- To edit the transcript, click here.
What's Our Dad Good At...?
- [Elmore Junior High playground. The students are gathered, eating their lunch.]
- Darwin: [Sees Masami colored brown] What happened to you? You look like a Florida grandma.
- Masami: This, my ignorant friend, is a suntan. My dad just took me skiing. You've probably never heard of it. It's what rich people do.
- Banana Joe: My dad is rich -- in vitamin B6 and potassium. He's also a good source of fiber.
- Teri: Well, my dad can beat rock.
- Hector: Well, that's nothin'. My dad's so big that three mountain climbers got lost in his belly button.
- [Richard pulls up in his car and comes out with a paper bag. He listens closely to the conversation.]
- Masami: What's your dad good at?
- Gumball: Hm... what's our dad good at? He's good at being nice.
- Masami: No. More like a skill.
- Darwin: Is sweating without moving a skill?
- [The kids laugh.]
- Gumball: How about...putting on weight? He's awesome at that.
- [The kids laugh again.]
- Darwin: He must be good at something.
- Gumball: I guess he's only good at being embarrassing.
- [They laugh.]
Yeah, uh...like that time at the mall.
- [Flashback. Elmore Mall. Several citizens are dancing to hip-hop music. Richard storms into the scene and starts dancing.]
- Richard: Ohh! Oh-oh-uh-ohh-ohh! Ohh! Oh-oh! Uh-ohh-ohh!
- [Bystanders, including Gumball and Darwin, look on with chagrin.]
- Billy: Mother, I feel so sorry for this man's children.
- Felicity: Oh, don't worry, honey. It's very unlikely anyone like that would have children.
- [End of flashback. Gumball and Darwin laugh.]
- Darwin: Yeah, or the time he came to school to talk about his job.
- [Flashback to Ms. Simian's classroom. Richard is dancing the same way as he was at the mall.]
- Richard: Ohh! Oh-oh! Uh-ohh-ohh!
- [End of flashback.]
- Gumball: And you'd expect someone who eats that much would be way better at cooking.
- Darwin: [Opens his mouth] Yeah, I chipped a tooth on one of his cupcakes.
- Gumball: Hah! What's he doing, using cement instead of flour?
- [They laugh. Richard appears very hurt.Two cupcakes fall out of the paper bag, crashing into the asphalt with a thud. He retreats into his car, crying.]
- [The Wattersons' house, dining room. Gumball and Darwin take their seats. Anais is on the opposite side of the table with a plate of cupcakes.]
- Gumball: Hey, Mom. What's for dinner?
- [Nicole throws an unopened package of raw chicken thighs onto the table in front of him.]
- Nicole: Chicken and fries.
- Gumball: Hm... does this look a little underdone to you?
- Darwin: [Picks up an unwashed potato with his fork] I think there's something wrong with my fries.
- Gumball: Can we just skip to dessert?
- [A cupcake is tossed at Gumball and Darwin.]
- Gumball and Darwin: Aah! [They dodge. A plate is smashed by the cupcake.]
- Gumball: What is wrong with you?!
- Anais: You know very well what's wrong!
- [She tosses another cupcake at them, and they dodge again.]
- Gumball: What's going on?! Why is dinner raw?
- Nicole: You know very well why dinner is raw!
- Gumball: I'm just gonna try something. [inhales deeply] We're both very sorry for what we've done.
- Nicole: So you do know what you've done!
- Gumball and Darwin: No!
- Nicole: Then how can you apologize for something you don't even know about?!
- Gumball: I don't know!
- Anais: Look, Dad overheard what you said in the playground.
- Gumball: Ohhh! That!
- Nicole: And he's been hiding in the shed ever since.
- Gumball: [Quietly] Well, at least he can't embarrass us in there.
- Darwin: Incoming!
- [Another cupcake flies at them, and once again they dodge.]
- Gumball: Look, I'd happily apologize to Dad... if what we said wasn't the truth!
- Nicole: Right. That's it. You clearly don't appreciate your parents, so until you apologize to your father, we won't be doing anything else for you. Let's see how long you last.
- Gumball: Challenge accepted.
- [He grabs the the raw potato and eats half of it. Nicole and Anais are surprised.]
- Nicole: [puts her hand out] I paid for that potato.
- Gumball: [spits out bits of potato onto Nicole's hand] I wasn't hungry anyway.
- [The next morning. Gumball and Darwin are standing in front of the closed bathroom door. Gumball is wearing nothing but briefs, and has a towel on his arm. Likewise, Darwin is wearing a towel. Gumball is pounding on the door.]
- Gumball: Anais! Come on! You've been in there forever!
- [Anais peeks from behind the door.]
- Anais: Oh, I'm sorry. But as Mom pays the water bill and you two are insensitive brats, I think you'll need to shower somewhere else. [She closes the door.]
- Gumball: [mockingly] As Mom pays the water bill, I think you should shower somewhere else.
- Anais: [from behind the door] You can say what you like, but you're not going to annoy me!
- Gumball: [mockingly] You can say what you like, but you're not going-- [A soap bar flies from behind the door, hitting Gumball squarely in the face. His nose swells up.] Ugh! My...nose!
- Anais: [mockingly] Ow! My toast!
- Gumball: [growls, then chuckles] Who's the loser now? We got soap. All we need is water.
- [Outside the Watterson house. The boys are on the street, in front of a puddle. They are lathering up with soap.]
- Darwin: Dude, I think I'm starting to regret this challenge.
- Gumball: It's coming! [A truck passes by, splashing mud onto the boys.] Ugh. I think I should've closed my mou-- [Another vehicle passes by, and the boys are splashed again.]
- [The dining room. Gumball and Darwin rush to the table with bags full of groceries.]
- Gumball: I can't believe we got all this stuff for a dollar! Thank you, clearance aisle.
- [They dump the groceries onto the table.]
- Darwin: Well, you heard what Larry said. We got to eat this stuff before it goes past its expiration date.
- Gumball: Oh, young Darwin, you're so gullible. Food doesn't have a sell-by date. That's what the corporations want you to think so you buy more oil and believe in moon landings, like the sheep you are. Take this banana. According to your "sell-by date," it should go bad today, but as you can see, it's absolutely fine. [peels the banana and takes a bite of it. The banana immediately withers. He spits it out.] Dude, we need to eat this food real quick.
- Gumball and Darwin: Aaaah!
- [Darwin runs to the kitchen with an egg carton. He cracks one egg onto the pan. A live chick flies out of it. Darwin screams and drops the carton, cracking the rest of the eggs, and more chicks appear.]
- Darwin: Aah!
- [Gumball dumps a bag of sunflower seeds onto his palm. The sunflowers grow from the seeds, then wilt.]
- [Darwin returns to the dining room. He opens a package of meat. It quickly rots. Maggots suddenly appear and rapidly eat all of the meat. Swarms of flies emerge and eat most of the spoiled groceries in seconds.]
- Gumball and Darwin: Aaah!
- [Only a unlabeled tin can is left standing on the table.]
- Gumball: Well, this is all we have left. Things don't go off in cans, right?
- Darwin: What do you think is in it?
- Gumball: Please...let it be peaches in syrup.
- Darwin: I hope it's hot dogs.
- Gumball: As long as it's edible, I don't care. [He opens the can, and an apparently dead rat falls onto the plate.] Aw, poor little thing.
- [The rat comes to life and hisses at the boys.]
- Gumball and Darwin: Aaah!
- Gumball: Get it!
- [The rat flees before Darwin bashes the plate to pieces with a frying pan.]
- Darwin: Aah! Aah! Aah! Aah! Aah! ::[He cries.]
Ready to Apologize
- [Gumball and Darwin are on the school bus. They're filthy, starving, and surrounded by flies.]
- Darwin: So, you ready to apologize now?
- Gumball: Nope.
- Rocky: [holding his nose] Uh, boys? I'm gonna have to ask you to get off the bus.
- Gumball: Why?
Rocky: 'Cause the suspension can't take it anymore.
- [The rest of the students are at the rear of the bus, away from Gumball and Darwin. The bus itself is tipping over. The boys are dropped off onto the street.]
- Gumball: Okay, I guess I'm ready now. Ugh! I can't believe we're apologizing.
- Darwin: I don't care. I'm not eating canned rats again.
My Little Ones
- [The Watterson's backyard. Gumball and Darwin approach the shed, and peer inside. Richard is seated, hammering nails into a board on his lap. He sighs and gets up, wobbling slowly.]
- Gumball: I'm sorry, I know I said I would... [laughs] I can't do this. [continues laughing as he walks away.]
- [Darwin peers into the shed again. Richard picks up a framed photo. It's his younger self holding baby Gumball. He begins singing as the camera pans over a collage of photos containing younger Gumball, Darwin, and Richard in happier times, as well as drawings from the boys to Richard.]
- Richard: I remember when you were still little, my little ones.
- I was the giant who picked you up when you fell down.
- And life was just one funny riddle, my little ones.
- We laughed every day as the world went around.
- I was the hero who taught you how to talk.
- I was the hero who taught you how to walk.
- And now you're no longer so little, my little ones.
- You see so much more than I ever will see.
- And though I'm just Dad and not a hero, my little ones.
- Being just Dad's good enough for me.
- [It's now raining outside the shed. Darwin's very touched by Richard's song.]
- Darwin: [sobbing] I understand everything now. No, I don't. Yes, I do! No, I don't. What'd he say, again? Little one, I was the hero who taught you to walk, I was the hero who taught you to talk-- Hero! That's it! I need to make him feel like a hero again!
A Leap of Faith
- [The junkyard. It's raining heavily, and Gumball and Darwin are inside a rusty car body.]
- Gumball: Okay, so, where's the surprise?
- Darwin: He should be here any minute.
- Gumball: "He"? I thought there was gonna be a cake or something.
- Darwin: The surprise is gonna be better than a cake. I'm giving you... reconciliation with your father.
- Gumball: [sighs] Oh, man. I should've known it was something lame like that. Nobody invites people to eat cake in a junkyard. Go on, tell me your plan, then.
- Darwin: It's simple. We get picked up by that magnet and get dropped into that crusher.
- [Gumball does a double take as thunder crashes.]
- Gumball: What?! Are you insane?!
- Darwin: And I've called Dad to come and rescue us.
- Gumball: [does a double take again] What?! Are you insane?!
- Darwin: Don't worry. I can stop it at any time with this remote.
- Gumball: Ohh! I thought you were relying on Dad there for a minute. [chuckles] All right. Let's get started.
- [Darwin clicks the remote, activating the magnet crane. It lifts the car body up, and the powerful magnet draws the remote out of Darwin's fins, sticking to the roof. Gumball and Darwin attempt to pry it off the car's roof, but the magnet is too strong.]
- Gumball: Oh, great job! What are we gonna do now?!
- Darwin: It's okay! There's Dad now! He can stop it from that control box!
- [The Watterson car plows through the wire fence and crashes into the station.]
- Richard: I'm coming to save you!
- [Richard drives into the control box, moving the crane]
- Gumball: Here we go. We're doomed.
- Darwin: No, wait! Have some faith in him!
- Richard: Boys! Where are you?
- Darwin: Up here!
- Richard: How am I supposed to get up there?!
- Gumball: [sarcastically] Oh, I don't know. How 'bout you get us down using that ladder right there?!
- Richard: Oh, yeah. Okay. [He grabs the nearby ladder and tries to reach the car body, but the magnet rips it out of his hands. It sticks to the underside of the car body.] Aah!
- Gumball: [sarcastically] Wow. Really thought that one through, didn't ya?
- Richard: [looks down in shame] Ohh!
- Darwin: What is wrong with you?! Don't you know people have feelings? He's trying to help us!
- Gumball: [sarcastically] Well, great job he's doing so far.
- Darwin: You are so insensitive! Would it really hurt you to encourage him once in a while?
- Gumball: You can encourage a clam to read all you want, but that's not going to get it into college. People have limits, and Dad reached his own a long time ago.
- Richard: Don't worry, kids! I have an idea!
- [He pulls the switch at the control panel and the magnet powers down. The car body begins to plummet to the ground.]
- Gumball and Darwin: Aaaaaaaaaaaah!
- Richard: Aah! Ooh!
- [He pushes the switch back in on position, powering the magnet up. It immediately pulls the car body up.]
- Gumball and Darwin: [they smash into the car roof] Oww!
- Richard: I'm sorry! [control box explodes] Aah!
- [The crane's magnet powers up even more, attracting more metal objects, forming a large pile of objects]
- Richard: Aah! That's what I meant to do! [starts climbing towards the boys]
- Darwin: Great job, Mr. Dad!
- Richard: Thank you! [almost falls] Aaaah!
- [Darwin gasps. The magnet has pulled a chain of scrap metal toward the car body. Richard whimpers.]
- Gumball: [clapping sarcastically] Yeah, great job. Do you want us to save you before you save us?
- [Richard begins climbing the scrap metal chain toward the boys. A lawn mower turns on, shredding Richard's clothes.]
- Richard: Ow!
- Gumball: Saving us in style, huh?
Gumball and Darwin: Aah!
- [The steel cable attached to the magnet begins to fray. Richard falls off the scrap metal chain.]
- Richard: Aaah!
- Gumball and Darwin: Dad! No! [They begin to cry.]
- Gumball: [sobbing] He's gone. And I was laughing at him. Why didn't I tell him that, in spite of everything, I was proud, Darwin? I was proud of him! If he were still here, I would tell him! [Richard manages to climb onto the car body.] If he was still here-- [notices Richard] oh. You're here. So, what's your plan to get us down, huh?
- Richard: Uh...
- Gumball: Typical.
- [The cable frays more, threatening to drop the car body and its occupants. Only a single thread is left. Gumball sighs, then the cable finally gives way. They all fall, screaming. Richard is the first to land, next to an old mattress.]
- Richard: Aah! Ooh!
- [Darwin lands in his arms.]
- Darwin: Aaah!
- Richard: Ugh! ::[pained voice] You could have tried to land on the mattress. [normal voice] Wait a minute. Where's Gumball?
- Gumball: He-e-e-lp! [He's precariously balancing himself on a ladder over the mouth of the cruncher.]
- Richard: Son! You can do it!
- Gumball: Aaah! Aah! Aah! I can't do this!
- Richard: Gumball, you have to get up!
- Gumball: I-I--I-I can't!
- [A brief flashback to a younger Richard, then back to present day Richard.]
- Richard: Come on, son! You can do it!
- [A brief flashback to baby Gumball, then back to present day Gumball.]
- Gumball: I'm coming, Dad! Don't let me down!
- [A brief flashback to a scene of baby Gumball toddling toward younger Richard, then back to present day.]
- Richard: I won't! Jump!
- [Gumball inches forward, then finally jumps toward Richard as the ladder falls away, in slow motion. Darwin passes out. Richard catches his son into his chest, and they hug tightly as they begin crying.]
- Gumball: Please stop crying, Dad. You'll always be my hero.
- Richard: It's not that. It's just you're digging your claws into my nipples!
- [Darwin sobs.]
- Richard: Why are you crying, buddy?
- Darwin: Because I love hugs!
- Richard: Come here!
- [Darwin joins their group hug. It has stopped raining.]
- [Inside the Watterson shed. Richard is hammering the newest drawing onto the wall. It contains crude portraits of him with Gumball and Darwin. Above the figures are the words "Our Hero." Nicole is at the shed door.]
- Nicole: Aw. I'm glad you guys made up. Come on. Dinner's ready. [walks away.]
- [Richard starts to follow her, but discovers he's accidentally nailed his sleeve to the wall. He frowns as the screen fades to black. The episode ends.]
"The Hero" is the twenty-second episode of Season 2 of The Amazing World of Gumball. It is the fifty-eighth episode overall.
Richard overhears Gumball and Darwin making fun of him, hurting his feelings.
This episode starts out showing Gumball and Darwin on the bench of the Schoolyard, with Masami, Teri, Banana Joe and Hector, who are talking about how great their dads are. Once the kids ask Gumball and Darwin what their father does interesting, Richard pulls up in his car, and overhears the conversation. The only somewhat talents they can think of, sweating without moving and gaining weight, make the kids laugh. They then decide he's only good at embarrassing them all the time and that he can't even cook, as he puts cement instead of flour in his cupcakes. Richard listens and grows more depressed on how they feel about him, and the cement cupcakes he made fall out of the bag and onto the sidewalk, thus proving their point. Richard cries and goes home, dejected.
At The Wattersons' house, Gumball asks Nicole what's for dinner, she says chicken and fries, which in front of both Darwin and him are just an uncooked chicken breast and a dirty potato. Gumball asks Nicole if they can skip for dessert, Anais throws the cupcakes Richard made at them, and Gumball and Darwin don't know what they've done. Anais and Nicole tell them Richard overheard what they said at the playground, and he's been hiding in the shed ever since. Gumball says he will apologize to Richard, if what they said wasn't the truth. Nicole decides since they don't appreciate their parents, until they apologize to their father, they won't do anything else for them. Gumball accepts this challenge as he eats the potato, and Anais and Nicole look at him in curiosity. Nicole then says she paid for that potato, so Gumball spits it into her hand, saying he wasn't hungry anyway.
Meanwhile, Gumball and Darwin are waiting for Anais to get out of the shower, but since Nicole pays for the water bill and they aren't providing anything for them, they have to shower elsewhere. Gumball then annoys her by mocking everything she said, so she throws the bar of soap at his nose, making it swell. Gumball keeps the soap. Even though Darwin is regretting the challenge, they cover themselves in soap and wait by a puddle on a curb for a car to drive over it and splash them. They do get splashed by the puddle, but it only covers them in mud. They regret doing that but another car drives over and splashes them again. Gumball and Darwin return home with many bags, which they all got from the clearance aisle for a dollar. Darwin tells him they have to eat the food before the expiration date, which is what Larry said. Gumball says food doesn't have a sell-by date, that's what Larry want them to think, and Gumball demonstrates by eating a banana, only for it to go bad as he's eating it. He spits it out, and the two scramble to eat the food, but the eggs hatch, the sunflower seeds grow then wilt, and the meat goes rotten as soon as opened, gets covered in maggots and flies swarm the whole screen, and are they only left with a can with no label. They hope it's something edible, but when they open it, it's a seemingly dead rat in green goo. They feel sorry for it, only for it to wake up and hiss at them. The rat flees before Darwin smashes the plate with a frying pan, then cries.
The next day on the bus, Gumball and Darwin are malnourished, filthy, clothes in rags, and have flies all around them. Darwin is ready to apologize, but Gumball isn't. Rocky tells them they have to get off the bus, because their smell is disgusting everyone on the bus. In fact, all the students are huddled in the far right corner of the bus so they don't have to smell them. They get off, and Gumball decides angrily he's ready to apologize. They peek through the shed window, and see Richard hammering nails into wood on his lap, which actually were nailing into his lap. Gumball starts laughing, and says he can't do it anymore as he walks away. Darwin looks through the window again, and sees Richard looking at old photos of him, Darwin and Gumball. As he sings My Little Ones, Darwin understands everything now and realizes he has to make Richard feel like a hero again. Gumball and Darwin are then at the dump, inside an old car where Darwin tells him his plan.
Darwin's plan is for them to be put in a dangerous situation so that Richard can rescue them and regain a sense of self worth. The "dangerous situation" turns out to be the two of them sitting in a car that is to be destroyed in a car crusher. Gumball immediately rejects this plan, refusing to rely solely on their idiot father to rescue them from certain death, but changes his mind when Darwin tells him he can stop the stunt with the push of a button. The boys start the scenario, but Darwin's panic button is rendered useless by the magnet that lifts the car up. Gumball scolds Darwin for his lack of foresight. Just then, Richard drives in to rescue them, but smashes the control box that Darwin had planned for him to use. Next, he tries using a ladder for the boys to climb down; unfortunately, the ladder gets pulled up sideways instead of vertically, rendering it useless as well. Gumball mocks him, prompting Darwin to scold him.
Richard's next plan is to turn the magnet off using the control panel, but the car is so high up that falling would be just as bad as getting crushed, so Richard turns the magnet back on before the car hits the ground. He pushes the lever too far up, though, increasing the power of the magnet and causing several metal objects in the junkyard to get attracted. This turns out to be advantageous, as Richard uses the objects to climb to where Gumball and Darwin are. Unfortunately, the magnet wasn't designed to carry this much weight; the tension in the cable is too great, and it nearly snaps. The sudden drop is enough to shake Richard off and, to his kids' horror, he falls.
As Gumball and Darwin mourn his death, he climbs up from behind, apparently having been able to grab something before hitting the ground. But, in typical Richard fashion, he has no idea what to do now that he is up there, prompting Gumball to mock him again. Just then, the cable finally gives in, and the three of them are dropped. Richard and Darwin land well off to the side of the crusher, but Gumball lands on top of the car, which itself is on top of the ladder, which itself was on top of the crusher. The car is teetering back and forth - it won't be long before it falls. The ladder provides a shaky bridge leading outside the crusher, but Gumball istoo scared to walk it. With encouragement from Richard and memories of a similar situation from his childhood, he walks the ladder and jumps right into Richard's outstretched arms as the car falls into the crusher. Gumball hugs his dad tight, crying loudly. His dad is also crying, but only because Gumball's claws are squeezing his nipples. Darwin cries, too, and joins the hug.
The boys, having reconciled with their father, draw him a picture. Richard nails it to the wall of the shed as Nicole looks on, beaming. She tells him to come to dinner, then heads there herself. Unfortunately, Richard has nailed himself to the wall. He sighs, and the episode ends.
- This episode reveals that Darwin was given to Gumball as a Christmas present when he was younger.
- The episode was used as a Father's Day special in Cartoon Network US.
- This is also the first Father's Day special.
- Razor from "The Skull" makes a reappearance in this episode.
- Gumball's past self reappears from "The Treasure".
- This is the seventh time Richard seen in his underwear.
- Teri's mentioning of her dad being able to beat rock is a reference to the game Rock, Paper, Scissors - in the game, paper does indeed beat rock (by covering it).
- Richard's singing and dancing during the flashbacks is similar to that of hip-hop artist MC Hammer in his music video to U Can't Touch This.
- The clothes that Richard wears in some of Gumball's baby photos (red and black checkerboard flannel, black shirt, and jeans) resemble an outfit from the 90's grunge rock era. In fact, the yellow logo on the black shirt he is seen wearing is a reference to the famed "smiley face" used by Nirvana.
- Banana Joe takes a bite out of his sandwich, but on closer inspection, no evidence of a bite can be found.
- In "The Treasure," it is stated and shown that Gumball was an ugly baby, but the pictures in this episode show a normal baby. These pictures may have been taken later in his life, though.
- After the cupcake has fallen in the paper bag, Richard's right pair of whiskers are missing.
- When the remote to start/stop the magnet got magnetized to the roof of the car, it landed on the button, so the magnet should've stopped.