The Quest is the seventh episode of season one of The Amazing World of Gumball.
Gumball and Darwin lose Anais' Daisy the Donkey doll and have to get it back from Tina Rex.
The episode starts with Anais
trying to retrieve her pull string donkey, Daisy
, from Tobias
. She asks Gumball
to get it back from them. He tries to tell Tobias that if Tobias doesn't give Daisy back, the mountains will shake, cities will crumble, the heavens will be ripped apart, and then a meteor of Gumball's horrible wrath will grind Tobias to dust. He was hoping Tobias would believe him, but Tobias throws it out the window. The camera moves to where Daisy landed, and showed Leslie
picking the doll up. At school, Gumball and Darwin
try to find Daisy, but Daisy eventually ends up in the hands of Tina
through the flick of a finger.
Too scared to tell Anais that Tina had Daisy, Gumball and Darwin give Anais a cheap replacement, which is purple while Anais' Daisy is pink. When the string of this toy is pulled, it dances and sings in Chinese, while Anais' Daisy says "Sweet dreams" and makes donkey noises without movement. Then, one of the fake Daisy's eyes pops out and the toy bursts into flames, burning the plush to reveal the robot in the toy. Anais knows that the boys are lying because their hands are sweaty, they have nervous body language and their eyes roll every time they speak.
That night, Anais makes Gumball and Darwin go to Tina's house and get her toy back (with some cute eye persuasion). At the dump, which is apparently where Tina lives, they find Daisy under Tina's arm. Anais tosses a pole that Gumball fails to catch and hits Darwin right in the face. They mess around with the sleeping Tina and get the doll back, but soon get chased by Tina as she tries to steal it back. Tina chases them into an abandoned car, and smashes the roof just as the trio was getting out. They continue running away from Tina. Anais is holding Daisy and trips. Gumball told Anais to throw Daisy to him. Gumball then said that since he can't catch it, it will fly somewhere else. Gumball ends up catching Daisy, and gets cornered by Tina.
Anais succeeds in trapping Tina under a crane claw, and Tina tells them that she has never had a toy before and that Daisy helped her sleep and that it gets scary at night. Anais decides to let Tina keep Daisy. Tina then warns the trio that her dad eats trespassers, just as her dad walks into frame and roars.
Anais: (deep, demonic voice) NO. IT'S. NOT.
Gumball: (scared) OK, we'll get it back.
Tina: That's very touching, (deep voice) but now you better start running.
Gumball, Darwin and Anais: Why?
Tina: My dad eats trespassers.
Anais: Listen, Gumball, I am NOT spending the night without Daisy! You're just gonna have to go to Tina's place and get her back!
Gumball: What?! Why me?
Anais: Because...because... (makes her cute face) Because you were the one who lost her in the first place.
Gumball: (makes a cute face too) But I'm just a little boy. And she's a giant T-Rex.
Anais: But you're my big brother.
Gumball: But I don't want to get my face pounded to a pulp.
(the two of them continue to exchange cute faces at each other until Gumball gives in)
Gumball: (stops making face) Fine, I'll go.
(Anais giggles with victory)
Gumball: But you two are coming with me!
(Anais and Darwin groan with exasperation and acceptance)
Gumball: (catches Daisy) I hate myself.
(throws Daisy to Darwin)
Darwin: I hate yourself.
- In an early storyboard for this episode, Sussie was supposed to be tossing Anais doll around with Tobias, but the storyboard artists dropped her for Carrie for unknown reasons.
- Tina is shown to live in a junkyard, which may suggest that her family is homeless, or that they live there because it is the only place big enough for her and her family to live comfortably.
- Mr. Robinson's car is visible in the junkyard.
- On July 11, 2012, this episode was aired in the US with the UK opening. It's likely that this was accidental as it (along with the other episodes) is usually aired with the US opening.
- The song that the robotic Daisy sang in Chinese can be translated into: "I am a small Daisy, I love to dance. I am a small Daisy, I love to... [burns up]"
- In recent reruns, the title card and opening credits are cut out for unknown reasons.
- In this episode, Anais gives her Daisy doll to Tina, but in "The Refund", she has it back, which implies that this episode may take place sometime before "The Quest", or that Anais bought another one.
- When Gumball tells Darwin that Tina's vision is based around movement, Tina states that that only works in the movies, referencing a (scientifically inaccurate) scene from the movie Jurassic Park.