To edit the transcript, click here
Gumball needs more attention
- [Scene starts at the Wattersons' living room; Richard is flipping TV channels with the remote]
- Richard: [Scoffs] When's someone gonna invent a TV that flips its own channels?
- [Nicole comes home tired and collapses on the sofa]
- Richard: Hey honey, how was work? Is dinner ready yet?
- [Gumball enters the house]
- Gumball: Hey, mom, dad, guess what? I got a B plus in home-ec today! Miss Simian said my soufflé was divine. [Blocks the TV screen]
- Richard: Yeah, that's very interesting.
- Gumball: [Throws soufflé] I also learned how to do a cartwheel. You guys wanna see? [Attempts a cartwheel]
- Richard: Yeah, yeah. I'm very proud of you son. [Frantically tries to watch with Gumball in the way]
- Gumball: [Realizes Richard isn't listening] I also crashed your car on the run from the police after I robbed a bank.
- Richard: Uh huh, good for you.
- [Gumball whistles as he walks, falls over and pretends to injure his leg]
- Gumball: Ah! My leg! It's broken! I probably need to get it cut off! Ahaaa! And yet nobody cares. What do I have to do to get noticed in this house!? [Runs upstairs as Nicole wakes up alarmed and confused]
- Nicole: What? Richard I think Gumball needs some attention. Maybe you should go and play catch-
- Richard: Yeah, yeah. We're all very proud of you Nicole.
- Nicole: [sighs]
- [Nicole sighs and walks up the stairs; scene changes to Gumball's bedroom, Nicole appears behind the door, enters the room and sits next to the upset Gumball who proceeds to move away until he falls off the bed]
- Gumball: [Upset] What?
- Nicole: Listen honey, I'm sorry you've not been getting enough attention lately. I'm going to make it up to you starting tomorrow.
- Gumball: [Scoffs] Why not now!? [Sees Nicole asleep and snoring by his bed; he sighs]
Gumball's Difficult Relationships
- [The next day at school, the bell rings as Gumball approaches Penny with Darwin behind him]
- Gumball: So, um, Penny, want to hang out after school? I'll show you my cartwheel.
- Darwin: I've seen it... it's not as good as it sounds.
- Penny: Sorry, Gumball. It's the cheerleader tryouts tonight, I've been practicing all year for this. Another time though. [Walks away]
- Gumball: [Giggling] OK, no problem. I love you Penny.
- Penny: [Shocked] What!?
- Gumball: Wha, oh nothing. It's just that I love peanuts. [Laughing, then turns to a whisper] They, um, they taste so good.
- Penny: Gumball, I am a peanut. That's like me saying I like to eat cats. Maybe you should think twice about the things you say.
- Gumball: But I did think twice.
- Penny: Well maybe you need think three times. Anyway, see you later.
- Gumball: [Yelling] Wait, I didn't say peanuts, I said ponies! I love ponies! They taste like nuts! [Calms down] Aw, whatever.
- Darwin: Maybe you need to talk with your mouth shut.
- [The locker suddenly opens, revealing Nicole scrunched inside]
- Nicole: Is that really the way you talk to girls?
- Gumball: [Screams with Darwin] Mom, what are you doing here?
- Nicole: [Gets out of the locker and dusts herself] Well you said you wanted more attention so I followed you to school. But by the looks of it you need more than attention; you need serious help, little man.
Nicole's Time at Elmore Junior High
- [Nicole, Gumball and Darwin are walking along the hall, Darwin has a huge grin on his face]
- Gumball: [Embarrassed] Aw mom, if you are seriously going to follow us around all day, do you really need to hold my hand?
- Nicole: Yes.
- Darwin: Yay! Mom's at school!
- Nicole: And it's not all day, it's all week. I took the night shift.
- [Gumball groans; Tina, Jamie, Banana Joe and Anton are laughing at Gumball]
- Tina: Hey, Mom, do you need a diaper for that baby?
- [They continue to laugh]
- Gumball: [High pitched] Ooh, actually I'm fully potty trained, so check your facts all right?
- [Tina laughs]
- Tina: You know you got them good when their voices go high.
- Nicole: [Angrily] Gumball! Are you really going to take that?
- Darwin: She just owned you.
- Gumball: [In high pitch] What? You got a better idea?
- Nicole: Well, first of all, drop an octave, then give her a taste of her own medicine. Try this. [Whispers to Gumball]
- Gumball: [Steps forward] Uh, Tina? I just like to say that maybe you only bully people because you're insecure about your walnut-size brain and the fact that you smell like a sweaty butcher.
- Tina: [In high pitch] Oh, I'll have you know that smell is a glandular problem! [Walks away in embarrassment]
- Banana Joe: [Laughs] Glandular.
- [The kids laugh]
- Gumball: Wow, it actually worked!
- Jamie: Yeah, that was funny! But good luck when Tina comes back and your mom's not around to hold your hand.
- Nicole: Don't worry, Gummypuss! I'll hold your hand until college, if I have to!
- Banana Joe: [laughs] Gummypuss!
- Gumball: Aw Mom, stop embarrassing me! [Runs away and runs into Principal Brown, who was drinking coffee]
- Principal Brown: [His face is splashed by hot coffee] Ah, it burns! [Grabs a can of paint and splashes it on his face] My eyes! What was that?!
- Gumball: Uh, I don't know!? Paint?
- Principal Brown: [Grabs chlorine and does the same; the hair on his face falls out] AH! My hair! What was that?!
- Gumball: Uh, uh chlorine from the pool?
- Principal Brown: [Grabs Fertilizer and does the same; his hair grows back] DAAH! What was that?!
- Gumball: Uh, Fertilizer?
- Principal Brown: Ah, uh. [Regains composure.] I guess it's alright then. But that's still 2 hours of detention, for potentially damaging my beautiful face!
- Nicole: Really... Principal Brown. You need to be firmer than that!
- Gumball: Huh?
- Principal Brown: Oh okay. 4 hours detention!
- [Nicole signals Principal Brown to increase the detention time]
- Principal Brown: 8 hours?
- [Nicole approves with a thumbs up and a wink]
- Principal Brown: Oh, good! See you in detention, Watterson.
- Gumball: [Upset] Mom, you're not helping.
- [Scene changes to the classroom where the Eggheads write a note, which is passed on by students; it eventually reaches Nicole]
- Nicole: [Laughing] The nerds think you look like a dodeca-dork with your mother at school.
- Darwin: [Laughing] What does that mean?
- Nicole: It's a twelve-sided dork honey.
- [Darwin laughs awkwardly]
- Gumball: Mom, you're not helping.
- [Scene changes to the boy's locker room where everyone stands in line, watching Nicole bathe Gumball]
- Gumball: Mom! You're not helping!!
- [Scene changes to the cafeteria where everyone watches Nicole as she feeds Gumball]
- Nicole: Who-Whooo! [Makes train noise] Come on honey open the tunnel for the choo-choo train. Whoo-Whoooo-
- Gumball: MOM your not helpi- [Nicole shovels the food in his mouth; Gumball pushes her away.] Enough!!! The Tina thing was kind of helpful, but this has gone too far. [Air goes up Gumball's esophagus] Wait a minute, I've- [Nicole pats Gumball on the back and he burps] Thanks, but seriously, I need you to stop meddling with my life!
- Nicole: I'm not meddling, I'm helping.
- Gumball: Helping by meddling! You're just a big meddler.
- Nicole: I'm not a meddler, I'm your mother.
- Darwin: And a meddler.
- [Penny can be heard laughing offscreen]
- Nicole: Hey, isn't that girl you like?
- Gumball: MOM NOO!!!!
- Nicole: [Walks over to Penny] Excuse me Penny, do you have a second?
- Penny: Sure, but you guys have to be quick. The cheerleader tryouts are about to start.
- Gumball: Mom... if you love me, please don't do this.
- Nicole: Oh come on Gummypuss, don't be shy. My baby has something to say to you.
- Gumball: [Laughs nervously] No I don't.
- Nicole: He'd like to take you out on a date.
- Gumball: That's not true.
- Nicole: [Whispers] He loves you.
- Penny: [Ecstatic] Really?
- Gumball: NO I DON'T. I DON'T LOVE PENNY AND I NEVER WILL!!!!!
- [Penny drops her food tray in shock.]
- Nicole: Gumball!
- Penny: [Cries] Well thanks for being honest with me. [Walks away]
- Gumball:No, wait! I meant I'll never love peanut- NO! PONIES! UH- [Crying] See what you did? You upset Penny! How am I suppose to get her back?!
- Nicole: Well, you know I could help you with that.
- Gumball: No, that's enough! Okay? That's enough! I'm my own man now! I make my own decisions, and I don't you babying me anymor- [Air goes up Gumball's esophagus again] anymor- [Nicole pats Gumball's back again and he burps] Thanks. Now just go home okay?
- Nicole: Oh come on, we all had a great time! Didn't we Darwin?
- Darwin: [Still grinning] To be honest, I've never been so embarrassed in my entire life!
- Nicole: Why are you smiling then?
- Darwin: Well at first I was trying not to hurt your feelings, but now I'm just stuck!
- Gumball: I beg of you, just get out of my life.
- Nicole: [Sad] Okay, I guess I'll just go home now.
- [Scene changes to the outside of the school where Nicole sadly walks to her car. Suddenly her phone starts ringing and she picked up]
- Gumball: MOM! YOU'VE GOT TO COME BACK! I MADE MY OWN DECISION, AND IT'S A BAD ONE! A REALLY, REALLY, BAD ONE!
- [Nicole starts running back into the school]
- [Scene changes to the school hall where Darwin is massaging his face]
- Darwin: Oh, thank goodness she's gone! I'll never smile again!
- Nicole: Darwin!
- [Darwin saw her and he starts grinning again]
- Darwin: Mom, you're back! Yay.
- Nicole: Do you know where your brother is?
- Darwin: [Points at the direction behind him] In the changing room!
- Nicole: Thanks! [Starts running to the changing room]
- [Darwin continues to grin in pain and tears started coming out of his eyes]
- [Scene changes to outside the changing room where Nicole bangs at the door]
- Nicole: Gumball? It's me. Open the door.
- Gumball: [Screaming] NO! NO I WON'T!
- Nicole: What happened?
- Gumball: I thought for a... I made a decision in my life and I didn't know that it was bad! [Crying]
- Nicole: Listen, whatever it is you've done, you need to come out and face it.
- Gumball: Alright.. [Sobbing] Alright.. I'm coming out.
- [Door opened and shows Gumball sadly walking out of the changing room in a cheerleader dress and carrying pom-poms]
- Nicole: Oh, you were gonna try and get closer to Penny by trying to enter her cheering team, but now you're feeling embarrassed because you have to wear a skirt.
- Gumball: What? No! I'm gonna beat Penny at her own game so she'll realize how awesome and manly I am! And then she'll definitely wanna date me!
- Nicole: Right. So, what's the problem?
- Gumball: The problem is me! What if I'm not good as the other girls? What if they laugh at me? And this leotard makes me look fat, so I put this skirt on to hide my butt. [Lift up his skirt to show his butt]
- Nicole: What exactly do you want me to do, honey?
- Gumball: Err, hello? Be there of course? I need emotional support? You're my mom? Start acting like it?
- Nicole: [Takes a deep breath] Okay lets go.
- [Scene changes to the school gym where the cheerleader audition is held. Penny is performing in front of Mr. Small and Principal Brown, who are the judges. They monitored her performs. Penny then balanced herself to end her performance, then shows a sad face after the judges disapproved her performance]
- Principal Brown: [Make dental click sounds] Now, Penny, I have to say, I'm a little disappointed.
- Penny: I know, it's just I had some emotional problems this afternoon and-
- Mister Small: [Shouting] YOU LEAVE YOUR EMOTIONS AT THE DOOR! THIS IS CHEER LEADING, NOT DRAMA CLUB! YOU BETTER SHAPE UP OR SHAPE OUT! 'CUZ THIS IS THE BIG LEAGUE, SISTER! AND RIGHT NOW YOU'RE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE BARREL! [Calms down] Is there anything you like to add, Principal Brown?
- Principal Brown: Only that we're making cuts today, and after that performance, someone's gonna have to be pretty bad enough for it to be you.
- [Gumball slams open the gym door]
- Gumball: Am I too late?
- [The girls at the chairs start staring at him while Gumball fiercely walk towards the judges. Gumball then points to Nicole using his pom-poms and Nicole plays the music on Juke. Gumball then begins to perform. He then accidentally kicks his shoe onto Carmen. Nicole then facepalmed herself. Gumball continues to perform while his skirt starts to fall off. He then picks it up. He then starts to do The Cartwheel, but fails. He then poses again. Mr. Small then shows a drawing of a big question mark to Principal Brown. Principal Brown then shows a gesture that he's not sure what's going on. Gumball then starts jumping around, but eventually sprains his ankle]
- Gumball: [In slow motion] Ow!
- [Gumball then looked around and then looked at Nicole, mentally asking for support.]
- Gumball: [Whisper] Mom!
- Nicole: [Thumbs up]
- [Gumball then starts having confidence and the music gets louder. Gumball performs again. This time, he made a successful Cartwheel. However, the judges and the girls are disgusted as his skirt starts to show off his butt. Nicole starts to get shocked. Gumball then ends his performance with an split. The judges then stared at him]
- Principal Brown: Well, it's a no for me, Mr. Small
- Mister Small: It's a no for me too.
- Principal Brown: That's 2 nos, Gumball. You're going home.
- Gumball: [Stares at the judges for a second] [Crying] NOOOO!! MOM! MAKE THEM RECOUNT THE SCORES! MAKE THEM RECOUNT THE SCORES!
- [Gumball then reaches out to Nicole and Nicole carries him up]
- Nicole: Well, [Starts putting Gumball's legs around her] 0 plus 0 equals 0, honey!
- Gumball: [Crying] Why is the world. SO. CRUEL?!
- Nicole: Don't worry, you'll do better next time! After couple of years of intensive training.
- [Penny then jumps towards Gumball]
- Penny: Oh Gumball, thank you! It was so brave of you to sacrifice your dignity so I can get on the team! I guess that means- [Starts twisting her feet] -you do like me. Just a little?
- Gumball: [Crying again and starts speaking gibberish]
- Nicole: I think that means yes.
- [Penny then start smiling and Nicole carries Gumball out of the gym]
- Gumball: Mom, you know how I said I want.. to be my own man.. and make my own decisions?
- Nicole: Yes?
- [Scene changes to the school hall where Darwin massages his face again. When Nicole and Gumball showed up once more, he started grinning again]
- Gumball: Can I just wait a few years?
- Nicole: The longer the better, honey! Even when you're 80, you'll still be my Gummypuss!
- [Camera then zooms to Darwin's grinning face. After awhile, his head explodes]
- [Episode ends]
The Meddler is the thirty-fourth episode of season one of The Amazing World of Gumball.
Nicole meddles in Gumball's school life and ends up ruining it in the process.
The episode opens with Nicole
coming home from a hard day's work and falling asleep on the couch next to her husband
, who is busy watching television. Gumball
comes home shortly after and tries to share stories about his day at school to his parents, but neither of them pay attention. Feeling neglected, Gumball storms off to his room and accidentally wakes up his mother in the process. Nicole apologizes to Gumball for not paying him much attention, and promises that she will spend more time with him the next day.
At school the next morning, Gumball runs into Penny in the hallway. He asks her if she would like to come and see his new cartwheel trick after school, but she explains that she wants to attend cheerleader try-outs instead. After Gumball embarrasses himself in front of her, he opens his locker and finds his mother cramped inside.
Nicole explains to her sons that she followed them to school to give them more attention all week, a plan which they find humiliating. They soon encounter Tina Rex and her gang of bullies in the hallway, who make fun of Gumball and call him a baby. Disapproving of this, Nicole tells her son to respond to Tina's teasing by claiming that she only bullies people because of her own insecurities and shortcomings. This turns out to be correct as Tina runs away in embarrassment soon after.
Jamie admits that standing up to Tina was pretty cool, but reminds him that his mother will not always be there to protect him. In response to this, Nicole takes Gumball by the hand and reassures him that she will be there for him until for as long as she needs to, which her son does not approve of in the least and runs away from her, accidentally running into Principal Brown in the process.
Principal Brown ends up having his hair shed and subsequently grown back due to the collision, and gives Gumball eight hours of detention with Nicole's "help". Over the course of the day, Nicole continues to embarrass her son, going so far to "help" as to bathe him in the shower room and burp like an infant during lunch.
During lunch, Nicole spots Penny and tries to help Gumball flirt with her by saying that he loves her and wants to take her out on a date. In a fit of panic, he slips up and accidentally says that he hates Penny and has never liked her, breaking her heart and making her cry, and Nicole gives Gumball one last tip and pushes him over the edge. Enraged, Gumball tells his mother to go home and that enough is enough—her constant meddling doing more harm than good.
On the way to her car, Nicole gets an urgent phone call from Gumball, who explains that he made a bad decision, and rushes back in the building to help him. Although initially he denies his mother knowledge of what he did, he eventually shows her his plan to try out for the cheerleading squad to try and win back Penny by beating her at her own game. Though hesitant at first, Gumball then explains to Nicole that he needs her emotional support, so they go to the try-outs.
At the try-outs, Penny performs in front of the judges—Principal Brown and Mr. Small --, but they are both unimpressed by her performance. She explains to them that she has been having emotional troubles lately, but they stand by their decision and explains that someone would have to be pretty terrible in order for her to make the team. Abruptly, Gumball bursts through the door and after an admittedly awful performance which scores a 'zero' by both judges, Penny is given a spot on the cheerleading team.
Failing his plan at winning over Penny, Gumball is held in his mothers arms while he cries about life being unfair. However, Penny is ecstatic and excitedly thanks Gumball for giving her a chance to be on the team. She assumes that this must mean that he truly does like her and he tearfully agrees.
Gumball is then carried by Nicole to the hall, where Darwin is massaging his cheeks. He starts smiling as soon as Nicole shows up. Then Gumball and Nicole walk away with Nicole telling Gumball that he will be her "Gummypuss" even when he's 80. After they both leave, Darwin's face explodes due to all the smiling he did over the course of the day.
- Nicole: "Right. ...So what's the problem?"
Gumball: "The problem is me! What if I'm not as good as the other girls, what if they laugh at me!? ...And this leotard makes me look fat so I put this skirt on to hide my butt.
Nicole: "What exactly do you want me to do, honey?"
Gumball: "Uh, hello? Be there of course! I need emotional support, you're my mom, start acting like it."
- Penny: "I know, it's just... I had some emotional problems this afternoon an-"
Mister Small: "YOU LEAVE YOUR EMOTIONS AT THE DOOR! THIS IS CHEERLEADING, NOT DRAMA CLUB! YOU BETTER SHAPE UP OR SHIP OUT BECAUSE THIS IS THE BIG LEAGUES SISTER, AND RIGHT NOW YOU'RE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE BARREL! ...Is there anything you'd like to add, Principal Brown?"
Principal Brown: "Only that we're making cuts today and someone's going to have to be pretty bad for it not to be you."
- Anais was the only Watterson who did not appear in this episode.
- This episode premiered in France before it aired in the United States.
- This is the fourth episode to air in the UK before the US. The others were "The Mystery", "The Responsible" and "The Microwave".
- Bobert and Idaho were the only student who did not appear in this episode.
- It is revealed Penny is an (antlered) peanut.
- Whenever Gumball's skirt would fall off or be lifted, he was wearing what appeared to be a red thong.
- Darwin's feet were censored in the showers, playing off how they're the only articles of clothing he wears, despite them being plainly shown in some previous episodes. This is later stated by him in "The Dream".
- This was the second episode in which Darwin's head explodes. The first one was "The Sock".
- This is the fifth episode where we see Gumball completely nude, the other four are "The Picnic", "The Dress", "The Club", and "The Curse".
- In the background its revealed that Elmore Junior High's mascot is a duck, which contradicts earlier episodes that stated the mascot is a mustang.
- Darwin wears a forced smile on his face with Nicole around. Squidward also wore a forced smile on his face in the SpongeBob SquarePants episode, "Selling Out."
- Gumball lost his whiskers at one side when he screamed to his parents.
- When Gumball attempts a Cart Wheel for the first time, his tail and butt are visible on his pants, instead of his white button. The next scene also shows this.
- When Gumball runs upstairs, a door is heard slamming, but when Nicole follows him, it is completely ajar.
- After Gumball falls on his back, he gets back up but the only shoe on his foot had swapped places. After Small and Brown exchange confusion, the mistake seems to have corrected itself.