To edit the transcript, click here
- [The episode opens at night time at the Wattersons’ house]
- Richard: Okay, kids! Mom will be home any minute now. Have you all wrapped your birthday presents?
- Gumball, Darwin and Anais: [They hold up their wrapped presents] Yay!
- Anais: And you, Dad? What did you get her?
- Richard: [with a bright smile] Nothing!
- Gumball, Darwin and Anais: [shocked] What?!
- Richard: [in panic] AAAH! I forgot! What am I gonna do? What am I gonna do?! What am I gonna do?!
- Anais: How about you buy her a present?
- Richard: [grabs Anais] Yes! Wait! No! I have to watch the kids! Hmm... [thinks, then suddenly gets an idea] Hey, guys, you don’t have to watch the kids! [hands a bill to Gumball] Here’s a twenty! Go buy her something special! From the gas station!
- Gumball and Darwin: [running off giddily] Yay! Adventure!
- [Anais watches them leave, then facepalms]
He’s Got a Spoon!
- [The scene cuts to the Gas Station, with Gumball and Darwin giddily running in]
- Larry: [asleep, then gets startled awake by the door beep] Yah! Welcome to the Gas Station, where we never sleep, ’cause we're not allowed to...
- Gumball and Darwin: [races past] Hi, mister!
- [Sal Left Thumb enters the Gas Station behind the kids]
- Larry: Can I help you?
- Sal: Yeah. Can it and hand over the cash.
- Larry: Ha ha... What?
- Sal: Don't make me use this! [pulls out a rusty spoon]
- Larry: Oh my gosh... He’s got a spoon! [starts running in circles] He’s got a spo- [smacks into the glass wall surrounding the register and falls unconscious]
- Sal: Ha. Sucker.
- [Security camera footage shows Sal dragging Larry out of the register area]
The Perfect Present!
- [Cut to Darwin and Gumball, walking towards the register, with Gumball holding a card]
- Darwin: Show it again! Show it again!
- Gumball: Okay, but it’s the last time. We have to get it back home.
- [Gumball holds up the card. It’s a holographic card that switches between a woman sitting in a park and an amazon standing in fire]
- Darwin: It’s like the best gift ever!
- Gumball: Yeah, Mom’s gonna love it!
- [Gumball and Darwin walk up to the window, where Sal is rapidly pulling money out of the register. Gumball taps on the window, startling Sal]
- Gumball: Excuse me, sir, what are you doing? [gasps] Are you robbing the store?!
- Sal: [sarcastically] Nah. I’m collecting for charity!
- Gumball and Darwin: [get sparkly eyed] Whoa!
- Gumball: Awesomely kind! Which charity is it?
- Sal: [caught off guard] Oh, er... [looks around trying to make up something and sees a rack of eggs behind Gumball] Bald people!
- Gumball and Darwin: Can we help?
- Sal: You’re kidding, right?
- Gumball: We’d never joke about bald people!
- Sal: Ha. All right, kids! [hands them a money bag] Just go fill up the baggie with anything valuable.
- Gumball and Darwin: Yay! [giddily run off again]
- Sal: Ha. Suckers. [goes back to ripping money out of the register]
"Collecting for Charity"
- [Security camera footage shows Gumball and Darwin running down an aisle]
- Gumball: What could bring a smile to their little bald faces?
- Darwin: Hmm...
- Gumball: [points] Ooh! Ooh! Sunglasses! [grabs a pair of heart-shaped sunglasses from a rack. Darwin is seen wearing star-shaped sunglasses]
- Gumball and Darwin: Oooooh!
- Gumball: [points again] Ahh! Ahh! A bikini! [grabs a blue/green patterned bikini bottom from another rack and puts them on. Darwin is also wearing a bikini bottom]
- Gumball and Darwin: Whoaaaa!
- Gumball: Fake mustache! [grabs one] Make-up! [grabs some lipstick]
- Darwin: Wigs? [reaches for one] Nah.
- Gumball: A princess tiara? [grabs one]
- Gumball and Darwin: Yeah! [Gumball and Darwin are shown wearing everything they took, with the fully stuffed bag behind them] I’m bald and I’m proud!
Uh Oh! The Police!
- [Cut back to the register, which Sal is still pulling money out of. Police sirens are suddenly heard approaching]
- Sal: Uh oh! [A police car pulls up outside] Five-Oh! Here comes the Po-Po!
- Gumball: Hey, Mr. Charity Man! [appears with Darwin] We’re done!
- Sal: [gets an idea] Hey, suckers. I need you to do something for me.
- Gumball and Darwin: Yay! More charity work!
- Sal: Yeah, yeah, yeah, exactly. You see that man?
- [The Doughnut Sheriff gets out of the police car]
- Sal: He will spoil the surprise if he sees me here. [points at the wanted sign behind him, which shows him] I’m pretty famous in the charity business.
- Gumball and Darwin: Ohhhh.
- Gumball: I get it.
- Sal: So you distract him for me.
- Gumball and Darwin: Yay!
- Sal: Ha ha. [ducks down behind the register]
- Doughnut Sheriff: [enters the store, tossing a burrito into his mouth, which naturally goes right through him] That’s the third burrito I’ve had, and I’m still hungry.
- Gumball and Darwin: [pop up behind the register, wearing Gas Station Hats and still wearing the fake mustaches] Hi, Officer! How can we distract you today?
- Doughnut Sheriff: I’m sort of looking for something that could fill me up?
- Gumball and Darwin: Follow us! [walk off to the Hot Dog Store in the shop]
- Gumball: [holds out a hot dog] How about a hot dog? They’re delicious! [His fake mustache falls off his face and lands on the hot dog, which he holds out to the Sheriff]
- Doughnut Sheriff: Enh...
- Sal: No!
- Doughnut Sheriff: There’s a mustache on your sausage!
- Gumball: Yeah, it’s our secret ingredient! [Gumball and Darwin wink]
- Doughnut Sheriff: I think I’ll go for something without hair. [Sal wipes sweat off and sighs in relief] Maybe some Marshmallow Heart-Stoppers? [picks up a box, revealing the tied up Larry. Sal gasps panicked] Nah, not enough sugar... [puts the box back, not noticing Larry, Sal ducks down again. The Sheriff sees a doughnut sitting in a box] Oh! A doughnut! That could fill a hole!
- Sal: [whispering to Gumball] Just get rid of him!
- Gumball: [whispers back] Okay. [runs over and grabs a doughnut] You want it?
- Doughnut Sheriff: Yes, yes, yes!
- Gumball: Really?
- Doughnut Sheriff: Yes!
- Gumball: You really, really want it?
- Doughnut Sheriff: Yeeeeeeeesssss!
- Gumball: Then... Fetch! [throws the doughnut out the door, with the Sheriff chasing it] He’s gone, Mr. Charity Man!
- Sal: Great! Good job! Now get back to looting- Er, I mean, collecting for charity!
- Gumball and Darwin: Yay! [They race off giddily once more]
- Sal: Now. Let’s get back to business.
Where’s the Safe?
- [Sal pulls the tape off Larry’s mouth, causing him to yell in pain]
- Sal: So, Mr. "Employee of the Month", where is the safe?
- Larry: I won’t tell you anything! They would fire me!
- Sal: Oh really? What would they do about this? [grabs a pair of sunglasses, starts bending them]
- Larry: No! Please! They’ll take it off my salary!
- Sal: [snaps the sunglasses] Whoops.
- Larry: You heartless monster! That was twenty-five cents!
- Sal: Now where is the safe? [holds up a snowglobe]
- Larry: I won't tell you!
- Sal: [drops the snowglobe] Whoops.
- Larry: No! That was thirty-five cents!
- Sal: [another object is broken] Whoops.
- Larry: No, wait! That was two fifty reduced from three ninety-five!
- Sal: Now will you talk?
- Larry: Never!
- Sal: Your choice. [holds up a wooden coo-coo clock]
- Larry: Nooooo!
- [Cut back to Gumball and Darwin, who are standing in front of a stack of shampoo bottles]
- Gumball: Look, Darwin! Shampoo!
- Darwin: Perfect for bald people!
- [Gumball pulls out a bottle, which causes the whole display to collapse, revealing a safe]
- Gumball and Darwin: Ooh.
- Darwin: What’s that?
- Gumball: It’s a safe, Darwin! It’s full of money! And what do bald people need more of?
- Darwin: Friends?
- Gumball: Exactly! And how do you buy friends?
- Darwin: Uhhh...
- Gumball: With money!
- Gumball and Darwin: Yay!
- Gumball: [notices the keypad] Oh. There’s a lock. What number should I try?
- Darwin: Um... Two!
- Gumball: [pushes a button on the lock, nothing happens] Nah, doesn’t work.
- Darwin: Seven!
- Gumball: [pushes another button, nothing happens] No.
- Darwin: Nine!
- Gumball: [pushes another button, nothing happens] Nope.
- Darwin: Well, that’s all the numbers I know! Try two again.
- Gumball: [pushes another button, nothing happens, then sighs] I guess we’ll have to use brute force!
- [Cut back to the Wattersons’ house, Nicole walks in the front door]
- Richard and Anais: [pop out from behind the couch] Happy Birthday!
- Nicole: [jumps with a shriek, startled] Oh... Thanks. [notices Gumball and Darwin are missing] Where are the boys?
- Richard: Well, I forgot your birthday, so I sent them down to the gas station to get you a present.
- Nicole: What?!
- Richard: Oh. Is it the birthday, or sending two kids downtown at night on their own?
- Nicole: Put your pants on and get in the car!
- [Sped up security camera footage shows Gumball and Darwin’s attempts to open the safe. They punch, kick, and whack at it with metal bars to no avail. After stopping to catch their breath, they start hitting it more, then try ramming a pair of shopping carts into it, with no luck]
- Gumball: [panting] We’re never gonna crack it.
- Safe Lock: You know, you only have to ask nicely.
- Gumball and Darwin: Please... [The safe opens up, revealing piles of money. Gumball and Darwin get starry-eyed] Whoa!
He’s Got a Spoon! Again!
- [Richard, Nicole and Anais are walking into the Gas Station]
- Nicole: I can’t believe you sent the kids to the gas station at this hour.
- Richard: Come on, honey. What’s the worst that could happen?
- [The three get shocked as they walk into the Gas Station and see the tied up Larry]
- Richard: Hey.
- Sal: [suddenly jumps out] Freeze, suckers! [he threatens each of them in turn with the spoon]
- Richard: [freaks out] He’s got a spoon!
- [Richard runs around screaming, then crashes into the shelf next to Larry and is knocked out, Anais and Nicole facepalm]
- Sal: Ha! Sucker.
Not a Good Guy
- [Gumball and Darwin are making their way back with a bag of money]
- Gumball: Hey, Mr. Charity Man! We’ve got money for the- [Gumball and Darwin see Richard, Nicole, and Anais tied up] Bald... Hi Mom! Hi Dad! Why are you tied up?
- [Nicole and Richard talk, but are muffled by the tape across their mouths]
- Gumball: Ohhh. He’s not really a good guy, is he?
- Sal: Oh, come on! You really are suckers! Now gimme the money!
- Gumball and Darwin: No!
- Gumball: [pushes Darwin] Run, Darwin! Run! [runs off as well]
- Sal: Gimme that bag right now! [chases them]
- [Security Camera footage shows Sal running down an aisle after Gumball and Darwin, whom he soon catches up with]
- Sal: [brandishing the spoon] Give me the money! [gets hit by a loaf of bread, a pebble, a cabbage and a marshmallow] Oh, come on. You're not going to stop me with a marshmallo- [gets clanged by a frozen sausage] OW! That sausage was frozen!
- [Gumball and Darwin race off again, with Sal in pursuit. They eventually grab a bikini bottom and a tire, setting the bikini bottom as a slingshot to fire the tire at Sal, running him over. This only seems to make him angrier, however. Gumball and Darwin scream and run off once more]
Richard Does Something
- [Back at the entrance, Nicole, Richard and Anais are still tied up]
- Nicole: [muffled, subtitled] Richard, do something.
- Richard: [muffled, subtitled] Don’t worry, honey. I know exactly what to do. [inhales, turning his lips inside out, and catching the tape on his tongue] Ha ha! [swallows the tape, then tips himself over and starts crawling across the floor, only to stop and start licking the mustached sausage. He throws a wink back to Nicole]
The Syrup Trap
- [Gumball is squeezing a bottle of maple syrup onto the floor]
- Gumball: Don’t worry. I’ve covered his approach with maple syrup.
- Darwin: And I covered our way out!
- [Camera zooms out to reveal two puddles of maple syrup, trapping Gumball between them]
- Gumball: What?! How am I supposed to escape?!
- Darwin: Watch out! He’s coming!
- [Sal is seen running towards them. Gumball screams and tries to run, but gets stuck in the puddle of syrup. Sal Left Thumb gets stuck in the other one. They begin to grunt and step across the puddles, with Gumball trying to escape and Sal trying to grab him]
- Sal: [grunts] Gotcha-
- [With a pop, Gumball is suddenly free and runwalks away]
- Sal: Huh? [faceplants into the syrup puddle from leaning too far forward] Ow! [pulls his head up, growling, turning red with fury]
Nicole Has to Do Everything Herself
- [Back at the entrance, Richard is still licking the sausage, Nicole gives an exasperated groan]
- Nicole: [muffled, subtitled] Why do I have to do everything myself?
- [Taking matters into her own hands, Nicole scoots a bit to the left, triggering an ice cream machine to squirt ice cream on her ropes. She then scootches over to Richard, who pulls away from the hot dog, smelling the ice cream]
- Richard: Ahh! Ice cream! [opens his mouth widely to take a bite]
Up, Up, and Away!
- Sal: [searching for Gumball and Darwin] Gimme! That! Money!
- [Gumball grabs a helium tank from a shelf]
- Sal: Or I’ll tear it out of your sorry little hands!
- [Gumball and Darwin run past unnoticed and grab a funnel]
- Sal: Come on. You know I’ll find yas.
- [Gumball and Darwin grab helmets]
- Sal: Where are yas? [suddenly looks around, getting a bad feeling] What the!? [ducks, narrowly avoiding a rigged rocket made from the helium tank, that Gumball and Darwin are riding on]
- Gumball: Ha ha! Try and catch us now!
- [Sal screams in anger and frustration, then kicks some baskets off a nearby push cart and hops on, using it as a vehicle of his own. A chase begins throughout the store]
- Darwin: Faster!
- [Sal speeds up even more]
- Gumball: He’s gaining on us! We need to go faster!
- Darwin: [salutes] Okay! [reaches back and turns the nozzle to maximum, sending the air tank into warp speed] Is this fast enough?
- Gumball: Yeaaaaaaaaah!
- [The air tank goes out of control, and Sal can only watch it fly away. As he does, he fails to watch where he’s going and crashes into a wall. The air tank flies completely out of control, with Gumball and Darwin hanging on for dear life. They crash through a display of cans, but remain on the air tank]
- Gumball and Darwin: Yes! We made it! Ha ha ha ha-
- Gumball: Oh...
- [They end up crashing into a wall themselves]
- [Gumball and Darwin are left laying on a pile of goods, with a can falling on Gumball’s head. Sal approachs, and the two gasp]
- Sal: Game over.
- Gumball: [looks around, and notices the mustached sausage] Not yet! [loads the sausage into the air tank, which fires it like a cannon]
- Sal: No- [manages to duck, as the sausage embeds itself in a paint can] Ha ha! Now gimme the dough! [grabs the money bag]
- Gumball and Darwin: No!
- Sal: Gimme!
- Darwin: No!
- Sal: Gimme!
- Darwin: No!
- Sal: Gimme!
- Darwin: No!
- Sal: Gimme!
- Darwin: No!
- Sal: All right, you’ve asked for this! [pulls out the spoon]
- Darwin: Oh my gosh! He’s got a spoon!
- Gumball: Such violence...
- [Gumball and Darwin faint, Sal grabs the moneybag]
- Sal: Heh heh... Ya suckers-
- [Sal suddenly gets hit from behind, and falls over, revealing Nicole brandishing the sausage]
- Nicole: Stop calling my kids "suckers", please. [looks over the boys] Oh, my poor little angels. Are you all right? [picks up the money bag]
- Doughnut Sheriff: [has re-entered the store] Hey guys, I just realized that I didn’t pay for the dough- Nut... [Camera points to the unconscious Gumball and Darwin, the tied up Larry, and the sausage and money bag in Nicole’s hands, then the Sheriff pulls out his taser] Drop the sausage, lady!
- Nicole: Oh, come on, it wasn’t me, it was the finger- [Camera points to Sal, who now looks like nothing more than a large fingerprint on the floor] Print... Guy...
- Doughnut Sheriff: [puts a hand on Nicole’s shoulder] Tell that to the judge, lady.
- [The scene fades to Nicole sitting in a cell. Her depressed look, however, instantly changes when she hears the family]
- Gumball, Darwin and Anais: Happy birthday, Mom! [Camera points to outside the cell, revealing them with a cake] You’re the coolest mom ever! We love you, Mom!
- [Nicole looks close to tears]
- Doughnut Sheriff: Okay lady, you’re in the clear! [escorts Sal to the cell] We caught this guy trying to rob a convenience store with a spoon. A spoon! Ha ha! [slams the cell shut] Sucker! All right, lady. Give me five minutes to do the paperwork and you’ll be outta here.
- Gumball, Darwin, Anais and Richard: Yay!
- Nicole: [rolls up her sleeve] Five minutes is all I need. [punches her fist into her palm]
- [Sal has a very clear "uh oh" look on his face as the episode ends]
The Spoon is the eighth episode of season one of The Amazing World of Gumball.
Gumball and Darwin ignorantly become accomplices to Sal Left Thumb's robbery of a gas station.
It's Nicole's birthday and Gumball
, and Anais
get her presents, but Richard
forgot to get one for her. He can't buy a gift for her because he needs to watch the kids. Then Richard sends the boys to the gas station. They pick out a holographic card that has a person on it, angry and normal. A robber
comes in and scares the cashier with an old, rusty spoon, he then raids the cash register. Gumball and Darwin are about to pay for the card when the robber sees them. The robber then lies to them, saying he is a charity man and that he wants them to collect something for the Bald People charity. Gumball and Darwin find lots of stuff, including shampoo, which they think is a perfect gift for Bald People. As Gumball gets the shampoo from the bottom of the pile, the pile falls and reveals a safe. Soon the police man comes and looks around, he is trying to eat a snack when he comes in, but he is a doughnut and it goes through the hole in him, which happens to be his mouth. Gumball and Darwin find him a snack, which ironically is a doughnut, he drives off after that. The boys try to open the safe to no avail, until the safe says they just have to say please. Upon opening the safe, they find lots of money.
Meanwhile, Nicole comes home from work and notices that the boys aren't there, she asks Richard where they are and he tells them. Nicole then tells him to put his pants on (which she is always telling him) and then the family goes to the gas station to get them. When they are there the robber ties them up and tapes their mouths shut. Gumball and Darwin see them and ask why they are tied up. Then, they see the robber and realize he doesn't work for charity and start
running. Richard swallows the tape and crawls around, and finds a hot dog on the floor and licks it. Nicole then finds some ice cream and puts it on her rope, Richard bites through it and Nicole goes to save the boys.
Gumball and Darwin defending themselves, throwing objects at the robber. They get a gas canister and try to get away from the robber before crashing into a wall. Therobber then takes the bag they were holding. Nicole then finds them and picks up the bag and a hot dog. The Doughnut Sheriff comes back and sees Nicole with the bag, Darwin and Gumball unconscious, and the cashier tied up. Nicole then gets arrested after the officer sees what happened there.
Later, Richard, Gumball, Darwin, and Anais go to the jail and gave Nicole a cake for her birthday. Then, the police man comes in with the real robber, and says Nicole is free to go, but he needs 5 minutes to fill out her paperwork. Nicole says that 5 minutes is all she needs, which gives her enough time to give the robber a beating.
- One wig brand in the gas station had the name "Gendi" on it, a reference to George Gendi, who is one of the storyboarders for the show.
- This was the last episode in the United States to be paired with another new episode on the day of its premiere until "The Flower" in season 2.
- When Sal is talking to Larry at the beginning, a poster of Ocho can be seen on the top shelf, and a poster featuring Mr. Small is visible in the background as well.
- When Gumball and Darwin pass the gas station, you can see the store is small, but when Sal chases them, the store seems to be bigger.
- When Richard says "Yes!", his whiskers disappear.
- While Gumball and Darwin are riding on the helium can, they fly through a wall then out the side of the screen.
- Richard has fear of the spoon Sal has. But in The Wand, he is seen eating with a spoon without any problem.