To edit the transcript, click here
The Perfect Babysitters
- [Richard is attempting to put his pants on]
- Richard: Oh, no! It seems I can't put them on. I'm afraid we can't go to the parent's evening.
- [Nicole takes Richard's pants, puts belt together and zips them]
- Nicole: Ready to go.
- [Doorbell rings, Nicole opens the door]
- Nicole: Ah.
- Albert the Pervert: Hi. I'm here to sit on the baby.
- Nicole: [confused] What?
- Albert the Pervert: Well, duh! I'm the babysitter!
- [Nicole shuts the door]
- Nicole: Richard, where did you find that guy?
- Richard: [sheepishly] On the Internet...
- [Richard's pants button pops out]
- Nicole: [sighs] Where am I going to find a babysitter at this time?
- Gumball: Ahem!
- [Gumball shows hands to Darwin, who returns it, presenting themselves]
- Nicole: [sighs] I can't believe I'm going to say this. I guess you guys are old enough to babysit?
- Gumball and Darwin: Us?
- Nicole: Yes, you. But promise you'll be responsible.
- Gumball: I promise to be the most responsible kid and will handle my responsibilities in the most responsible way.
- Darwin: Yeah, responsible!
- Nicole: You have no idea what responsible means, do you?
- Gumball and Darwin: Nah.
- Nicole: It means acting like a grownup. And most of all, it means taking care of your little sister.
- Anais: [coming from upstairs] What?!
- Nicole: Can I trust you guys to do that?
- Gumball: Come on, Mom. We were born reprehensible.
- Nicole: [Corrects Gumball] Responsible.
- Gumball: Yeah, that's what I meant.
- Nicole: Richard, put your pants on. We're off.
- Richard: No!
- Nicole: Richard. Pants... on.
- Richard: No!
- [Nicole squeezes Richard into the car with her foot]
- Richard: Nooo! I don't wanna go to school!
- Nicole: We have to go! It's a parents evening, and we are the parents! [shoves Richard into the car and slams the door]
- Nicole: I'm putting a lot of trust in you kids.
- Gumball: Don't worry, Mom. You won't be disappointed.
- [Nicole drives off, Richard is still crying and moaning]
- Gumball: So how do you feel, Darwin?
- Darwin: Pretty responsible. And you?
- Gumball: I feel like a new man... a responsible man.
- [Both Gumball and Darwin chuckle]
- Anais: [sighs] I can't believe this. I'm going upstairs.
- Gumball and Darwin: [gasps] STAIRS! AAAHHH!
- [Gumball and Darwin tackle Anais to the ground]
- Anais: Oww! What are you doing?
- Gumball: Seventy-nine percent of stair accidents happen on the stairs.
- Anais: What does that even mean?
- Gumball: It means you're safer sitting here.
- [Gumball plops Anais down on the couch]
- Anais: Okay.
- [Anais turns on the TV to the Daisy the Donkey show]
- Television Set (Daisy the Donkey): Welcome to Daisy the Donkey show! We'll be right back after these messages.
- Television Set (Commercial): When you're deciding where to go for a hamburger-
- Gumball: [screams] Aah! Commercials! They'll corrupt your mind!
- [Gumball and Darwin smash the TV with baseball bats]
- Gumball: Bad commercials! Bad commercials!
- Anais: Are you completely out of your mind?
- Gumball: There's...too...much...violence...on...TV...anyway.
- Anais: And you chose to demonstrate that by smashing the TV in front of me?
- Gumball: It was the responsible thing to do.
- [Darwin and Gumball chuckle again]
- Anais: Even though you set it on fire.
- Gumball: It's not on fire. [looks over to the TV to see it is engulfed in flames] Oh, it is on fire... [grabs Darwin by the cheeks and screams] FIRE!
- [Gumball goes off screen and rushes in with a bucket of water]
- Anais: Stop! Don't throw water on an electrical-
- [Darwin spits a stream of water on the engulfed TV, electrocuting himself and Gumball]
- Anais: -fire... You should always use a fire extinguisher or if unavailable, baking soda. [puts out the fire with an extinguisher] But most importantly call an adult or the emergency services.
- Gumball: Yeah of course, but ours was a responsible demonstration of what not to do in case of an electrical fire.
- Anais: How could Mom put you in charge? [opens a book]
- [Darwin kicks the book she was reading out the window]
- Anais: What is wrong with you?!
- Darwin: Papercuts.
- Anais: Ridiculous, and look at the mess you're making!
- Gumball: It's a small price to pay for your safety.
- Darwin: You're too young to understand.
- Anais: Excuse me, but who makes your breakfast every day?
- Gumball and Darwin: You, of course.
- Anais: And who helps you with your homework?
- Gumball and Darwin: You.
- Anais: So I should be in charge.
- Gumball: But who did Mom put in charge?
- Anais: You...
- Gumball: So who has to do what we say?
- Anais: [sighs] Me.
- [Scene cuts to Elmore Junior High; Richard and Nicole are waiting outside Miss Simian's room]
- Richard: Uhh, I feel like I'm in one of those dreams. The ones where you go to school naked.
- Nicole: Oh come on Richard, stop being so dramatic. We're the parents now, there's nothing she can do to you.
- Miss Simian: You get an F minus in parenting! Next!
- [Banana Joe's parents come out of the room crying]
- Miss Simian: Oh, the Wattersons.
- [Awkward silence]
- Miss Simian: Are you aware that your husband isn't wearing any pants?
Back to the Kids
- [Scene cuts back to the Watterson house]
- Gumball: Aw, look at that grumpy little face.
- Darwin: I know what will cheer her up. How about a walk in the park?
- Anais: Hmm, yeah I guess that could be okay.
- [Gumball and Darwin are at the park, Anais is on a leash like a dog]
- Gumball: Come on, it's for your own safety.
- Marvin: Oh, isn't she lovely? How old is she then?
- Gumball: She's four now.
- Marvin: Well now, you want a biscuit? Huh? You won't get a taste of this you won't ever get a taste of this that's right cause it's mine. Whoo I was just teasin' ya, you want a little bit of-
- [Anais bites Bert]
- Marvin: Ah! Oh! she bit me!
- Gumball: You know what this means?
- Darwin: She must be hungry!
- [Anais facepalms]
- [Scene goes back to the house]
- Gumball: It's time for num-nums! We have a mackerel sandwich, a potato, and a little something for dessert.
- [Gumball lifts up the lid of a plate and an old boot is revealed; Anais is visibly disgusted]
- Anais: Are you kidding me?
- Gumball: [gasp] Of course! That food is way too chunky for a little baby like her, she could choke.
- Darwin: I know what to do.
- [Darwin takes the tray from Anais, he and Gumball begin to chew the food for her grossly and vomit it back onto the tray; Anais is disgusted; Gumball draws a smiley face in it]
- Gumball: Bon appetit! [places a straw on the food]
- Anais: Alright, you asked for this. [inhales and blows the food all over Gumball, Darwin, and the walls]
- Gumball: Okay, bath time.
- [Scene cuts to bathroom, Gumball is testing the water temperature]
- Gumball: Ah, just right.
- Darwin: Isn't water dangerous?
- [Gumball gasps and tosses Anais back onto the rug]
- Anais: How do you expect me to wash myself without water?
- Gumball: Haven't you heard of dry cleaning?
- Anais: Fine, get out of here!
- [Slams the door on Gumball and Darwin]
- Gumball: They grow up so fast.
- Darwin: Shhh!
- [Anais is seen filling up the tub with water]
- Darwin: Is that water I hear?
- [Anais opens the door a little]
- Anais: No! I just... flushed?
- Gumball: Oh, speaking of which we're gonna need you to wear this.
- [He holds up a diaper]
- Anais: WHAT!?!
- Gumball: We don't want you to have any accidents.
- Darwin: Very responsible thinking, Gumball.
- Gumball: Hm, thanks.
- [They both chuckle]
- Gumball: Now be a big girl and...
- [They both gasp, Anais is at the bottom of the steps]
- Anais: There's no way I'm wearing a diaper!
- [She runs away, Gumball and Darwin chase after her, they forget to turn off the running water in the bathroom]
- Gumball: Get back here!
- [They chase her through the living room, making a huge mess in the process]
- Gumball: Come back Anais! You can run but you can't hide!
- [She hides under the sofa]
- Gumball and Darwin: Run! Hide!
- Gumball: Put it on!
- Anais: Never!
- [Anais runs upstairs and barricades herself in Gumball and Darwin's room]
- Gumball: Open this door young lady! Don't make me tell Mom that you've been a bad baby!
- [Gumball somehow stretches his eye in the crack of the door]
- Gumball: [Screams] Aah! She's not in there, she ran out the window!
- [They kick open their door and climb onto the roof]
- Gumball: Oh, what's mom gonna think? We're in so much trouble!
- [Anais sticks her head out the window]
- Anais: You goons really walked into that one!
- [She shuts the window]
- Gumball: Anais, let us in.
- Anais: Babysit yourself on the roof until Mom and Dad come back.
- Gumball and Darwin: Anais! Anais!
- [They hit the window repeatedly, Anais is on Gumball's bed]
- Anais: Oh look, a book, I hope I don't give myself a papercut.
- [She giggles and bounces on the bed]
- Gumball and Darwin: Anais!
- Anais: Oh no, no diaper. I surely hope I don't have an accident, on your bed!
- Gumball and Darwin: Anais! [They both notice something offscreen] Anais!!
- Anais: And you know what I'm gonna have now? A nice relaxing bath, with real water!
- [Anais begins to slide down, Gumball and Darwin's room is nearly flooded, Anais lands in the water and gasps]
- [The scene cuts to Richard and Nicole sitting on the front steps of the school]
- Richard: Well, it could've been worse.
- Nicole: Are you kidding me? Look at the bill, how do you set fire to a swimming pool?
- Richard: [Laughs] I know, pretty good huh?
- [Nicole gives him a death glare]
- Richard: ...that you're always there to keep an eye on them?
- [Nicole remembers the kids are still home alone, gets in the car and speeds home]
- [Scene goes back to their house, Anais is struggling to open the window]
- Anais: Do something!
- Gumball: Get on the bed and stay where you are. We'll figure out a way to rescue you.
- [Gumball and Darwin are on the porch]
- Gumball: Don't worry! I'll smash the door in- [headbutts the door and nothing happens except him recoiling in pain] Ah! You wouldn't know where the keys are by any chance, would you?
- [Darwin looks in the window, the keys float by underwater]
- Darwin: Somewhere safe.
- Gumball: Ah, what are we gonna do?
- [A manhole is seen, the scene then cuts to the house's bathroom, where Darwin and Gumball have evidently swum up the sewer pipe and gone out the toilet. Gumball and Darwin swim in their room where Anais is waiting. Gumball coughs up two chunks ofwater that he was holding in]
- Gumball: Hey, how's it going?
- Anais: I don't know, how do you think it's going?
- [Darwin is shown trying to open the window, which is not opening]
- Gumball: Okay, take a deep breath.
- [They swim down the stairs, where Darwin finds the keys, but before they can open the door the keys are sucked out of his grip by the water pressure coming from the fireplace. Anais gets the idea to go out the chimney, so they move the couch and swim up and are caught in a violent geyser erupting from the chimney]
- Anais, Darwin and Gumball: Woohoo!
- [They all celebrate]
- Gumball: Good job everyone!
- [The geyser suddenly stops, the kids are caught in midair, they all look down and start to scream, Gumball pulls out the diaper he put in his pocket]
- Gumball: Hey don't worry, we can use this diaper as a parachute and float safely down to-
- [They hit the ground face first with a loud smack, they hear a car in the front yard and it turns out to be their parents coming home]
- Anais: [Gasps] They're back!
- Anais, Darwin, and Gumball: Oh no.
- [They duck back around the corner, Nicole storms out of the car while Richard cautiously follows]
- Richard: See honey? I told you there was nothing to worry about.
- [Nicole opens the door and a huge burst of water hits them, leaving them filthy and stunned]
- Gumball: Hi.
- Nicole: Thank heavens you're safe!
- [She runs up to Anais and gives her a hug]
- Anais: So you're not angry at us for trashing the house?
- Nicole: Oh no. Angry doesn't BEGIN TO COVER IT!!!!!!!
- [Scene cuts to the interior of the house, with the whole family there]
- Richard: How do you burn a TV underwater?
- Nicole: WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS!?!
- [Anais, Gumball, and Darwin look shocked]
- Anais: Mom, it's my--
- Gumball: No, I've got this.
- Anais: No, Gumball, it was me that left the faucet running!
- Gumball: Please sis, let your brother be "responsible" for once in his life.
- [Anais gets teary eyed, and runs over to give Gumball a hug]
- Anais: Thanks, Gumball.
- [Gumball inhales and begins to tell Nicole what happened]
- Gumball: Mom... [sees Nicole with flames in her eyes], it was Darwin. [points to Darwin]
- Darwin: WHAT!?! It was her that flooded the place! [points to Anais]
- Anais: I thought you were going to take the rap! Anyway, it was clearly Mom's fault. She was the one who left Gumball in charge.
- Nicole: Well it, it's Dad's fault for not finding a proper babysitter!
- Richard: Well, um, none of this would've happened if it wasn't for you! [points to a broken computer on the floor]
- [Scene falls silent for a few moments]
- Nicole: Um, who are you blaming here?
- Richard: The internet?
- All: OK, that's enough.
- [Episode ends]
The Responsible is the second episode of season one of The Amazing World of Gumball, and the second episode overall.
Gumball and Darwin babysit Anais, while Nicole and Richard attend a PTA meeting.
The episode begins as Richard tries to fit on his pants. He tells Nicole they can't attend the parent meeting, but Nicole forces Richard pants to fit on him. The door bell rings and Nicoles opens the door for the babysitter. Nicole doesn't like the babysitter and slams the door. Richard
neglects to hire a proper babysitter for Anais
, so Nicole
reluctantly allows Gumball
to babysit her instead while they go have a conference with Miss Simian
at Elmore Junior High
. Nicole hopes that the boys will be responsible, failing to be convinced properly because the two have no idea what "responsible" means. Still, they do promise to look after Anais.
After Nicole and Richard leave, Anais is about to go upstairs. Gumball and Darwin, however, forbid her by jumping on top of her because of their misleading belief about the dangers of stairs. So instead, Anais decides to watch Daisy the Donkey. When the commercial break comes on, Gumball then states the errors of commercials, and he and Darwin decide to smash the television set with a baseball bat, setting it on fire. They then throw a bucket of water on it despite Anais' advice not to throw water on electric fires. She then puts it out with a fire extinguisher.
Meanwhile Nicole and Richard are waiting for the Parent-Teacher Meeting outside Miss Simian's classroom. Richard claims that it's like a bad dream. Nicole calms him down, and says that she can't do anything now that they're the parents. Banana Joe's Parents run out of Miss Simian's room in tears. She greets them in a loathsome manner, and after an awkward moment of silence, she asks if Nicole is aware that Richard never managed to put on pants.
Gumball and Darwin decide to take Anais for a walk in the park, where they drag her along with a leash. Marvin Finklehimer then compliments her, thinking she's Gumball and Darwin's pet, and teases her with a dog biscuit. Annoyed, Anais bites the old man in the finger. Assuming that she is hungry, Gumball and Darwin make her a revolting lunch consisting of a whole fish inside two slices of bread, a raw potato and a stinky old boot. They then decide to chew it thoroughly and spit it back out for her so she doesn't choke on it. She then blows the disgusting paste all over them to show anger. Seeing as there is a big mess, Gumball and Darwin make Anais take a bath. Darwin points out that water is dangerous, so Gumball tosses Anais out and recommends that she dry clean herself. She orders them to leave and fills up the bathtub with water anyway. Darwin hears this as Anais says that she just flushed, which reminds Gumball that Anais needs to wear a diaper so she doesn't have an "accident".
Sick of her brothers' ridiculous demands, she starts running around the house while Gumball and Darwin chase her. Unfortunately, Anais forgets to turn off the faucet and the water slowly overflows. Anais manages to lock her brothers outside on the roof while she taunts them by deliberately disobeying their rules. She starts climbing down the ladder of their bunk bed to go take a bath "with real water (as Gumball and Darwin forbid)", but falls into the rising water which is flooding the house. Unable to open the window or the door, Gumball and Darwin are forced to enter through the sewers. They come out of the toilet and rescue Anais. The fireplace is the only opening to the outside, so they swim into it and are rocketed out into the sky from the chimneyand fall painfully onto the sidewalk.
Meanwhile, Nicole and Richard are sitting on the front steps of the school. Richard unintentionally reminds Nicole that the kids are still home alone, which shocks Nicole into speeding off home.
The kids are outside as Nicole and Richard pull up. The front door is opened and a huge blast of water hits Nicole and Richard, who are dazed afterwards. Furious about the flooded house, Nicole demands to know who was responsible for it. Anais is about to tell the truth about her leaving the faucet running, but Gumball wants to be responsible for once and to take the blame for her. Upon seeing the furious face of her mother, he states it was Darwin to blame instead. They all give reasons why it was not their own fault, with Anais blaming their mother for giving such high responsibility to Gumball while Nicole blames Richard for not finding a proper babysitter. With no one else left to blame, Richard blames the Internet. The whole family decides to go with that excuse, ending the episode.
Gumball: "Come on, Mom. We were born reprehensible."
Gumball: "Yeah, that's what I meant."
Nicole: "Richard, put your pants on -- we're off!"
Nicole: "Richard, pants on!"
[Gumball and Darwin jump on top of Anais and land on her]
Anais: "Ow. What are you doing?"
Gumball: "79% of stair accidents happen on the stairs."
Anais: "What does that even mean?"
Gumball: "It means you're safer right here."
Old Man: "Oh, isn't she lovely! [to Gumball] How old is she?"
Gumball: "She's four now."
Old Man: "Well, now. [pulls out biscuit] You wanna biscuit? Huh? You wanna taste of this, you wanna have a little taste of this? Well you can't have it, 'cause it's mine! Ooh, I was teasin' ya! [holds out biscuit too close to Anais, and she bites his hand] Aaah! Ohh, she bit me!"
Gumball: "You know what that means?"
Darwin: "She must be hungry!"
Gumball: [to Anais] "You can run, but you can't hide!" [Anais throws various foods at them]
Gumball and Darwin: "RUN! HIDE!"
Nicole: "Look at this bill. How do you set a swimming pool on fire?"
Richard: "I know. Pretty cool, right?"
Richard: [saddened after seeing the burnt TV] "How do you burn a TV underwater?"
Richard: "None of this would have happened if it wasn't for you!" [points directly at a wet, broken laptop]
Nicole: "Um... who are you blaming here?"
Richard: "The internet?"
Everyone: [agrees with Richard]
Albert the Pervert: Hi, I'm here to sit on the baby.
Albert the Pervert: Well duh, I'm the babysitter!
Richard: "Ohh, I feel like I'm in one of those dreams. The ones where you go to school naked."
Nicole: "Come on, Richard. What could she possibly do to us?"
Miss Simian: "YOU GET AN F-MINUS IN PARENTING! [Banana Joe's parents are seen running out of a room, crying] Next! Oh, the Wattersons. [pause] Are you aware that your husband isn't wearing any pants?"
- Darwin showed off some of his fishlike qualities in this episode, such as his ability to breathe underwater, and his love of fish flakes.
- The writing credits for this episode include "Song Lyrics" credited to Michael Gendi, despite the fact there is no song present in this episode.
- This episode aired as a preview of the series in the UK.
- The hamburger commercial in this episode makes another appearance in The Prank.
- This is the first of several times that Richard is seen in his underwear, though he is wearing his shirt this time.
- When Richard and Nicole meet Miss Simian, the bench they were previously sitting on disappears.
- When Anais' bath is finished, Gumball brings her out of the bathtub. When he does this, his whiskers are missing.
- When Gumball and Darwin begin to destroy the television, the wrestling tape that has fallen onto the cabinet disappears in the following scene.
- The captions say "Daisy the Dog Show" when it is supposed to be "Daisy the Donkey Show".
- When the episode first aired, the title card read "Responsible" instead of "The Responsible."