To edit the transcript, click here
- Nicole: Gumball, don't forget to take that DVD back today or we'll get a fine.
- Gumball: Pffftt... Can't you do it? You're the one with the car.
- Nicole: I wasn't the one who watched Alligators on a Train seventy-two times.
- Gumball: Uppp... But, technically, you rented it with your money.
- Nicole: The money I have to go and earn to feed you kids.
- Gumball: The kids you decided to have.
- Nicole: [angrily punches a hole in the door]
- Gumball: [nervously] Yep! No problem, Mom! I'll take it back!
- Nicole: Oh, very kind of you, honey. And don't forget to put on some pants. Bye-bye!
- Gumball: [glances down at his pants-less legs, then sighs, walking into the kitchen, where Darwin is cutting a pizza] Darwin, have you seen that DVD anywhere I-- [realizes Darwin is using the DVD to cut the pizza] Darwin! What are you doing?
- Darwin: I'm using the pizza cutter.
- Gumball: That's not the pizza cutter, that's the DVD! Aw, give me that! [grabs it away from Darwin, seeing it covered with cheese] Oh man, you really have to be careful with these things. [grabs a scrubby sponge off the sink and starts wiping the DVD, unknowingly using the scouring side] The slightest scratch and they're ruined...forever.
- Darwin: Uh, Gumball...?
- Gumball: [interrupting] Hup, hup, hup! I am fed up with your carelessness, Darwin. This disk utilizes laser technology. You have treat it with respect.
- Darwin: You're using the wrong side of the scrubby sponge.
- Gumball: [realizes what he's doing, sees the DVD all scratched up, and screams, throwing the DVD into the air. It rolls around the sink for a while, then falls into the drain, where it's destroyed by the garbage disposal] No! No! What are we gonna do?! [crying]
- Darwin: Face the consequences of our actions and tell Mom?
- Gumball: [stops crying] Don't be silly. I've got a much better idea.
- [Scene cuts to The Laser Video Rental Store. Gumball puts a cardboard disc with the movie's name on it in the DVD case]
- Gumball: There. You can make anything with cardboard and no one will notice the difference.
- Darwin: Really? It looks kind of obvious.
- Gumball: Eh, you say that, but I lost my trousers three weeks ago, and still, no one's noticed. [starts walking away very awkwardly in the stiff cardboard pants]
- Darwin: Everyone's noticed that walk, though.
- Gumball: Really?
- Darwin: You look like you went to the bathroom in a spacesuit.
- [Cuts back to the Wattersons' house, Gumball is sitting on the couch watching TV. Darwin runs in, holding a red envelope]
- Darwin: Dude, it's a letter from Laser Video!
- Gumball: Ah, so what? Put it with the others.
- [A small pile of letters is shown behind the couch]
- Darwin: No, this one's red! It means urgent!
- Gumball: Red envelope or red writing?
- Darwin: [looks at the envelope closely] Red writing on red envelope. It's really hard to read actually. [opens the envelope, reading the note inside] It says we have to pay twenty-five dollars for the DVD!
- Gumball: Aaah! What are we gonna do?!
- Darwin: Face the consequences of our actions and tell Mom?
- Gumball: No, no, no, no, no. Just give me a little time to think.
On the Streets
- [Scene cuts outside a convenience store, where Gumball and Darwin are begging with a cardboard hat]
- Darwin: It took you two days to think of this?
- Gumball: Less complaining, more begging. How much have we got anyway?
- Darwin: [rifles through the change in their hat] Like, three dollars?
- Gumball: Great! Twenty-two more and we can pay for the DVD. Now pinch me, we get more when it looks like I'm crying. [Darwin pinches his arm, causing him to tear up]
- Otter Hobo: The reason you guys are on the streets is to pay a DVD fine?
- Gumball: Yeah, I know, it's crazy, right? People don't understand how hard our life is.
- [The Otter Hobo reaches down, switching the places of the hats]
- Gumball: Hey!
- [When Gumball tries to take their money back, the hobo starts grunting. Every time his hand moves towards the hat, the hobo growls. Darwin starts making a beat, and then they all turn it into rap music. An old antlered-man passes by and drops money into the boys' hat]
- Gumball and Darwin: Yay! [The Otter Hobo swipes the money and walks into the store] But...huh...
- Darwin: That guy stole our cash!
- Gumball: [sighs] Well, Darwin, sometimes in life you have to realize that there are less fortunate people than ourselves. He needs that money more than we do.
- Otter Hobo: WOOHOO! I WON! I spent your money on a scratch card, and now I'm a millionaire!
- Gumball: That's great! So, can we have our four dollars back?
- Otter Hobo: Oh...uh...sorry, guys. I don't have anything in change. [walks away, the sound of lots of change jingling in his coat. Gumball sighs]
- [Back at the house, Darwin checks the answering machine]
- Machine: You have 8 new messages.
- Larry (on the machine): Hi, Laser Video here... [Darwin skips the message] Hello, it's Laser Video... [skip] You need to bring back...[skip] You need...[skip]...to bring...[skip]...the film...[skip]...back to the shop. [skip] Ha ha, I knew you were trying to skip my messages!
- Darwin: Gumball, I think we need to get a job.
- Gumball: [looking through the newspaper] Mmm, can you cook?
- Darwin: No.
- Gumball: Can you drive?
- Darwin: No.
- Gumball: Can you speak Chinese?
- Darwin: [speaking in a long Chinese dialect, subtitles] No.
- Gumball: Can you provide inspirational leadership to a court team of 30 people covering both national/international markets?
- Darwin: Mmm, no.
- Gumball: Wait! How about this one? "Looking for a person with no skills or training to serve as a scientific subject for the cosmetics industry."
- Darwin: What does that mean?
- Gumball: It means they'll put make-up on us and see if it looks nice.
- Darwin: [gasp] Kind of like modeling?
- Gumball: Yeah.
- Darwin: I'd always thought I make a good model.
- Gumball: What makes you think that?
- Darwin: High cheekbones.
- Gumball: There are bones in there? [pushes his hand into Darwin's cheek. It goes in a long way before it hits something] Oh ha, there are.
On the Job
- [Cut to the cosmetics building, Gumball and Darwin answer questions to the Cupcake Woman]
- Cupcake Woman: Are you boys 18?
- Gumball: Uhh...does it count that I've been both 8 and 10?
- Cupcake Woman: [sighs] I suppose so. Now step into the make-up booth.
- Voice: Please relax. Look at the red dot, and pout.
- [Gumball and Darwin do as the machine says. Makeup is then thrown on their faces. It comes on neatly for Darwin, but Gumball screams as the makeup hits him, and he falls to the floor.]
- Darwin: [admires himself in the mirror] Hey, that's not bad. Looking good. [screams as he sees Gumball] What happened to you?!
- Gumball: [his face is badly swollen] I think I'm allergic. [sucks his tongue] How come you look so good? [sucks his tongue]
- Darwin: I don't know. Maybe it's something to do with my perfect skin.
- Gumball: I think I'm gonna get this off. [wipes his face with a wipe, causing both the makeup and his eye to smear] What happened? Why am I looking at the floor?
- Cupcake Woman: Okay boys. How did the test go---? [screams as she sees Gumball]
Mom Senses Tingling
- [Cuts back to the Wattersons' house]
- Gumball: I can't believe she only gave us five bucks. It costs more than that to get home on the bus. [struggles to open the door, because there is now a huge pile of letters in front of it] Huh? Oh, man! More letters from Laser Video! Oh, we're in so much trouble! We have to hide these before Mom gets home! [The phone suddenly rings, and Gumball goes to answer it] Yes?
- Nicole: Honey, are you in trouble? Because my mother senses are tingling. I can smell trouble.
- Gumball: Trouble? [chuckles nervously] No, we're fine. Absolutely no trouble here, bye.
- Nicole: Are you lying?
- Gumball: [laughs] No, of course not.
- Nicole: Right, you're lying. I'm coming home now.
- Gumball: Mom's on her way home. Now.
- Darwin: [gasps] What should we do?! Should we tell the truth and face the consequences of our actions?!
- Gumball: What is it with you with trying to be honest all the time?! No, we need to copy Alligators on a Train. I know. I'm gonna download it.
- Darwin: [gasp] GUMBALL! You wouldn't steal a car, you wouldn't steal a woman's purse, you wouldn't steal a cell phone! PIRACY IS STEALING!
- Gumball: I know. I'm-- I'm so sorry.
- Darwin: Anyway, I got a better idea.
- Gumball: [quickly] Is it stupid, desperate and very unlikely to get us out of this mess?
- Darwin: [quickly] Yes.
- Gumball: [quickly] Is it humiliating?
- Darwin: [quickly] If we get it wrong.
- Gumball: [quickly] Are we likely to get it wrong?
- Darwin: [quickly] Possibly.
- Gumball: [quickly] In the time it's taking me to ask these questions, could you have just told me what it is?
- Darwin: [quickly] Technically.
- Gumball: [quickly] Can we get on with it then?
- Darwin: [quickly] Yeah, we better.
- [Cuts to the front of the house, where Nicole's car pulls up]
- Nicole: [walks towards the house, but stops after passing the mailbox, and sniffs, like a dog picking up a trail. The trail leads her to the mailbox, which dumps letters at her feet as she opens it. She picks one up and reads it] I knew it. You are in so much TROUBLE!
- [Gumball and Darwin are putting a DVD into the Laser Video case when they hear Nicole]
- Gumball: We need to get to Laser Video before Mom kicks our butt!
- [Gumball and Darwin race out the back door, with Nicole right behind]
- Nicole: What did you do this time?!
- Gumball: [gasps]
- Nicole: STOP! RIGHT! THERE!
- Gumball: QUICK! [grunts and pulls Darwin over the fence]
- Nicole: [easily jumping the fence] WHERE DO YOU THINK YOU'RE GOING!?! DON'T YOU DARE RUN AWAY FROM YOUR MOTHER!
- [Gumball and Darwin run through a yard, knocking over an umbrella, a table, and a lawn recliner. Nicole vaults up the umbrella, leaps off it, grinds across the table edge on the grill cover, then flips through the air, slides down the chair, and lands perfectly on her feet]
- Nicole: UGH!
- Gumball and Darwin: Whoa.
- [Gumball and Darwin run through Mr. Fitzgerald's back yard, crossing the pool by jumping on Mr. Fitzgerald and his inflatable raft. Nicole crosses by jumping off Penny's sister's head. Gumball and Darwin then land on a trampoline in the next yard, with Nicole coming right down at them like a pouncing tiger]
- Gumball and Darwin: Aah!
- [Gumball and Darwin manage to bounce away, taking the trampoline with them, resulting in Nicole face-planting into the dirt.]
- Gumball: Mom, are you okay?
- Nicole: [muffled] You're in so much trouble.
- Gumball: What was that?
- Nicole: [lifts her head] YOU'RE IN SO MUCH TROUBLE!
- [The boys scream, then resume running. They jump over another fence, only to find themselves confronted by an angry dog. They edge around the fence, but Gumball notices the stake holding the dog's rope coming loose]
- Gumball: QUICK!
- [Gumball and Darwin escape through a loose plank on the other side of the fence, as the pursuing dog smacks into it, and keeps barking. Nicole enters the yard from the other side, and the dog turns its attention to her. The boys stop running when they hear Nicole's scream]
- Darwin: Gumball, we have to help Mom!
- Gumball: I don't know. Maybe she'll be okay. [chuckles nervously]
- Darwin: [angry] GUMBALL! There's a monstrous creature attacking our mother! We have to face the consequences of our actions and HELP HER OUT!
- Gumball: Yes. I'm-- I'm sorry. You're right. [suddenly the barking stops] Wait a minute. Why has it gone quiet?
- [there's a brief moment of tension as they watch the fence. Then suddenly, Nicole bursts through the fence, riding the dog]
- Gumball and Darwin: AAAAAAAAHHHH!
- [A top view is shown of several more yards being crashed through]
- Nicole: STOP RIGHT NOW!
- Gumball: AAH!
- [Gumball and Darwin separate, and Nicole and the dog continue crashing through, leaving a long line of fence holes in their wake until they collide with a brick wall. Gumball and Darwin look at each other a moment, then run off]
Sometimes You Just Have To Run
- [Scene cuts to Laser Video. Gumball and Darwin race inside]
- Gumball: Stop the letters! Stop the letters!
- Larry: [looks up from a newspaper] Huh. The Wattersons, it's about time you showed up. I assume you have my money?
- Gumball: Better than that, Larry, we got the DVD.
- Larry: I hope you don't mind if I make sure it's real. Last time, it was a piece of cardboard.
- Gumball: Huh. Go for it.
- [Gumball and Darwin wink at each other. Larry loads the DVD into a DVD Player. The screen cuts through static to an obviously homemade version of the movie. Darwin's hands are seen holding a cardboard sign with "Alligators on a Train" written in crayon]
- Darwin: Alligators on a Train. [The movie cuts to Darwin, wearing a fake mustache, standing in front of a cardboard alligator and a cardboard train "background." The backyard fence is visible through the train "windows"] OH, NO! This alligator is on this train! [Darwin is shown "fighting" the "alligator" for a while, then he wipes the sweat off his brow, before saying his next line. The alligator, however, is still in the background.] Thank goodness we got all the alligators off this train.
- [The scene then changes to the backyard, where the sun is setting. Gumball and Darwin are standing with their backs to the camera, their arms hugging themselves]
- Gumball: [feminine voice] Thank you so much for saving us from all the alligators on this train. [kissy noises]
- [The movie then shows a list of "credits," almost all of which are credited to either Gumball, Darwin or "cardboard"]
- Gumball: Doo-doo-doo. Alligators off this train. [humming] Alligators off this train. [humming] Alligators on a Train!
- Larry: [turns to Gumball and Darwin, in an unimpressed tone] This had better be a joke.
- Gumball: Aw, man. What gave it away?
- Larry: Dude, it's five seconds long and every name in the credits is one of you two.
- Darwin: [whispering] I told you we should've put some other people on the credits.
- Gumball: [whispering] What, and let them have all the glory?
- Larry: Well, there's no way I can accept this. You need to give me the real DVD, NOW!
- Gumball and Darwin: [gasp] We can't! We used it to cut a pizza, and then we scratched it with the wrong side of the scrubby sponge, and then we threw it in the waste disposal! Please don't tell our mom!
- Nicole: [is right behind them now] I already know. [Gumball and Darwin scream] How much is the DVD, Larry?
- Larry: Twenty-five dollars.
- Nicole: WHAT!?! You made me leave work and chase you through the neighborhood on a dog for twenty-five dollars?!
- Gumball: But... but we were scared to tell you.
- Nicole: Aw silly, there's nothing you can do that will ever stop me loving you. Come here. [they hug] Now, let me pay for that.
- Gumball: See Darwin, you should ALWAYS tell the truth and face the consequences of your actions. [Darwin looks surprised, then punches Gumball in the arm] OW!
- Nicole: Come on, let's go home, you little troublemakers.
- Larry: [stopping them] Uh, just a minute, there's also the lateness fee.
- Nicole: Oh, yes of course. How much is it please?
- Larry: Let me see. Three months and three days late. That will be seven-hundred dollars.
- Nicole: [chuckles] You see boys, sometimes in life you really have to face the consequences of your actions. And sometimes you just [suddenly grabs Gumball's hand] RUN!
- Larry: Hey, hey, HEY!
- [The episode ends with a freeze frame of Nicole, Gumball, and Darwin running from Larry]
The DVD is the first episode of season one of The Amazing World of Gumball.
Gumball and Darwin go to extreme lengths to avoid paying a DVD fine.
to return the DVD of Alligators on a Train
back to Laser Video
. However, Gumball doesn't want to, and talks back to his mother. He changes his mind when she punches a hole in the door in anger. Slightly shaken by his mother's outburst, he goes to the kitchen to ask Darwin
if he has seen the DVD, and is shocked to see him using it as a pizza cutter. Gumball grabs it from him and starts cleaning it with the wrong side of the "scrubby" sponge. Darwin points this out, and Gumball realizes that the DVD is horribly scratched. Gumball screams and the DVD is flung into the air, landing in the waste disposal and getting torn into pieces. They flip out for a moment, but then Gumball decides they need to find a way to replace the DVD without their mom finding out, ignoring Darwin's suggestions to "tell the truth and face the consequences of their actions" throughout the episode.
Gumball replaces the DVD with a cardboard cutout and returns it, but Darwin thinks that Larry won't be fooled. Later, Gumball and Darwin receive a red envelope with red writing on it. It turns out that they knew the DVD was fake, and they want the real one. Now they must pay the DVD fee of $25, and Gumball tries again to make a new plan. Two days later, Gumball and Darwin decide to get money by pretending to be beggars on the streets, which gets them $3. A real hobo asks them whether they're begging just to pay off a DVD replacement fee. Gumball admits they are, so the hobo switches the hat containing Gumball's money with his empty one. Every time Gumball reaches his hand out for his hat, the hobo growls at him, so Darwin starts beat-boxing and Gumball reaches for his hat rhythmically. A man walks down the street and pays Gumball and Darwin a dollar, but the hobo steals it and heads inside the store. Gumball tells Darwin that their begging plan was wrong, since the hobo clearly needs the money more than they do. They feel sorry for him until he buys a winning scratch ticket and gets a million dollars. Gumball asks for his $4 back, but the hobo says he does not have any money, even though his pockets are full of it.
Later, Gumball and Darwin try to find jobs in the newspaper. They reject many jobs, as they aren't skilled enough. (Ironically, Darwin turns down a job which he is suited for when Gumball asks him if he can speak Chinese, explaining in fluent Chinese that it is a difficult language.) They finally find a job in cosmetics for make-up testing. As they test inside a customized photo booth, the boys have to look at a red dot and make a face, and then makeup is splatted at them. Darwin focuses the dot all the way through, giving him perfect results. However, Gumball yelped and lost focus when the blush was splatted on, and he also gets an allergic reaction, deforming his face. When he wipes off the makeup, his eye stretches, making him look at the floor. They only make $5, which isn't even enough for the bus ride home.
Gumball and Darwin find many more letters from Laser Video in their home, before hearing the telephone ring. Answering, he discovers his mom is on the other line and is suspicious, claiming she can "smell trouble" with her mother senses. He states that everything is fine, but she is unconvinced. Believing that Gumball is lying, she tells him that she's coming home. When Darwin hears this, he once more suggests they face the consequences of their actions, but Gumball instead thinks that they should download a copy the film. Darwin points out that it is illegal to do so, quoting an anti-piracy commercial, and comes up with a better plan, one that Gumball already assumes is stupid, desperate, very unlikely to save them, and above all humiliating, but decides to go along with it.
Nicole discovers one of the letters as she arrives home. Gumball and Darwin take out a replacement DVD and start running away, and Nicole chases them to find out what they did. They jump many fences until Nicole face-plants on the ground, and is even more furious. The boys escape a ferocious pet dog, leaving Nicole to fight the dog while Darwin worries that Nicole is getting hurt. The fighting stops, and they fear for Nicole's life until she smashes through the fence, riding the dog after them. She chases them until she hits a brick wall, knocking her out, giving Gumball and Darwin the advantage.
Gumball and Darwin arrive at the DVD store and hand over the disc, which turns out to be a homemade version of Alligators on a Train. Unfortunately, Larry sees that it is fake. The movie is of poor quality, is five seconds long, and has only Darwin's and Gumball's names on the credits. They break down and tell him what happened and beg him not to tell their mom, who turns out to be right behind them. So she pays the $25 for the lost DVD, shocked that she went through all that trouble for this, and tells Gumball and Darwin about how she's not mad, but that she still loves them no matter what happens. After the speech, Larry tells her that she must pay the late fee which totals to $700. She calmly tells the boys that "sometimes in life, you have to face the consequences of your actions, and sometimes you just... RUN!". The episode ends with a still picture of the family running away while Larry tries to chase them.
Nicole: Gumball, don't forget to return the DVD otherwise we will get a fine.
Gumball: Aww! Can't you do it? You're the one with the car.
Nicole: Well, I wasn't the one who watched Alligator On The Train 72 times.
Gumball: Ah! But technically, you rented it with your money.
Nicole: The money I have to earn to feed you kids.
Gumball: The kids you decided to have.
[Nicole is so angry that she punches the door with her fist]
—Nicole and Gumball
Darwin: Dude, it's a letter from Laser Video!
Gumball: Ah, so what, put it with the others.
[A pile of envelopes are shown including one stamped "Final Notice", one stamped "Urgent", one stamped "Final Demand", and one stamped "Past Due" next to the couch]
Darwin: No, this one's red! It means urgent!
Gumball: Red envelope or red writing?
Darwin: Red writing on red envelope. It's kind of hard to read actually.
—Darwin and Gumball
Gumball: And we are going to return a copy of Alligators on a Train. I know. I'm gonna download it.
Darwin: [gasps] Gumball! You wouldn't steal a car! You wouldn't steal a woman's purse! You wouldn't steal a cell phone! Piracy is stealing!
Gumball: I know, I'm- I'm so sorry.
Darwin: Anyway, I have a better idea.
—Gumball and Darwin
Darwin: I'm using the pizza cutter!
Nicole: I knew it. You are in so much trouble!
Gumball: We need to get to Laser Video before mom kicks our butt! [Gumball and Darwin attempts to run, but gets caught by their mom]
Nicole: What did you do this time?! [seeing both of them escaping]
Nicole: Stop! Right! There!
Gumball: [while pulling Darwin over the fence] Quick!
Nicole: [while chasing the two down] Where do you think you're going?! Don't you dare run away from your mother!
—Nicole and Gumball
- This episode has a DVD named after it.
- Nicole is the first character to speak in this episode, making her the first character to speak in the entire series.
- Nicole and Gumball are also the first characters to appear in this episode, making them the first characters to appear in the entire series as well.
- Gumball is allergic to make-up as shown when his face was severely swollen during the scene where they try to get money from doing a make-up test.
- A full version of Alligators on a Train credit song will play on the real credits if this episode is the last session airing.
- Assuming 30 days to a month, a late fee of $700 over three months and three days means that it costs around $7.50 a day to rent from Laser Video.
- A preview of the episode aired on May 3, 2011, and gathered 2.120 million viewers. When the episode aired on May 9, 2011, it gathered 1.937 million viewers.
- Though this episode aired in the US as the series premiere, it was actually the final episode of season one to be produced.
- Gumball asks Darwin if he speaks Chinese, but the Chinese people actually speak Mandarin.
- Darwin quotes an infamous anti-piracy video when Gumball suggests burning a illegal copy of the DVD.
- Alligators on a Train is a spoof of Snakes on a Plane.
- Nicole's line "I wasn't the one who watched Aligators on a Train seventy-two times" is a reference to "seen Star Wars twenty-seven times", a phrase that originated in Freaks and Geeks.
- When the Hobo switches the two hats, The Purple Moose gives Gumball and Darwin a dollar, then the hobo takes it. But when the hobo bought a scratch card, Gumball said can he have his three dollars back even though he had the three dollars.
- When both Gumball and Darwin wink, Darwin's eyelashes disappear.
- When Gumball and Darwin are running from Nicole, Gumball's whiskers disappear for a split-second.
- Mr. Fitzgerald is seen living in the same neighborhood as The Wattersons, but in "The Knights", he is seen living in a different neighborhood, even voicing his displeasure of the Wattersons' neighborhood. It is possible that he moved to a different neighborhood.