- To edit the transcript, click here.
Gumball Watterson's New Cell Phone
- [The episode starts with Gumball hitting several electronics out of his house with a golf club]
- Gumball: CAMERA! [A camera flies outside the house] ALARM CLOCK! [Scene cuts to living room with Gumball and Darwin.] [Hits alarm clock, and it also flies outside the house] LAPTOP!
- Darwin: Are you sure we won't need it anymore?[Throws laptop outside the house with the golf club]
- Gumball: Of course not.
- Purple Moose: What is all this--[The laptop hits his head.] AAH! [faints]
- Gumball: We have everything we need in this state-of-the-art little *grunt* package. [takes out a large brick-like phone]
- Darwin: I don't understand what all the fuss is about. We never needed a cell phone before.
- Gumball: What are you talking about? I don't know how we ever managed to live without it. OK, Where's the camera?
- Darwin: [reading the phone's manual] No camera.
- Gumball: Alarm clock?
- Darwin: No.
- Gumball: Please tell me we have the internet.
- Darwin: Dude, I think this manual was printed B.I. Before Internet.
- Gumball: [sighs] I know that one day I'll feel regret about the many things we have lost today. But right now, I don't care because... Who's got a phone?
- Darwin: [un-enthusiastically] We got a phone.
- Gumball: I SAID WHO'S GOT A PHONE?
- Darwin: [un-enthusiastically] We. We got a phone.
- Gumball: WHOOO! THAT'S RIGHT!
- [Gumball puts the phone in his pocket, but it is too heavy and it falls, bringing his pants down with it]
- [Gumball has the phone taped to his ear]
- Gumball: Hmm, [Gasps] I think I know why we haven't received any calls yet!
- Darwin: Is it because you look like a dork with your brick phone hands-free headset?
- Gumball: No, it's because no one's got our number.
- [Darwin rips off Gumball's headset while Gumball tries not to cry from the pain]
- Gumball: Ahh! [Inhales deeply]
- Darwin: Hey Ocho, here's our number. Zero, triple one, zero zero triple zero, one one zero one, triple one zero double one, zero double one, double one zero, triple one zero, triple zero! (01110000 01101111 01101111 01110000)
- Bobert: That spells "poop" in binary code.
- Gumball: [Whispering] What are you doing, not Ocho!
- Ocho: What? Why not me?
- Gumball: [Whispers] Hmm, cuz you're nuts...
- Ocho: What was that?
- Gumball: Nothing, it's just that, occasionally, you can get a little... intense.
- Ocho: Oh yeah? Is this intense? Is this intense? IS THIS INTENSE?!
- Gumball: No, no, no, no....no, that's a perfectly normal level of intensity!
- Ocho: That's a relief, I just want to make sure I don't scare anybody. Thanks for the number.
- Gumball: Dude, be more careful, we can't just go around giving our number to anyone. [Gets on the bus and displays his phone] Hey everybody, we got a cellphone! Who wants our number?
In School Hallway
- Gumball: Oh come on come on come on, ring already!
- Darwin: Dude, I think you're getting a little too hooked on this phone.
- Gumball: Shh! I don't wanna miss a call!
- [Phone seemingly rings and Gumball answers it]
- Gumball: Hello, Gumball speaking [Sighing] please be quick I'm a very busy man [The ringing sounds again] Hello?
- [Gumball looks at Rocky on a ladder drilling the wall]
- Gumball: Hey! Keep it down, man! I don't want to miss a call.
- Rocky: Okay [Drills slowly] .....Gonna take like three weeks to drill this hole now.
- Gumball: I DON'T CARE!
- [Gumball notices the phone "ringing" again]
- Gumball: [Gasps] Shh! Hello, Gumball speaking, please be quick I'm a ver- [Notices that the phone is not ringing, Darwin points at a room]
- [Gumball walks over to Teri, who is playing the xylophone. Gumball grabs her sticks and snaps them in half; Darwin opens his mouth, about to say something]
- Gumball: [Gumball interrupts Darwin] I'm not addicted! [Bell rings] Hello? [Gives phone to Darwin] Just take it. I don't wanna see it anymore.
- Darwin: [Phone rings for real] Hello! Oh hey, hows it going? what? [Gumball stares at Darwin with an angry look on his face] Uh.. hold on.. [To Gumball] Do you mind? This is for me! [Opens locker and continues to talk on the phone] Sorry what? Oh nobody important. No, I don't think you're nuts dude. [Walks away]
- Gumball: [Gumball pushes his face through the locker vents, and his face goes through, then falls on the ground] I never liked that stupid phone anyway.
[At the Watterson house, Gumball and Darwin are playing video games.]
- Gumball: This is the moment of truth my friend. Final level, one life left. It is time for the combo breaker.... Three, Two, One....
- Gumball and Darwin: C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-Combo breaker [phone rings]
- Darwin: I should probably get that.
- Gumball: Leave it, dude! Focus! If we lose here, we'll have to start the whole game again! [Gumball tears] And I can't go through that!
- Darwin: But... what if it's important?
- Gumball: [Yells at Darwin] THIS, THIS IS IMPORTANT!
- Darwin: Chill out, it'll just take a second.
- Gumball: [Darwin reaches for the phone] Darwin no, don't do it, man. DARWIN, PLEASE DON'T DO THIS TO ME!
- Darwin: Just a little second... [Darwin reaches for the phone]
- [Gumball starts hitting the controller with his tongue]
- Gumball: Darwin, I'm gonna burst my tongue.
- [Gumball hitting controller with his tongue]
- [Darwin jumps and takes the phone; Gumball loses the game]
- Darwin: [texting] How do you spell "LOL"?
- Gumball: J-E-R-K.
- [At school, Gumball tries to close his locker, but it is stuffed with books and doesn't close. Gumball keeps slamming the locker with his hand until Darwin approaches him.]
- Darwin: OMG, OMG, UF2HLP!
- Gumball: Dude, text lingo is for phones. We use real words when we talk with our mouths.
- Darwin: I lost my phone! I was texting in the library, and Mr. Small confiscated it. You have to get it back!
- Gumball: I'm sorry Darwin, but maybe it's for the best.
- [Darwin slides off Gumball]
- Darwin: omg, omg, omg, omg, omg...
- Gumball: Dude, what do you want me to do? I'm a coward. I'm not gonna break school rules.
- [Darwin squeals loudly]
- Gumball: Alright.
- Darwin: Colon, closed bracket!
- Gumball: What's that?
- Darwin: [Turns his face into a :) ]
- [Gumball scoffs]
- [Outside Mr. Small's office, where Darwin is looking through the window]
- Mister Small: [Meditating] Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...
- [Gumball reaches for Darwin's phone in a box of confiscated items]
- Darwin: Over there, up a bit, up a bit!
- [Gumball mocks Darwin by making a weird face]
- Gumball: I know where your phone is, you text maniac! Just chill out for a second.
- [Gumball again reaches for Darwin's phone, but he tips the box, which falls and spills all it's contents, including a firecracker; he also tips a jar of thumbtacks and a candle, which lights the firecracker.]
- Darwin: Gumball, look out, look out!
- Gumball: Will you be quiet?
- [Gumball continues groping for the phone until he grabs the firecracker, squeals, and throws it at the window; it bounces off and lands at his feet. Gumball tries to put it out, but it does not work so he simply covers his ears.]
- Darwin: Gumball, behind you! Behind you- *faints*
- [Gumball sits on the firecracker; it detonates and smoke comes out of his mouth. The phone buzzes, Darwin looks through the window again, and Mr. Small hums again. Gumball reaches for the phone, but Mr. Small falls asleep and slams his head into the desk, causing several candles to fall. One of the candles cause the curtain to catch on fire. Gumball tries to blow it out with a folder, but it catches fire as well. Gumball throws the folder away, but it spreads the fire to a cabinet.]
- Gumball: Oh man, what am I gonna do?
- [Gumball sees the fire extinguisher on the wall next to the door, and notices the phone vibrating on the ground nearby, surrounded by thumbtacks. Gumball steps through the tacks and grabs the phone, then makes his way to the extinguisher, but Darwin opens the door, slamming it on Gumball, then he swipes the phone.]
- Darwin: Thanks.
- [Darwin closes the door as he goes outside. Gumball, dazed from the hit, loses his balance and sits on the thumbtacks. Gumball squeals in pain, then Mr. Small starts to make noises; he is starting to wake. Outside, Darwin is texting by the door, which opens as a coughing Gumball comes through with the fire extinguisher. Gumball uses the extinguisher and fills Mr. Small's office with foam. Gumball drops the extinguisher, exhausted, then growls at Darwin.]
- Mister Small: [Wakes up and gasps] I've meditated too long! I've become one with the universe!
- [Darwin is in an envelope opening his mouth with another Darwin inside it; this scene repeats itself, then we see a sweaty Darwin texting in his bedroom, with Gumball sitting on the bed.]
- Darwin: [Texting and murmuring]
- Gumball: *sigh* Darwin, we need to talk.
- Darwin: Uhh yeah...
- Gumball: You know, I love you man.
- Darwin: Uh huh.
- Gumball: But... I think you have a problem with that phone!
- Darwin: Yeah.
- Gumball: So I've arranged for your butt to be surgically grafted onto your face.
- Darwin: Yeah, yeah sure great.
- Gumball: YOU'RE NOT EVEN LISTENING!
- Darwin: Why don't you text me?
- [Gumball swipes Darwin's phone, and Darwin flips out]
- Darwin: AHHH! GIVE IT BACK! GIMME IT! GIMME IT!
- Gumball: Look at what this thing has done to you! Your right fin has worn down to a stump from all that texting, [Darwin checks his fin, and it is indeed worn down] the left side of your head is burning from all that radiation, [Darwin places a fin on his head, and he is scorched] and worst of all, your tail has fallen off!
- Darwin: WHAT?! [Chases his "tail"] SERIOUSLY?! NOOOOOOOO!
- Gumball: No, I just said that for dramatic effect, BUT YOU GET THE POINT. This has to stop.
- [phone buzzes and Gumball picks it up]
- Gumball: I'm sorry, but Darwin isn't available right now, or ever again. Please, get a life, stop texting, and NEVER CALL AGAIN AFTER THE BEEP. BEEEEP! [Hangs up]
- Darwin: You're right, Ocho and I are phone-addicts.
- Gumball: [Gets nervous] Please don't tell me that was Ocho I just spoke to.
- Darwin: Who do you think was calling me all the time?
- [Gumball cries]
- Gumball: [Starts texting] Um, you- you must forgive me buddy, I'm so sorry about that, we should talk. [Sends message]
- Darwin: DUDE DON'T! YOU HAVE THE PREDICTIVE TEXT ON!
- Gumball: [Panics and shows Darwin the phone] What did I say?
- Darwin: Your mom gave me scurvy, I'm so ready for a fight. You're a dork.
- [Gumball cries again, the phone buzzes.]
- Darwin: [Reads message] He said "I'm coming." And he spelt that in capitals. Then he put arrow, colon, bracket.
- Gumball: What does that mean?
- Darwin: [Makes a >:( face]
- Gumball: [Grabs Darwin and races to the front door] We need to get out of here!
- [The doorbell rings, Gumball shushes Darwin and looks through the mail slot; he sees Ocho]
- Gumball: WAH! [Closes the mail slot; the phone buzzes again and Gumball picks it up.]
- Gumball: [Inhales sharply, and speaks in a strange high-pitched voice] Hollooo!
- Ocho: I know you're behind the door!
- Gumball:[Still in different voice] No. No door here, bye. [Hangs up.]
- Gumball: I think we're fine- [crash sound] AHH!
- [Ocho is attacking Gumball's house]
- Gumball: Dude! Please stop destroying our house!
- [Ocho hits the mailbox, and it disintegrates into small cubes which then disappear. Gumball and Darwin dive for cover behind their car]
- Gumball: I didn't mean that stuff about your mom! It was on predictive text!
- [Gumball dodges one of Ocho's projectiles]
- Gumball: Ahh! What are we gonna do?! He's completely out of control!
- Darwin: Let me reason with him! We have a relationship! I just need the phone! I'll have to send him a message!
- Gumball: No! Enough texting! This is what got us here in the first place! We have to go and speak with him directly!
- Darwin: Ocho, stop stop, please! Please! Truce! This is me. Your friend. Darwi- [Gets hit and blows up]
- Gumball: Darwin. *falls on knees* NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
- [Darwin appears in front of him, and what appears to be a life counter; Darwin has 2 lives left]
- Gumball: Nevermind.
- Darwin: Dude, we've got 3 lives!
- Gumball: Then let's give him a taste of his own medicine.
- [Gumball and Darwin grab trash can lids.]
- Gumball: HEY! PUNK! Game over.
- [Gumball and Darwin use the trash can lids to deflect Ocho's projectiles; eventually they get one to hit Ocho.]
- Gumball: WE GOT HIM!
- Darwin: Really?
- [Darwin lowers his trash lid, and accidentally reflects a projectile at Gumball, who then disintegrates. Gumball comes back to life, and has 2 lives left.]
- Gumball: Nice shooting, noob.
- Darwin:It's the trash lid that's defective.
- Gumball: Typical "blame the controller."
- [Gumball and Darwin are blasted and subsequently disintegrate. They return to life, with only 1 life left.]
- Darwin: Does that mean this is our last life?
- [Gumball nods]
- Gumball and Darwin: RUUUUUN!
- [Both dive for cover behind a fence.]
- Darwin: Gumball, we need to call the police!
- Gumball: We can't!
- Darwin: Why?
- Gumball: I lost the phone!
- Darwin: What!? Where? Let me get it!
- [Darwin tries to run for the phone, but Gumball drags him back and restrains him on the ground.]
- Gumball: What are you doing!? This is our last life, and you're gonna waste it on some stupid phone!?
- Darwin: You asked for this! [Licks Gumball's foot]
- Gumballl: Augh! Gross! [Breaks his hold, so Darwin breaks free and runs for the phone] DARWIN!
- [Ocho hits the cell phone]
- Gumball: Well, it still looks like a brick to me.
- [The cell phone disintegrates into small cubes.]
- Darwin: [in a deep voice] MY CELL PHONE!
- [Darwin grabs Gumball and runs toward the trash lids. He gives one to Gumball and takes the other for himself.]
- Darwin: Final level! One life left!
- Gumball: It is time... for the combo breaker.
- [Ocho blasts a projectile; Gumball and Darwin reflect it back and forth between each other using their trash lids.]
- Gumball and Darwin: C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C! COMBO BREAKER!
- [The projectile picks up extreme speed, then Darwin shoots it at Ocho, but he dodges it.]
- Ocho's Mom: Ow! Ocho, what are you doing? You're not fighting again, I hope.
- Ocho: Oh gosh, did I get a little too intense again?
- Gumball: Psh! Nah. Totally normal level of intensity.
- Ocho: Are you sure?
- Gumball: Yeah.
- Ocho: Are you sure?
- Gumball: Hoo! Yes. Yeah yeah yeah yeah.
- Ocho: ARE YOU SURE?
- Gumball: Ye-e-s! Please go home now!
- Ocho's Mom: Oh, that's good. He can get a little carried away at times. Come on, Ocho! Dinner's ready.
- Ocho: See you tomorrow guys!
- [Ocho moves toward his mother, and a tractor beam carries him up into his mother.]
- Ocho: Can I sit in the front, Mom?
- [Ocho's Mom leaves; Gumball and Darwin look at their destroyed house.]
- [Up on the roof, Gumball and Darwin are replacing the bricks.]
- Darwin: You know, I'm glad I had the strength of character to give up that cell phone. It takes a lot of willpower to overcome your own weaknesses. I hope you find that strength too one day.
- [Gumball makes a buzzing noise similar to a phone, Darwin reacts to this and slams himself in the ear with a brick and faints. Episode ends.]
| Broadcast number:
| Production code:
| U.S. air date:
|| September 18, 2012
| Written by:
|| Ben Bocquelet|
| Storyboarded by:
|| Sebastian Hary
"The Phone" is the seventh episode of Season 2 of The Amazing World of Gumball.
Darwin becomes addicted to Gumball's new cell phone.
Gumball is destroying several household items with a golf club, assuming that everything he needs is in his new cell phone. He immediately develops an attachment towards his new phone, but Darwin doesn't see much point into it. The phone is an old fashioned brick model with none of the destroyed items' features, but Gumball doesn't seem to care.
At the bus stop, Darwin shares the phone number with Ocho, the 8-bit spider known for his outbursts of anger. With this in mind, Gumball warns Darwin about freely sharing the number with anyone.
Gumball's fixation over the phone vanishes after receiving no calls. He gives the phone to Darwin, who instantly gets a call from Ocho.
After school, Gumball and Darwin are at their house, reaching the final boss of a Space Invaders-styled video game. They attempt a combo breaker to beat the game, but lose when Darwin's concentration breaks and answers a call on the phone.
The following morning, Darwin's phone is confiscated by Mr. Small in the library. After much beseeching, Gumball reluctantly sneaks into Mr. Small's office to retrieve the phone, accidentally knocking off a candle from the desk, and igniting the curtains. He retrieves the phone, and is slightly charred.
Darwin's obsession comes to a head, when Gumball confronts him about it at home. He offends the caller on the other line and, to his dismay, is told by Darwin that he spoke to Ocho. Gumball offends the spider even further through the phone's predictive text function. The two try to run away, but Ocho has already arrived outside the house.
As Gumball and Darwin hurry outside, Ocho bombards them in a Space Invaders fashion, pixelating everything in sight before they disintegrate. One of his shots lands on Darwin, apparently killing him. Gumball laments his loss, only to find that Darwin has come back with two more lives left. Taking a trash can lid each, they combat Ocho's tantrum by deflecting his bombs back at him. One shot hits, but the duo's initial respite is cut short when Darwin drops his guard, and accidentally directs a shot towards Gumball. He re-spawns again, and the two argue, allowing Ocho to land another shot on them. With one life remaining, they take cover, and Gumball drops the phone midway. Darwin runs over to retrieve it, but it is destroyed by Ocho's shot, enraging him. The two attempt a combo breaker on Ocho, but miss their mark, and instead hit his mother, who calms Ocho down and takes him home.
Gumball and Darwin are then seen repairing the damages caused to the house by Ocho. Darwin has not overcome his addiction, however, evidenced when he accidentally knocks himself out by answering a brick after Gumball imitates a vibrating phone.
- This is the first time Ocho speaks.
- "01110000011011110110111101110000" does indeed spell "poop" in binary code.
- On the Cartoon Network Anything app, there is a game based on this episode.
- This was the second major appearance of Ocho; the first was in "The Club."
- This was the sixth time that no other Watterson family members apart from Gumball and Darwin appear. The first was in "The Pressure," the second was in "The Picnic," the third was in "The Colossus," the fourth was in "The Flower," and the fifth was in "The Banana."
- The game that Gumball and Darwin play is a reference to Space Invaders, the classic 8-bit arcade game. This coordinates with the climax, due to Ocho appearing similar to an alien from the game, also because Ocho mimics the same actions of that of a Space Invaders alien.
- Gumball and Darwin's phone seems to resemble early cell phone models, particularly Motorola's DynaTAC series, which were often nicknamed "brick phones," due to their size and weight.
- Gumball and Darwin's "Combo Breaker" is a reference to the 1994 arcade, Super Nintendo, and Game Boy fighting game, Killer Instinct.
- Darwin's phone's key clacking sounds similar to that of Apple's iOS products.
- When Darwin is talking to Ocho, Darwin's mouth disappears for a split second.
- When Gumball grabs the xylophone sticks from Teri, Gumball grabs them without touching them and when he's holding them, their tips change color.