To edit the transcript, click here
The Boyfriend Game
- [Molly, Carmen, Carrie, Teri, Penny, Masami and Leslie are inside Molly's new treehouse]
- Molly: So what do you think of my treehouse, girls?
- The girls (except Masami): [they nod and cheer]
- Leslie: I love what you've done with the bathroom.
- [The "bathroom" is a hole in the floor and a roll of paper next to it]
- Molly: Thanks! I went for understated sheets.
- Penny: Molly has such a good eye for interior design.
- The girls (except Masami): [they nod and cheer]
- Masami: Boring! You think because it's on a tree it's all that. Well, it isn't, it's just as boring as a real house. I mean, what is it you actually do in here, Molly?
- Molly: Well, I just hang out, watch the boys...
- [The girls see through the window Darwin, Tobias and Banana Joe cheering Gumball to jump over a van with a skateboard, he fails]
- Masami: Lame! You don't watch boys, you kiss them.
- The girls: [surprised] What?!
- Masami: Hold on! Don't tell you don't have boyfriends. You do, Molly, right?
- Molly: Hmm! Sure I do! You don't know him, though. He's way older and... he's in High School! [smiles]
- [Everyone is surprised]
- Teri: Well, my boyfriend is so old that he doesn't have a babysitter!
- [Everyone is surprised]
- Carmen: Well, mine's so old, he stopped wearing braces!
- [Everyone is surprised]
- Carrie: Well, mine is so old that he doesn't even have teeth. [flips her hair]
- [Everyone looks awkwardly at Carrie]
- Penny: [goes near the window] I wish I had a boyfriend. [looks through the window]
- [Camera changes to the boys, Gumball gets up and cracks his arms, back and neck]
- Gumball: Did Penny see my stunt?
- Banana Joe: Don't tell me you wanna impress those... those... those... perfumed sissies!
- Gumball: You mean those girls over there? Nah... [like if he was tough] They wouldn't care about a handsome bachelor, 12 years old, who likes foreign cinema, fine dining, extreme sports and long romantic walks on the beach by moonlight.
- Banana Joe: Let's make a pact, right here, right now. Pals before gals! [puts his hand in the middle of them]
- Darwin and Tobias: [they put their hands above Joe's] Pals before gals!
- Gumball: [shrugs] Ok... [puts his hand, looks to the window, Penny waves, Gumball does the same]
- Tobias: Wait, wait, wait! Let's make a blood pact! [tries to make a wound in his hand, he can't]
- [Camera changes to the girls]
- Molly: So, your turn to tell us, Masami. Do you have a boyfriend?
- Masami: [nervous] Yeah, he is... it's... [looks through the window] it's Darwin!
- The girls: Darwin!?
- Masami: Yeah, he's great because... he's got legs an, you know... a head. [fakes smiles]
- Carrie: Okay.
- [Gumball, Darwin, Banana Joe and Tobias are together; Tobias is still trying to make a wound in his hand]
- Gumball: Dude, stop it already.
- [The girls are coming]
- Banana Joe: Guys, guys, guys! Enemy at 12 o'clock. [Gumball, Darwin and Tobias look at their watches] No, this way! [points at the girls]
- [The girls are approaching]
- Masami: There he is.
- Banana Joe: Remember, pals before gals.
- [They nod]
- Masami: Hello, sweet cheeks.
- The boys: [surprised] WHAT!?!
- Carrie: Oh, c'mon. He is not your boyfriend, Masami.
- Masami: Ha! He so is. Look. Hold my book, boyfriend. [gives book to Darwin]
- Darwin: Mmmm. Okay?
- Masami: [leaves with the girls] I'll show you how he likes me at the treehouse. [the girls laugh]
- Banana Joe: I can't believe it. You, you, you... girl-lover!
- Gumball: It's always the quiet ones.
- Darwin: [angry, throws the book] She's not my girlfriend! What am I gonna do? What am I gonna do!? I know, I'll just run away and hide forever! [jumps out of the window; he breaks his leg, goes away] I'll never forget you, guys!
- Gumball: That was dramatic.
- Penny: [out of scene] Hey, Gumball.
- Gumball: [waves to her] Hey, Penny.
- Penny: Wanna walk me to the canteen?
- Gumball: [extremely happy] Definitely... [Banana Joe and Tobias are upset] definitely not, definitely not now, but maybe... later?
- Penny: [looks confused at Gumball]
- Banana Joe and Tobias: [they disapprove this]
- [Gumball jumps out of the window like Darwin did; breakes his leg and goes]
- Penny: Ok? [confused, waves to him] See you later!
- [Gumball is in line to get his food, cracks his arm]
- Darwin: [whispering] Gumball! [Gumball looks at him, he's hiding] I'm scared
- Gumball: Darwin? I thought you ran away forever.
- Darwin: I got hungry. [the girls are at a table laughing] Oh, no! They're here. [they peer through a column] What am I gonna do now?
- Gumball: Don't worry buddy. [they start walking] If you can't see them, they can't see you. [they splash their play on their face, they go and crash with a column, they stop at the girl's table] Ok, I think we're safe. [they remove the plate from their face; realise where they are]
- Gumball and Darwin: [they scream scared, gradually stop] Hey.
- Masami: Yeah, hi. I was just talking about you, boyfriend. Come and sit by me. Oh, c'mon! Don't be shy, sugar lumps, and give me a hug. [gets close to him and tries to kiss him]
- Gumball: Excuse me. Is... there room... for one more. [gets in the middle of them] So, what were we talking about?
- Masami: [gets a little away from them] Ha! Well, before you so rudly interrupted us, we were talking about how Darwin is gonna kiss me in the tree house.
- Darwin: [shocked] What?!
- Masami: Yeah. Because that's what boyfriend and girlfriend do. [winks] Come on, boyfriend, let's go somewhere more private. [Darwin's still shocked] Boyfriend! [leaves, Darwin follows her]
- Darwin: [stops, whispering to Gumball] Help... me! [goes]
- Gumball: Don't worry, buddy. I'm here for you. Pals before... [Penny passes by and winks at Gumball] Hi, Penny.
- Penny: Hey, Gumball.
- Gumball: Where was I? Oh yeah, Darwin!
The Swimming pool
- Masami: Darwin! Darwin, where are you? Darwin? Darwin! [leaves]
- [Gumball passes by and notices some bubbles coming out the pool]
- Gumball: Huh? [looks at the pool, sees Darwin underwater] What are you doing here?
- Darwin: She won't find me down here. She hates getting her hair wet.
- Gumball: Really?
- Masami: [to Rocky] Hey, have you seen Darwin around?
- Gumball: [ looks at the high dive] Don't worry buddy, I'm on it. [on the high dive] Oh, oh man. [takes a deep breath] Pals before gals! [jumps off]
- Penny: Hey Masami, have you seen Gumball anywhere?
- Gumball: Oh no, I can't do that to Penny. [sighs] On one hand, I create a diversion to save Darwin, but on the other hand, I splash Penny and look like a... [falls flat on the water and sinks]
- Penny: What was that?
- Masami: I don't know, but it sounded painful.
- Penny: Oh, well! See you at the treehouse. [leaves]
- Masami: Darwin! [Darwin comes up, inhaling] There you are! C'mon, we're going for ice-cream. [they leave]
- [Gumball emerges, sore; Idaho is passing by with two ice-creams, Gumball grabs them and put them on his chest]
- Idaho: Hey!
- [Idaho leaves angrily, Rocky passes by and notices the ice-creams on Gumball's chest]
- Rocky: Hey, dude! Nice bikini!
- Gumball: Thanks. Oh, Rocky, wait! [takes the ice-cream off his chest] You've had girlfriends before, right?
- Rocky: Oh, yeah! Thousands of them!
- Gumball: And how did you get rid of them?
- Rocky: Well, usually, I just close my eyes and open my heart, and when I open my eyes again, they're gone...
- Gumball: What do you mean?
- Rocky: Well, I guess they don't want me to talk about my feelings...
- Gumball: So, you mean, openly expressing your emotional turmoil, rather than coming up with a convoluted little scheme. It's so crazy it just might work.
- [Gumball is in a wastebasket and gives a thumbs up to Darwin who is nervous]
- Darwin: Listen, Masami. This is very difficult for me to say. I'm leaving. We've had good times together, but it's just not right for me. I can't help how I feel. It's not your fault, it's mine. I'm just not ready for something this amazing. [Suddenly, He gets angry to her]You deserve someone better. Now farewell, dear heart. [Darwin waves, giving her a go on motion, then Masami starts crying; whispering to Gumball] What should I do?
- Gumball: I don't know.
- Leslie: [passing by] Nice work, Romeo.
- Darwin: Okay, okay. I didn't mean it. Boyfriend joke. Look, I'm laughing. [fake laughing] You can stop crying now, please. [masami shoots a lightning bolt] Please, I'll do anything you want. I'll go to the treehouse. I'll... I'll kiss you. [Masami immediately stops]
- Masami: Okay, see ya there, sweet lips.
- Gumball: [Gumball walks over, chuckling] Oh, man. I am so sorry.
- Darwin: [face turns red] What did you make me do? WHAT DID YOU MAKE ME DO?! I have to kiss a girl. I'm going to get married, I don't wanna get married.
- Gumball: I'm sorry, dude. Don't be like that...
- Darwin: Not cool, man. NOT COOL!
- Gumball: Don't worry, buddy, I'll save you!
- Darwin: How?! You need to have a date to get in that treehouse!
- Gumball: Yeah, that is true.
- Banana Joe: [with Tobias] And what happened to "pals before gals"?
- Gumball: That's cool, I'll find a way to save him.
- Banana Joe: You better, cause if you don't, we will. [they leave]
- Penny: Hi, Gumball. [gumball follows Penny happily]
- [Darwin and Masami arrive at the ladder of the treehouse]
- Masami: After you, boyfriend. [Masami winks and Darwin gets scared]
- Darwin: [whispering] Somebody, please, help me.
- Masami: What did you say?
- Darwin: Nothing! I'm climbing.
- Gumball: Hey, Darwin!
- Darwin: [Darwin gasps] Oh, no! They got you, too!
- Gumball: Oh yeah, they got me. It was horrible, ohh. Oh, no, don't drag me in there and kiss me. Hehehe. Oh, well, now that we're here...
- Masami: So, girls, where are all of your boyfriends? [awkward silence, along with whistling]
- Teri: Okay, girls, confession time. My boyfriend's not real. [everyone gasps, then the rest of the girls, and Leslie, confess as well]
- Masami: So, me and Penny are the only ones with boys to kiss. Darwin? Come on, boyfriend! [all the girls start chanting kiss, while Darwin is backing away]
- Darwin: Gumball, do something.
- Gumball: Just a minute. Hehe. Sorry, I have to save my best friend. [Penny grabs Gumball's hand making him to smile]
- Penny: I'm really glad you came.
- Darwin: [he's at bay] Please, you don't wanna kiss me! I taste like fish!
- Masami: [kisses the wall as Darwin got away] Get back here!
- Darwin: Ahhhh, Gumball! [Darwin is running from Masami and they start to fade out, while Gumball and Penny are by the window]
- Penny: Such a beautiful day, Gumball.
- Gumball: Yeah, but not as beautiful as your antlers. [they both suddenly end up in the Universe scene] sighs Can you feel the Universe moving around us.
- Penny: Uh, yeah, it's more like a swaying motion, actually. [outside the treehouse, Banana Joe and Tobias are chopping down the tree]
- Gumball: Let's kiss and remember this for all the eternity.
- Masami: Let's kiss, so I can show these losers whose boss. [the tree starts falling, Gumball is sliding to Darwin, both with their lips puckered up, and you see Penny and Masami's reaction to Gumball and Darwin kissing by mistake]
- Banana Joe and Tobias: Timber! [the tree falls over on Banana Joe]
- Gumball: Wow, that was amazing. Kissing Penny was like being run over by a unicorn.
- Darwin: And kissing Masami wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
- Gumball: Bye, Penny.
- Darwin: See ya later, sugar lumps.
- Gumball: [sighs] What fascinating creatures.
- Banana Joe: Pals before gals!
- [Episode Ends]
The Pressure is the ninth episode of season one of The Amazing World of Gumball.
Masami tries to impress the Treehouse Girls by pretending that Darwin is her boyfriend.
The episode starts with a view of Molly's tree house and later shows Molly
, and Masami
in tree house watching boys, Gumball
, Banana Joe
, and Tobias
, attempting a stunt involving Gumball jumping off a ramp on a skateboard over a bus or van which ends with Gumball crashing into the van. Masami exclaims that it's lame and says they kiss
boys instead. When the other girls become confused in unison, Masami questions them whether or not if they have boyfriends. Molly answers first by lying that she has a boyfriend who is older than her and goes to high school. The others girls answer in the same manner, except that they make their false boyfriends even more older (going so far as Carrie's boyfriend having no teeth). After that, Penny responds by saying that she wishes she had a boyfriend, although she truly has eyes for Gumball.
It later transitions to where Gumball gets up from the failed attempt of a stunt to impress Penny, and starts flexing his thin arms and saying good things about himself (eligible bachelor, etc.). Banana Joe then wants to make a 'pal before gals' pact. The four boys agree to it and Tobias later says for them to also make a blood pact, however he is using a dull twig and hurts his hand a lot instead of actually making a cut for a blood pact.
When Masami is asked if she has a boyfriend, she lies and says it is Darwin. The next day at school, it starts with Tobias continuing to attempt to make a blood pact with the stick with Gumball telling him to just stop. Masami appears, to try to prove to the other girls that Darwin is her boyfriend, by getting him to hold her notebook. Darwin confusedly holds it, making Gumball, Tobias and Banana Joe think that they are both in love. Darwin says to the other boys that he doesn't have a girlfriend, and to avoid her he'll hide forever. He jumps out of a window and runs away forever. Gumball gets asked by Penny to walk her to the school water fountain. He says he will...not...but he might...do it later(?). When the boys are dissatisfied, he jumps out the window, leaving Penny sad.
At lunchtime in the school cafeteria, Gumball spots Darwin hiding under the rails of the tray line, so the girls wouldn't see him. (He got hungry when he decided to run away forever.) They saw him, so Gumball and Darwin put their lunch trays over their eyes and walked around, because Gumball suggested "If you can't see them, they can't see you." Unfortunately, being blind and unable to see where they are going, the boys end up at Masami's table. Masami attempts to hug Darwin, but they move to a "more private place" as Gumball squeezes in between them. Masami then tells Darwin that he is kissing her at the tree house.
At The Elmore Jr. High Pool Place, Gumball finds Darwin hiding in the pool to avoid Masami (she hates getting her hair wet). Gumball chooses to stop her from kissing him, by jumping off a diving board. As he is falling, he sees Penny, thus causing a dilemma: to embarrass himself and save Darwin or to look good and not save Darwin. As he is deciding what to do, he hits the water with a painful belly flop, thus not having Penny notice him and Darwin being found by Masami.
Gumball, taking advice from Rocky, tells Darwin to open up to Masami and break up with her. Upon being broken up with, Masami starts crying. Feeling guilty, Darwin says he'll do anything for her to stop crying including kissing her. Masami immediately stops, then says she'll see him at the tree house. Darwin, aggravated, tells Gumball that if he's going to help, he needs to get to that tree house by getting a date. Before leaving Banana Joe tells Gumball that if he doesn't do anything, he and Tobias will.
Gumball goes to the tree house expecting to kiss Penny, Darwin is cornered by Masami, who is trying to kiss him. As Gumball is about to rescue him, Penny grabs his hand and those two are about to kiss (willingly, this time). Meanwhile, Tobias and Banana Joe finish chopping the tree house down. As the tree is about to fall, everyone but Gumball, Darwin, Penny and Masami escape. However, Gumball misses Penny's and Masami gets out of the way of Darwin's. Gumball and Darwin, both with closed eyes and puckered lips, unawarely kiss each other.
When the tree falls down, it crushes Banana Joe. After the crash, Gumball and Darwin both comment on how great the kiss was, with Gumball talking about Penny, and Darwin talking about Masami. The two leave with a post-kiss-afterglow, and Penny and Masami both look at each other with confused gazes. It ends with Banana Joe exclaiming 'pals before gals!' with his peel broken.
Teri: Well, my boyfriend's so old, that he doesn't have a baby sitter!
Carmen: Well, mine's so old, he stopped wearing braces!
Carrie: Well mine is so old that he doesn't even have teeth.
All: (look at Carrie awkwardly)
Rocky: Hey dude! Nice bikini!
- Starting with this episode, all new episodes air with a rerun instead of being paired with another new episode.
- Each time Gumball has puppy-dog eyes around Penny in this episode, a horn-honking sound plays.
- Despite Leslie not having made up a boyfriend, he still confesses along with the other girls.
- This episode has the most main girl characters.
- Despite the fact that Leslie is a boy, he was seen in the Girls Club. It's probably due to the reason he likes hanging out with girls more than with boys, or he was invited due to the fact that he is Penny Fitzgerald's cousin.
- lmore Stream in the episodes "The Gi" and "The Secret".
- This is the second episode in which someone has been kissed. In this case, it's between Gumball and Darwin. The first time was in "The End", where Penny kisses Gumball on the cheek.
- This episode is the first to feature Masami in major role.
- The motto 'Pals Before Gals' is a more child friendly version of the saying 'Bros before Hoes.'
- When Penny and Gumball start to kisses but he missed her, one of Penny's antlers is cut off.
- Darwin shouldn't have came up for air when he was hiding in the pool because he's a fish. It could be possible that he accidentally uses his lungs instead.
- When Gumball went to talk to Rocky, the ice cream on the ground disappeared.