The Responsible is the second episode of season one of The Amazing World of Gumball.
Gumball and Darwin babysit Anais, while Nicole and Richard attend a PTA meeting.
The episode begins as Richard tries to fit on his pants. He tells Nicole they can't attend the parent meeting, but Nicole forces Richard pants to fit on him. The door bell rings and Nicoles opens the door for the babysitter. Nicole doesn't like the babysitter and slams the door. Richard neglects to hire a proper babysitter for Anais, so Nicole reluctantly allows Gumball and Darwin to babysit her instead while they go have a conference with Miss Simian at Elmore Junior High. Nicole hopes that the boys will be responsible, failing to be convinced properly because the two have no idea what "responsible" means. Still, they do promise to look after Anais.
After Nicole and Richard leave, Anais is about to go upstairs. Gumball and Darwin, however, forbid her by jumping on top of her because of their misleading belief about the dangers of stairs. So instead, Anais decides to watch Daisy the Donkey. When the commercial break comes on, Gumball then states the errors of commercials, and he and Darwin decide to smash the television set with a baseball bat, setting it on fire. They then throw a bucket of water on it despite Anais' advice not to throw water on electric fires. She then puts it out with a fire extinguisher.
Meanwhile Nicole and Richard are waiting for the Parent-Teacher Meeting outside Miss Simian's classroom. Richard claims that it's like a bad dream. Nicole calms him down, and says that she can't do anything now that they're the parents. Banana Joe's Parents run out of Miss Simian's room in tears. She greets them in a loathsome manner, and after an awkward moment of silence, she asks if Nicole is aware that Richard never managed to put on pants.
Gumball and Darwin decide to take Anais for a walk in the park, where they drag her along with a leash. The Red Old Man then compliments her, thinking she's Gumball and Darwin's pet, and teases her with a dog biscuit. Annoyed, Anais bites the old man in the finger. Assuming that she is hungry, Gumball and Darwin make her a revolting lunch consisting of a whole fish inside two slices of bread, a raw potato and a stinky old boot. They then decide to chew it thoroughly and spit it back out for her so she doesn't choke on it. She then blows the disgusting paste all over them so Gumball and Darwin make her take a bath. Darwin points out that water is dangerous, so Gumball tosses Anais out and recommends that she dry clean herself. She orders them to leave and fills up the bathtub with water anyway. Darwin hears this as Anais says that she just flushed, which reminds Gumball that Anais needs to wear a diaper so she doesn't have an "accident".
Sick of her brothers' ridiculous demands, she starts running around the house while Gumball and Darwin chase her. Unfortunately, Anais forgets to turn off the faucet and the water slowly overflows. Anais manages to lock her brothers outside on the roof while she taunts them by deliberately disobeying their rules. She starts climbing down the ladder of their bunk bed to go take a bath, but falls into the water flooding the house. Unable to open the window or the door, Gumball and Darwin are forced to enter through the sewers. They come out of the toilet and rescue Anais. The fireplace is the only opening to the outside, so they swim to it and are rocketed out into the sky and fall painfully on the sidewalk.
Meanwhile, Nicole and Richard are sitting on the front steps of the school. Richard unintentionally reminds Nicole that the kids are still home alone, which shocks Nicole into speeding off home.
The kids are outside as Nicole and Richard pull up. The front door is opened and a huge blast of water hits Nicole and Richard, who are dazed afterwards. Furious about the flooded house, Nicole demands to know who was responsible for it. Anais is about to tell the truth about her leaving the faucet running, but Gumball wants to be responsible for once and to take the blame for her. Upon seeing the furious face of her mother, he states it was Darwin to blame instead. They all give reasons why it was not their own fault, with Anais blaming their mother for giving such high responsibility to Gumball while Nicole blames Richard for not finding a proper babysitter. With no one else left to blame, Richard blames the internet. The whole family decides to go with that excuse, ending the episode.
- Gumball: "Come on, Mom. We were born reprehensible."
Gumball: "Yeah, that's what I meant."
- Nicole: "Richard, put your pants on -- we're off!"
Nicole: "Richard, pants on!"
- [Gumball and Darwin jump on top of Anais and land on her]
Anais: "Ow. What are you doing?"
Gumball: "79% of stair accidents happen on the stairs."
Anais: "What does that even mean?"
Gumball: "It means you're safer right here."
- Old Man: "Oh, isn't she lovely! [to Gumball] How old is she?"
Gumball: "She's four now."
Old Man: "Well, now. [pulls out biscuit] You wanna biscuit? Huh? You wanna taste of this, you wanna have a little taste of this? Well you can't have it, 'cause it's mine! Ooh, I was teasin' ya! [holds out biscuit too close to Anais, and she bites his hand] Aaah! Ohh, she bit me!"
Gumball: "You know what that means?"
Darwin: "She must be hungry!"
- Gumball: [to Anais] "You can run, but you can't hide!" [Anais throws various foods at them]
Gumball and Darwin: "RUN! HIDE!"
- Nicole: "Look at this bill. How do you set a swimming pool on fire?"
Richard: "I know. Pretty cool, right?"
- Richard: [saddened after seeing the burnt TV] "How do you burn a TV underwater?"
- Richard: "None of this would have happened if it wasn't for you!" [points directly at a wet, broken laptop]
Nicole: "Um... who are you blaming here?"
Richard: "The internet?"
Everyone: [agrees with Richard]
- Albert the Pervert: Hi, I'm here to sit on the baby.
Albert the Pervert: Well duh, I'm the babysitter!
- Richard: "Ohh, I feel like I'm in one of those dreams. The ones where you go to school naked."
- Nicole: "Come on, Richard. What could she possibly do to us?"
- Miss Simian: "YOU GET AN F-MINUS IN PARENTING! [Banana Joe's parents are seen running out of a room, crying] Next! Oh, the Wattersons. [pause] Are you aware that your husband isn't wearing any pants?"
- Darwin showed off some of his fishlike qualities in this episode, such as his ability to breathe underwater, and his love of fish flakes.
- The hamburger commercial in this episode makes another appearance in The Prank.
- The writing credits for this episode include "Song Lyrics" credited to Michael Gendi, despite the fact there is no song present in this episode.
- When Richard and Nicole meet Miss Simian, the bench they were previously sitting on disappears.
- When Anais' bath is finished, Gumball brings her out of the bathtub. When he does this, his whiskers are missing.
- The captions say "Daisy the Dog Show" when it is supposed to be "Daisy the Donkey Show".