- To edit the transcript, click here.
- [Gumball, Darwin, Anais, and Richard are in the living room with the TV on. The doorbell rings and Anais answers it. It's Larry, who's dressed fancily and plays a fanfare. Anais gasps]
Anais: My prince charming has finally arrived! I knew it was worth kissing all those frogs.
Larry: Actually, I'm here to deliver a message to Gumball and Darwin.
Anais: Oh, well. [Holds up a frog] Back to work, Reginald.
- [Reginald lets out a deep, long croak and Anais walks away while kissing him]
Larry: You are about to receive an invitation to a birthday party.
- [He holds up a box that plays a fanfare and opens up to reveal a flower, which opens up to let a mechanical bird fly out. The bird explodes and there is a bright flash, which dilates Gumball's, Darwin's, Richard's, and Larry's pupils]
Gumball: Okay, so where's the invitation?
Larry: That was it, the confetti spelled it out.
Darwin: We were kinda blinded by the explosion.
Larry: Just close your eyes.
- [They do]
Gumball: Oh, my gosh, it's burned into our retinas!
Darwin: [reading] "Come to Masami's birthday party."
Gumball and Darwin: Dude, this is bad.
Larry: I know, I've seen it twenty times today. The doctor said it should fade sometime between now and the next ten years, have a nice day.
- [He leaves with his arm extended out. He falls off the porch, gets into the wrong car, drives into the mailbox, and backs into a street light, knocking it down and causing a fire. Gumball closes the door]
Gumball: We meant the birthday party is bad!
Richard: It's a party, what's not to like? There'll be cake and games and cake - CAAAAAAKE!
Darwin: You don't get it, Mr. Dad, this is Masami. She's like the princess of Elmore Junior High.
Gumball: Everything's gotta be perfect! You saw the invitation!
Richard: [closes his eyes] Still can.
Darwin: And who knows what will happen if she's disappointed. Her dad's a very powerful man.
Gumball: Do you remember Harry from third grade?
Richard: I remember Harry. He used to sit behind me in math.
Gumball: Not your third grade, our third grade.
Darwin: I remember him. He gave Masami a pair of toe-socks.
Gumball: Big mistake. Masami doesn't have legs. Next thing you know Harry's dad lost his job at the Rainbow Factory and the whole family moved outta town.
Richard: Don't worry, that could never happen to us. I don't have a job.
Darwin: But Mrs. Mom does. We need to get Masami the best gift ever.
Gumball: But what do you get for the girl who has everything?
Richard: [joyfully] Nothing! [Gumball and Darwin give him a blasé look. He laughs uneasily] Uh, what about friendship? Isn't being there for someone the most beautiful gift you can give?
Gumball: Or we lie our way out of the party.
Darwin: Yup, much better plan.
- [They both leave the house]
- [At school in the hall, Gumball and Darwin explain to Masami why they can't come]
Gumball: ...And that's when the raccoons broke into our house because they started that turf war with the skunks and while they were fighting, they fell into the shark tank and then one of the raccoons grabbed the invite and tried to get out, but got eaten anyway and that's why we can't come to your party, okay, bye!
- [He and Darwin turn to leave]
Masami: Hold on a second. [Gumball and Darwin stop] You can't come because you lost the invite that was burnt into your retinas?
- [Gumball inhales deeply]
Masami: We'll just have another one. [Snaps her fingers and Larry comes and gives them another invite. There's another bright flash, which causes Gumball's, Darwin's, and Larry's pupils to dilate and melt into their eyes] See you at the party, I guess.
- [She leaves]
Darwin: Of course, now that we're double-invited!
- [He and Gumball laugh before sighing. They start walking, but bump into Larry]
Gumball: Could you point us toward the classroom please?
Larry: Could you point me toward the exit?
- [Gumball points one way and Larry feels for his finger. Then Larry points the other way and Gumball feels for his finger. Gumball takes Darwin's fin and they all start walking. Larry falls out of a window while Gumball and Darwin end up inside one of the lockers]
- [Later, the bell rings and Masami is about to open her locker when Gumball and Darwin pop out]
Gumball: Hey, Masami, bet you don't know what pre-- [they both fall out] ...what present we got you that you would [singsong voice] really like.
Darwin: Dude, we haven't got her--
- [Gumball shoves Darwin's legs into his mouth]
Masami: [blasé] You're right. I don't know.
Gumball: But I bet you'd like to guess what present we got you that you would [singsong voice] really like.
Masami: Nah. I wouldn't.
Darwin: Please try.
Masami: [still unenthusiastic] Okay, um, is it the Mic Graves I saw at the store?
Gumball: No. Bye!
Masami: Well, is it the--
Masami: But it's just I need something for my--
- [She leaves]
Darwin: [softly] What's a Mic Graves?
Gumball: [softly] I don't know, mysterious girl stuff. But at least we know what to buy her.
- [Zoom out to reveal that everyone was hearing in on them]
Tobias, Jared, Tina, William, Carmen, Alan, Clayton, Egghead 1, Teri, Juke, Egghead 2, Jamie, Sarah, Bobert, Anton, Molly, Leslie, Ocho, Carrie, Idaho and Banana Joe: [gasp] Mic Graves!
- [They scramble]
Darwin: What a coincidence. I haven't heard of Mic Graves until Masami said it. And now everyone's talking about them.
Gumball: THEY WERE EAVESDROPPING, DUDE, COME ON!
Race to the Mall
- [Everyone runs down the hall. Gumball turns on a water fountain, causing Bobert to short out and crash into a wall. Darwin attaches Tobias' headband to a door handle, causing the former to start stretching out. Everyone enters the cafeteria and Darwin kicks Idaho into Principal Brown's lunch. He gets picked up by his fork and screams, causing Principal Brown to notice him and scream as well. Gumball and Darwin approach Teri and Darwin blows her away. Everyone exits the school. In the style of an 8-bit videogame, Gumball jumps on Ocho and uses him as a bowling ball against Jamie, Tina, Carmen, and William. Sarah reaches the mall parking lot.]
Sarah: I made it! I made it!
- [Darwin uses a car's side-view mirror to reflect the sun onto her and melt her head, making her fall over. Gumball, Darwin, Jamie, Tina, Carmen, and William enter the mall. Tobias is struggling to go any further due to his headband being so stretched out. The headband snaps and he falls on his face. Gumball and Darwin approach the elevator and Gumball rapidly presses the button. The others run toward them. Tina knocks Carmen and Jamie away, leaving only her and William. Tina roars and Gumball gets into the elevator, taking Darwin with. The door closes and Tina and William crash into it. Larry is standing in the art department and Gumball and Darwin approach him]
Gumball: Larry! Do you have any Mic Graves?!
Larry: Any what?
Gumball: Mic Graves - a Mic Grave!
Larry: Oh, Mic Graves, the artist. Yes, we have an original for sale.
Gumball: Great! I'll take it!
Larry: That's $4,000.
Darwin: What?! Where are we gonna find $4,000?
Larry: Oh, no, $4,000 is the title of the painting. It actually costs $20,000.
Darwin: Where are we gonna find $20,000??
Gumball: Same place we weren't gonna find $4,000.
Darwin: We need to think of something we can actually afford.
Gumball: Or some one.
- [They leave. Everyone else barges in and Larry screams]
Still Looking for a Gift
- [Cut to the school hallway]
Alan: [shaking his head] Mm-mm-mm-mm-mm.
Gumball: Aw, come on, Alan. All we're asking is to wrap you up, keep you overnight, and then give you as a love-gift to Masami. Is that so bad--actually, now that I've said that out loud, it does seem pretty bad.
Alan: You know my heart belongs to Carmen.
Gumball: Fine, we'll give you ten dollars.
Alan: Money can't buy love.
Darwin: What about ice cream?
Alan: Yes, I guess money can buy ice cream.
Gumball: He meant can ice cream buy your love?
Alan: You can't buy love or fake love. Love is immaterial, unquantifiable, love is, [Gumball and Darwin have left] uh... guys? [Sighs, then looks at the camera and smiles] Love is the butterflies in your stomach, [the camera begins to pan away and he tries to keep up] love is that rush you feel when you, uh, [the camera speeds up] that rush you feel when you--Hey! That rush you feel for knowing that there is more to this--[Grunts] Oh, come on!
- [Later, the bell rings again. Masami exits the girls' bathroom]
Carmen, Leslie, and Teri: Happy Day-Before-Your-Birthday Day!
- [They laugh sycophantically]
Masami: What are you talking about?
Carmen: [nervously] Heh, you know, the Day-Before-Your-Birthday Day, the tradition when your friends act like your slaves and in exchange, you tell them how to avoid making you angry at your party. Heh, heh!
Masami: Please don't do that.
Leslie: Yeah, leave her alone, guys. [Walks up to Masami] I got you a gift you'll love.
Masami: Look, please stop freaking out about the gift. Like, a flower is fine.
- [Leslie throws his gift away, hitting Teri]
Leslie: How funny, that's exactly what I got you. Look.
- [He picks his own head off and offers it to Masami, screaming several times]
Masami: Enough! Stop, fawning over me.
Teri: How exactly would you like us to stop fawning over you?
Leslie: Should we wind it down slowly?
Carmen: Or cut it altogether?
Masami: Can we just forget, that it is my birthday?
- [She leaves]
Teri: It's a test.
- [They run off. Gumball and Darwin come up off of the floor, disguised as it. They're scuffed up]
Gumball: Okay, you were right - we should have camouflaged ourselves against the wall instead of the floor.
Darwin: Did you notice how unhappy she was? It's like she's forgotten how to have fun. She's gone fun-numb.
Gumball: Yeah, does she even realize how good she has it? You know what? Maybe Dad was right, what she needs for her birthday is a big old nothing.
Darwin: Wait, I don't understand.
Gumball: You know how you only miss things once they're gone? What if our present was to give her a new taste for life? Something that'll make her realize how lucky she is?
Darwin: No, I understand that, what I don't understand is: Mr. Dad was right?
Gumball: How weird, but statistically, it had to happen one day.
- [They walk off. Fade out]
Trapped in the Basement
- [Fade in. In a closeup, Gumball has his hands over Masami's eyes]
Gumball: [softly] Guess what our present is.
Masami: I don't want anything.
Gumball: It's not something you want, it's something you need.
- [He removes his hands, letting Masami see]
Gumball and Darwin: Surprise!
- [They're in the Watterson basement]
Masami: You got me a basement?
Darwin: No - we locked you in our basement so you missed your birthday party and realized how much you actually wanted it.
Masami: Mm-hmm, right, although that is an interesting idea, it is a felony to lock people up against their will.
Gumball: And that's why we're gonna abandon that plan and open the door right now. [Rushes up to the door to open it, but he breaks the whole handle off] What's the jail time for an accidental felony? [Throws the handle away. He bangs on the door crying for help and Darwin yells, too. All of the rooms in the house are empty] Why will nobody help?!
- [Cut to the hospital. The Bandage Doctor talks to Nicole while Richard looks at Anais, who's lying in a bed, all swollen up, and holding a frog]
Bandage Doctor: ...Because your daughter kept kissing frogs. That's how you get frog flu. I'll prescribe wart cream, a healthy dose of reality, and far fewer princess movies.
- [The frog lets out a deep, long croak]
- [Cut back to the Watterson basement]
Masami: Okay, okay. Let's not panic. [Takes out her phone] I'll just text my dad. [Texting] "Dad, please help, they've locked me in a basement."
Gumball: [Trying to grab the phone] Whoawhoawhoawhoa, wait! [Grabs the phone] Wait! [The camera shutter and a ding are heard] You're making it sound like we've locked you in the basement against your will!
Masami: You kinda have.
Darwin: Your dad doesn't have to know that! And we said sorry.
Masami: No, you didn't.
Gumball: Well, we'll say it now.
- [He and Darwin start begging and saying "Sorry!"]
Masami: Apology not accepted! [Grabs her phone] And - YOU JUST SENT THIS TO MY DAD!
- [She shows a picture of herself shielding herself from the camera flash with the text "Dad please help they've locked me in a basement"]
Darwin: It was really bad!
Gumball: Okay, don't stress! I can fix this. [Grabs the phone again] "Hey, Mr. Yoshida. Your daughter is safe, to get her back, just follow my instructions. You need--"
- [Darwin grabs onto the phone]
Darwin: You're making it worse! [He and Darwin fight over the phone. Darwin gets it and the phone dings] "To get her back, just follow my instructions. You need 3M"? AS IN 3 MILLION DOLLARS?! Then there's emojis of a clock and a flamingo dancing. Does that make it more or less sinister?
Gumball: Listen, I'll just call him!
- [Grabs the phone again. Darwin reaches for it and they fight over it again as it dings repeatedly]
- [Cut to the party. Everyone is there, many of them smiling nervously as Mr. Yoshida's phone receives the texts]
Mr. Yoshida: [To the Doughnut Sheriff] And now they keep sending me weird courted messages.
Doughnut Sheriff: I'm not sure about the sheep blowin' air out of his butt onto a cake, but the clock and the flamingo dancer definitely means "Be on time or face the music." [Mr. Yoshida gasps] Don't worry, Mr. Yoshida. We've triangulated a signal. I'm sendin' in the big boys.
- [Cut back to the basement. Gumball and Darwin fall down the stairs, still fighting over the phone. They hit the floor and the phone lands face-down. Masami picks it up - the screen is broken]
Masami: How are we gonna call for help now?!
Gumball: Look for anything that could be useful!
- [They all rapidly dig around the basement]
Darwin: [Holds up a flare gun] Here!
Gumball: Yes! A flare! Someone's bound to see it!
Masami: Isn't that a bit dangerous?
Gumball: Masami, please, we've been in a lot of unexpected predicaments before and we always escape unhurt. [Masami and Darwin just look at him] Okay, we sometimes escape unhurt. [They still look at him] All right, we escaped unhurt once...and then we hurt ourselves on the way home.
Darwin: The point is: We're pros. [He pats Masami with the flare gun] Trust us.
- [The gun goes off and the flare ricochets into a box, which catches fire]
Gumball: Okay, although this looks bad, it could be a whole lot--[Everything else suddenly catches fire] Quick, rain on it!
- [Masami struggles, then blushes and stops]
Masami: I can't when I'm being watched.
- [There is an explosion off-screen and they run to another section of the basement, screaming]
Gumball: Oh, look! Two pipes - one is gas, one is water.
Darwin: [To Masami] It's your birthday, you choose.
- [There is a bigger explosion off-screen and they scream]
Masami: [Pointing to the bottom pipe] That one!
- [Gumball takes part of the pipe out and the water douses the fire. Gumball sighs and they all laugh until they realize that the basement starts to flood]
Darwin: What do we do?!
Gumball: Drink! Drink like your life depends on it! Which it does. [They all start drinking, but it's no use so they stop] Wait. Guys, what are we doing? I've got the perfect tool to get us out of here.
- [He uses the pipe part to suck in water]
Masami: [Grabs it] For goodness' sake! [Holds her breath, goes underwater, and uses the pipe part to pry the door open. They all fly out of the basement into the living room, coughing] Well. After being trapped in a basement with you guys, I certainly do appreciate my life a lot more.
Darwin: Sorry, we just wanted to get you the best gift possible.
Masami: I'd have been happy with something small - like these socks I got from Harry. [Her legs come out and she's wearing the socks] I wear them all the time.
Gumball: Okay, firstly: What? You got legs? Secondly: Everyone thought you had Harry's dad run out of Elmore. And thirdly: What? You got legs?
Masami: Firstly: Yes, I have legs. Secondly: Harry's dad got promoted, that's why they had to move away. And thirdly: See firstly. All I really wanted was for people to treat me like a normal person and sing "Happy Birthday" to me.
Gumball and Darwin: [To each other] Awww.
Gumball: Ready, Darwin?
- [They both inhale]
Gumball and Darwin: [singing] Happy--
- [A SWAT team of French Fries barges in and knock Gumball and Darwin on their faces while a police siren is heard]