| Joan Markham
| Character Information
Joan Markham is a minor character in The Amazing World of Gumball. She is the school nurse of Elmore Junior High. Teri, being a hypochondriac, is one of her most frequent visitors. She also dislikes Miss Simian, because she believes that her treatment of students is terrible, as seen in "The Joy."
Joan appears to be an anthropomorphic bandage. She is dressed in typical nurse fashion, wearing a white dress and hat, with a red cross symbol on them. Her limbs are skinny and red. She also resembles the Bandage Paramedics shown in "The Prank," and the Bandage Doctor from "Christmas." In fact, every medical professional seen in the show so far has been a bandage, except for Dr. Butt and the Twitchy Scientist. She appears to have a bit of an overbite, and possesses a large pair of glasses. As revealed in "The Cage," she has blonde hair under her nurse's cap.
Although not unskilled, she doesn't appear to care much about the well being of the students overall. This is seen when she chooses not to bother with helping Darwin in "The Allergy." This may be in part due to Teri, who constantly sees her for silly reasons due to her own hypochondria.
- "The Mystery": She is seen helping Principal Brown, after his accident caused by Gumball.
- "The Sock": She is mentioned in passing by Principal Brown.
- "The Banana": She is seen with Mr. Small healing Banana Joe after he accidentally pulls off an eye. This is also her first speaking role.
- "The Skull": She gives a medal to Clayton for saving Gumball in a montage.
- "The Bet": She is consulted to fix Bobert three times; on the third time, she gets fed up, and refers him to a mechanic.
- "The Virus": She makes a checkup to Gumball, and discusses with Teri because Teri thinks she is useless.
- "The Boombox": She is one of the passengers on an airplane.
- "The Coach": She regretfully gives Gumball and Darwin a slip to skip going to the gym.
- "The Joy": She doubts Miss Simian's claims of the Joy infection, and later falls victim to said infection.
- "The Law": She briefly appears outside of the police station.
- "The Allergy": Darwin goes to her when he gets an allergy but she immediately turns him away for unknown reasons.
- "The Parking": She is seen at Elmore Hospital.
- "The Girlfriend": She is part of Jamie's apology note.
- "The Advice": She gets attacked by the Abraham Lincoln Goat.
- "The Parasite": She is seen checking up Anais and Jodie's parasite.
- "The Love": She is seen at Elmore Hospital.
- "The Compilation": She is seen performing surgery on someone at the hospital.
- "The Stories": She helps Gumball and Darwin give Molly an interesting story.
- "The Test": She tells Tobias he's been unconscious for several days.
- "The Matchmaker": She sees Darwin taped to the wall in her office.
- "The Singing": She takes Teri to the hospital.
- "The Lady": One of the bandage paramedics wears her clothes.
- "The Father": She takes the Joyful Burger staff to the hospital.
- "The Cage": Her first major role. She gets wooed by Mr. Corneille.
Click here to view the gallery.
- A recurring gag with Joan is her saying "I'm a doctor, not a ____", referencing the wide variety of species at Elmore Junior High. One example is "I'm a doctor, not a mechanic." when asked to fix Bobert.
- Joan's name is revealed in "The Cage."
- Joan's full name is based on the name of one writer for the show, Joe Markham.
- Joan, Rachel, Jackie, Mrs. Jötunheim, Darwin (used to grow hair), Rob, the Orange Guards, Razor, the Manly Warrior, the Crocodile Woman, Dr. Butt, Carlton, Troy, Mr. Kreese, Donald, and the Human are the only characters on the show with real hair.