hurts his own hand] Ahhhh!
- Bobert: Your turn has terminated. Commencing my turn. [Retracts his arm and punches Gumball. Gumball goes through a wall.]
- Gumball: Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh!
- [Gumball & Darwin are getting their lunch]
- Gumball: [sighs] Finding a friend is harder than I thought...
- Leslie: [overexcited] Hey! I heard you're looking for a third.
- Gumball: Yeah, but it's proven a little...
- Leslie: Stop looking. I'm in.
- Gumball: W-Well, Leslie, i-it's not as simple...
- Leslie: So, what are you having for lunch? [surprised] Oh! Beef stew? Me too!
- [They sit at a table]
- Darwin: We're having pizza...
- Leslie: [extremely overexcited] Let's sit together! I'm going in the middle. [hugs Gumball and Darwin against their will] Oh, this is so much fun! From now on, we can do everything together... [slow motion] FOREVER!
- [Gumball & Darwin are in a stall]
- Gumball: [relieved] Uff, I think we lost him.
- Darwin: Finding a friend is really hard.
- Gumball: Yeah, what would you really want from a friend?
- Darwin: Well, they should be athletic to protect us from bullies, rich so we can play with their toys, have a colourful personality and most of all, be really good at listening.
- Tobias: [overlooking from the next stall] Hey, guys! I couldn't help, mmm, listening to everything you just said, and I... uh... think you're in luck. Athletic? Check. [showing off] Rich? Check. [shows some notes] Colourful? Check-a-lecka-ding-dong. [changes colour]
- [Gumball & Darwin are extremely amazed]
- Tobias: You know what, guys? I'll be your friend.
- Darwin: Really?
- Tobias: [assenting] Uh huh. For 20 bucks.
- Gumball: [indignant] What?!
- Tobias: I'll give you a moment to think about it. [goes down the stall wall]
- Gumball: I dunno about this, Darwin.
- Darwin: But this is what we've been looking for. [with a big smile] He's perfect!
- Gumball: [doubts] I suppose it's only 10 bucks each.
- Darwin: Yeah... About that: can I borrow 10 bucks?
- Gumball: [sighs] Fine...
- Tobias: Great! [flushes toilet]
- [Gumball & Darwin look at each other in confusion]
- Tobias: [leaves the bathroom with Darwin] Man, this is gonna be awesome!
- Gumball: Hey, hey, guys! Wait up! Guys!
- [The Wattersons are having lunch, Darwin is laughing]
- Darwin: And then, Tobias said: "I know you are, but, what am I?" And everyone laughed!
- [The whole family laughs except Gumball]
- Gumball: And then I said: "You..."
- Darwin: Oh, yeah! And then Tobias showed me this really cool thing [he does it while explaining] where you shake your hands behind your back and say: "Nice to meet me". And everyone laughed!
- [The whole family laughs except Gumball]
- Darwin: He's a really cool guy!
- Gumball: Well, he's OK, but... [gets interrupted by Darwin]
- Darwin: What do you mean he's OK? He's the best guy EVER!
- Gumball: [upset] It's not like you've played with him your whole life.
- Darwin: I might as well have. I feel like I've known him forever.
- [Gumball throws his mashed potato to Darwin's face]
- Nicole: Gumball!
- Gumball: I'm sorry, that must just have fallen off my fork. Anyway, the funniest thing happened to me today: as I was going into class when...
- Richard: [laughs] That's great. [turns to Darwin] Now, tell me more about this Tobias guy.
- Gumball: [mutters]
- [Miss Simian blows the whistle]
- Miss Simian: Everyone, pair up! And make sure it's with your best friend, because we're playing Trustball.
- Gumball: Great! Now I finally get to spend some time with... Ahhhh! [sees Darwin happily hanging out with Tobias]
- Gumball: [comes up to them] Darwin!
- Darwin: Hey, Gumball. Tobias was just telling me about his new computer game’s console.
- Tobias: Yeah, yeah, it’s the Z Station. They are not even out yet.
- Darwin: Let’s play tonight! [to Tobias] Sleepover at yours?
- Tobias: Ya, sure! We can have a sleepover. 20 bucks.
- Gumball: 10 bucks. I’m not coming.
- Darwin: You’re not?
- Gumball: No! I’m having a sleepover with my new best friend [pulls Alan down with his string] Alex!
- Alan: Alan.
- Gumball: Alan. We’re gonna play Dodge or Dare all night!
- Darwin: You are?
- Alan: [surprised] We are?
- Gumball: Yeah. And it’s gonna be loads more fun than some stupid computer game!
- Darwin: Great! Looks like it's all worked out then. See you later! [goes away with Tobias but then returns back] Oh, can I borrow 10 bucks? [Gumball gives him 10 bucks] Thanks! Wait for me, Tobias!
At the Backyard, part 1
- Gumball: Ah, come on, Adrian! Roll the dice! Roll the dice!
- Alan: I can’t! I’ve got no hands!
- Gumball: Argh! Fine! I’ll do it for you! [rolls the dice] Six. Right. Pick a card!
- Alan: I still have no hands!
- Gumball: Argh, do I have to do everything?!
- Alan: Listen, Gumball, do you really wanna be doing this? I mean, we’ve never even hung out before, and now we are having a sleepover.
- Gumball: Did I ask for your opinion, Alfred?! [Alan deflates a little]
- Alan: Can I at least call my mom?
- Gumball: Fine! But keep it quick! [gives Alan a Telephone]
- [brief silence]
- Alan: Still no hands.
- Gumball: Number!
In front of Tobias’ house
- Tobias: This is going to be the most fun you’ve ever had!
- Darwin: All for just 10 bucks!
At the Backyard, part 2
- Gumball: [throws a football at Alan] Catch!
- Alan: [the ball hits Alan and drives him away] Ahhhh!
- Gumball: What are you doing?
- Alan: No hands!
- Gumball: Oh...
- Alan: Look, Gumball. What’s really going on here?
- Gumball: Oh, Arthur. Who am I kidding? I’m not having as much fun as I’ve been making out. All I can think of is Darwin!
- Alan: Go to him!
- Gumball: Huh?
- Alan: Your best buddy is about to play computer games with someone who’s rich, athletic, multi-colored and a good listener! He’ll never play Dodge or Dare with you again!
- Gumball: Ah! They will be best friends forever and I’ll just be a memory! I have to get my best buddy back! But it’s too late!
- Alan: Dude, it’s never too late for friendship!
- Gumball: Yes! I’ll never forget you, Adam!... Andrew!... Alice!
- Gumball: Hey, kid, please lend me your bike! I’m about to lose my best friend!
- Rosie: Okay! 50 bucks!
- Gumball: Arghhhh! 20 bucks!
- Rosie: 70!
- Gumball: [throws money at Rosie] Arghhhhhhhh!
- Gumball: [beeps as he is about to run into a brick wall riding Rosie’s trike] Get out of the way!
- Max: I can’t!
- Gumball: Get out of the way!
- Max: I’m a brick wall!
- Manhole: Hey, Max, what’s all the commotion?
- Gumball: [flies over a brick wall] Ah! Oh! Ah! Ahhhhhhh! [lands into a trash can]
- Pantsbully: Hey, kid, you can’t go that way!
- Gumball: No time! [goes through wet cement] I wish... I'd listened... to that guy! [cement turns into a concrete, incapacitating Gumball]
- [Gumball imagines Darwin and Tobias having fun]
- Darwin: Feel like I’m missing something...
- Tobias: Missing something? What?
- Darwin: Ah, never mind. I already forgot.
- [End of vision]
- Gumball: By the power of friendship! [breaks the concrete and continues his rush]
- Gumball: [sees that the road is very long] Oh, man!.. Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah! [smiles as he thinks it’s over but it’s not] Oh, gosh! Darn it! Ah! Ah! [It’s getting dark] All is because of the stupid ants and the stupid cookie! This is all their fault! [mockingly] "Uoo! Look at me! I’m a third ant!" [babbling] Those stupid, stupid ants! Woo! Made it to the top! Eeeeee! Woo-hoo! Oh! Ahhhh! [His trike goes to pieces as Gumball goes down a slope. He loses the trike and catches on fire because of a huge velocity he’s got. He whizzes past Doughnut Sheriff’s police car making it overturn.] Ahhhhh! I’m coming for you, buddy! Hold on... [swallows a bug]
At Tobias’ house
- [Gumball whizzes throughout Tobias’ house and then returns back to Tobias’ room.]
- Gumball: [very quickly] Where’s Darwin?! [Tobias turns to Gumball and pauses the game] What did you do with my friend?!
- Tobias: Uh... He’s in the garden... I think... [resumes playing game]
- [Darwin looks out of the window sobbing. Gumball approaches the window from outside. Darwin thinks that Gumball is inside and turns around.]
- Darwin: Gumball!
- Gumball: Dude, I’m outside.
- Darwin: Oh...
- [The friends go out into the garden and hug each other.]
- Gumball: I can’t believe you were gonna play computer game with Tobias.
- Darwin: But you played Dodge or Dare with someone else.
- Gumball: It didn’t mean anything. I don’t even like Adam.
- Darwin: Alan.
- Gumball: No, whatever.
- Darwin: Best friends?
- Gumball: Forever!
- Gumball and Darwin: Yay!
- [Gumball and Darwin play Kebab Fighter on Tobias’ Z Station.]
- Tobias: Hey guys, shall I plug in a third controller, or what?
- Gumball and Darwin: No!
- [Episode ends]
The Third is the third episode of season one of The Amazing World of Gumball, and the third episode overall.
Gumball and Darwin search for a new best friend after they believe they are bored of each other.
With only twenty four hours left before school, Gumball
begin thinking up of things they could do before having to go back to school. Unfortunately, every game they come up with is turned down because they have played them too often. They decided to play their own made up game, Dodge or Dare
, but got bored of it just as they started playing. They begin to wonder what caused these games to be boring when suddenly Gumball states that maybe it is not the games that are boring, but that instead they are bored of each other. They freak out for a moment, and began thinking of a solution. Gumball notices two ants struggling to lift up a cookie, but another one soon joins in and together, they lift up the cookie. The three happy ants then take Darwin's cookie and run off. From the ants, Gumball hatches an idea and decides they need a third best friend.
At school, the two search for a new friend. Darwin points out Tina as she walks by. Tina squishes three people, causing Gumball and Darwin to shakily reject her. Darwin then points out William, who flies by to inspect a garbage can. William does a creepy blink, causing the two to shudder and reject him for being creepy. At this point they hear Banana Joe laughing at himself. They greet him, considering making him their third friend. At first they are amused by his tricks, but then he gets less amusing and more annoying in every passing joke. They decide to shy away after his fourth gag.
At lunch time, Leslie somehow finds out that they are looking for a third friend. He eagerly takes the job, but creeps the two of them out. They end up at the boys' restroom, hiding from Leslie. Darwin points out that a friend should be athletic, rich, colourful, and a good listener. Tobias was listening and was willing to be their friend for $20. Gumball sceams "What?" in anger but Tobias gives Gumball some time to think. Gumball realizes that it is just $10 each. Gumball pays Tobias $10, but Darwin does not have money, so Gumball pays for him. However, once Tobias is paid, Darwin and Tobias set off without Gumball.
At dinner, Darwin amuses the family with stories about his time with Tobias. At one point, Gumball throws his dinner at Darwin so he can speak. Unfortunately, the family just listens to Darwin instead.
In the school gym, the kids play a game requiring a best friend. Gumball sees this as a chance to hang out with Darwin, but to Gumball's dismay, Darwin is with Tobias. To add insult to injury, Darwin and Tobias decide to have a sleepover. In retaliation, Gumball plans a sleepover with Alan, without the latter's consent.
At Gumball's house, Gumball tries to play games with Alan. Alan cannot play them, as he has no hands. Alan soon asks what is really going on, which Gumball states that things are different without Darwin. Alan says that Gumball needs to go to Darwin, which eventually, he decides to do.
Gumball then had to find a way to get to Tobias' house, so he asked a little girl if he could borrow her tricycle. She charged him $70, to which he threw money at her and pedaled off on the trike. Gumball, in his fury, goes through wet cement and it dries all over him and the tricycle, incapacitating him. He imagines a moment where Darwin would forget about his old best friend. This makes him break the concrete and keep going and heads for the bumpy region standing between him and Darwin. Gumball gets furious, complaining about the "stupid ants" and their "stupid cookie" that got him in the mess while he goes over many hills and valleys. Suddenly, he sees and goes down a steep hill, which causes him to catch on fire and zip through town like a meteorite.
Soon, Gumball gets to Tobias' house. He immediately asks Tobias for Darwin. Tobias says he's in another room. Darwin is sobbing over Gumball. Fortunately for Darwin, Gumball is outside. The two make up and start playing Kebab Fighter. When Tobias asks to play, the episode ends with a "no!" from the two close friends.
Darwin: [referring to Tina] How about her?
[Tina steps on Anton and wipes her feet]
Gumball: How about not?
Gumball: I'll never forget you, Adam! Andrew? Alex?!
Gumball: Where's Darwin?!
[Tobias looks at Gumball in an odd way and pauses the game]
Gumball: What did you do with my friend?!
Tobias: Uh, he's in the garden...I think... [resumes playing game]
Leslie: [hugging Gumball and Darwin against their will] Oh, this is so much fun! We can do everything together... [slow motion] ...FOREVER!
Bobert: So how do we play this game punchies?"
Gumball: It's easy! You just give each other fine digs in the arm. Like this!
Bobert: Your turn has terminated. Commencing my turn.
- This was the first episode to prominently feature Elmore Junior High.
- This is the first episode in production code.
- Gumball is the first character to speak in this episode, making him the first character to speak on the show if you go by production order.
- Coincidentally, this was the third episode to be aired.
- When Gumball zooms past the police car, you can see that the car's license plate number is 66666, a number that sticks with the car throughout the series.
- When Darwin, Leslie and Gumball hug each other, Gumball's whiskers disappear.
- Darwin's mouth is miscolored black instead of red at one scene at Tobias' house.