This is a Featured Article. This page was selected as Featured Article on the main page. A new article will be elected soon.
Thank you for supporting the Gumball Wiki.
| Character Information
Rob is a major antagonist and a supporting character in The Amazing World of Gumball. He was a former background student at Elmore Junior High and was first seen in a poster of the show posted online. In later seasons, he becomes the main antagonist of the show, and Gumball's sworn enemy.
Rob is a cyclops with a very slim blue body. He has a single large eye located in the center of his face with a pink iris. He has extremely long, skinny limbs, pink hands, and an over-sized head. His body is very thin and is covered by a pair of red shorts, an orange sleeved yellow T-shirt, and a brown backpack. He has medium-length brown hair, which slightly covers his eye. He also wears dark orange shoes with black buckles and gold laces.
In Season 2, he gets a minor redesign. He becomes a 2D character.
After his escape from the Void, he becomes disfigured due to the Void attempting to pull him back in as he clung on to Janice. His head and shoes are now much more polygonal, and parts of his face and his arms periodically display distorted static. The left half of his head is now bare, and the hair that remains has also become polygonal in shape and solid brown in color. His single eye is now pale yellow and his pink iris is gone, becoming a black pupil, and his eyebrow changed from black to brown. Initially after his escape from the void, his pupil was a lemniscate shape, though it has gradually become more ovular. His skin tone has changed from blue to grey, and his left shoe has been reduced to chartreuse wire-frame. His other shoe and right hand have changed color to slate grey. He wears the same mustard-yellow shirt and red shorts, though the sleeves of his shirt are missing, and his backpack is polygonal as well.
Rob was formerly a friendly, sociable person who would say hi to anyone, and would help people he knows if he happened upon them. He does, however, get deeply offended when someone forgets his name. When one of his friends forgets his name, he scolds them, and will even hinder their progress if he can. Two examples of such friends are Gumball and Darwin, who mistakenly call him several different names in "The Pony".
After his escape from the Void, he loses his memory for a while and becomes somewhat depressed. He lives in the basement of the Wattersons' house until Gumball and Darwin become suspicious of his stolen goods. They eventually track him down, and after cornering him, they force him to explain his actions. The boys suggest he become their arch-nemesis - a suggestion that triggers his memory. He recounts how he begged the boys for help as they passed him in the void, and how they ignored him and went for Molly. His villainous backstory set, he swears vengeance on the boys and agrees to become their arch-nemesis.
As a villain, Rob has a very nihilistic philosophy on life. No longer does he care about the well beings of others, and only cares about getting revenge on his self-sworn nemesis: Gumball. This is evident in "The Bus" when kidnaps both the students, and the adults aboard the bus with plans to blow them up simply because he hates Gumball. Such a philosophy is explored even further in "The Disaster" and "The Rerun," in which he becomes aware of his fictional status and wants to make Gumball's life as miserable and broken as possible for the way he's treated on the show.
Despite this, "The Rerun" does show he has a heart as after Gumball attempts to save him, he sacrifices his friendship with Gumball to return to his villainous lifestyle and undo all of the damage. This attitude changes, however, in "The Ex," when Gumball foils all of his plans to destroy Banana Joe, and at the end of the episode, re-establishes his hatred for Gumball.
- Ross (by Gumball)
- Rich (by Gumball and Darwin)
- Ralph (by Gumball)
- Rolph (by Gumball)
- Rog (by Gumball)
- Bob (by Gumball and Darwin)
- Rose (by Gumball)
- Roy (by Gumball)
- Rocks (by Gumball)
- "Early reel": He is seen in the playground during the opening shot.
- "The Party": Rob is seen at the party with Tobias, and playing catch Molly, using Alan as a ball.
- "The Genius": Rob is seen on Fessebook and Elfotomore during the scene where Gumball first encounters the internet. He appears to be friends with Alan, Teri, Leslie, and Carmen.
- "The Fight": Rob is seen cheering on the fight between Tina and Gumball.
- "The Pony": His first speaking role. He meets Gumball and Darwin on the streets, but gets kicked into a manhole by Darwin. Later, he is seen trapped in the sewers.
- "The Internet": He briefly appears on one of the pop up windows.
- "The Finale": He is seen in the angry crowd of Elmore civilians attacking the Wattersons. He mentions they kicked him down a manhole from "The Pony".
- "The Void": Rob makes a cameo appearance in the Void, perceived by the world as a "mistake" for reasons never explained, although the fact he is a very minor character, or his lack of purpose in life brought up in later episodes are the most likely reasons. He can be seen standing in the background by an early version of the Wattersons' residence.
- "The Nobody": This episode marks Rob's first major role. He has managed to escape the Void, but is now disfigured as a result, and has started living in the Wattersons' basement. He also has lost his memories of who he is. He eventually remembers who he is thanks to Gumball and Darwin, and now seeks revenge on them for abandoning him.
- "The Nemesis": His second major role. After many attempts to capture Gumball and Darwin, he gives up. The boys, feeling sorry for him, help him with getting better at his villainous role, even giving him the name "Dr. Wrecker." Although they succeed in making him much eviler, they also fuel his hatred for them.
- "The Uploads": He briefly appears on one of the videos Gumball and Darwin click, saying "Revenge" in his evil voice.
- "The Love": He is part of the song "What is Love?."
- "The Bus": His third major role. He had an evil plot to get a million dollars and destroy everyone on the bus with an explosive briefcase. He was defeated at the end of episode when briefcase explodes, sending him flying and landing on a police car.
- "The Disaster": His fourth major role. He finds a remote that is capable of time travel, fast forwarding and rewinding time and uses it for revenge on Gumball.
Click here to view the gallery.
Did you just call me Rich like it was a question?
|—Rob, when Gumball called him Rich in "The Pony"|
They kicked me down a manhole!
|—Rob, when the citizens of Elmore were breaking into the Watterson's house in "The Finale."|
I clung to life, and I came back. But at a cost. You left me disfigured, a nobody, but now you've given me a part to play in the world.
|—Rob, during his flashback in "The Nobody"|
I'm trying, man, I'm trying to be your enemy!
|—Rob, when he was trying to destroy Gumball in "The Nemesis"|
I will destroy you and everyone you love!
|—Rob, in "The Nemesis"|
Darn auto-correct... stupid thing never works.
|—Rob, messaging in "The Bus"|
You turned me into the villain, Gumball Watterson, you left me with this broken body, you gave me this ridiculous voice! But now, I am in control. And the time has come for you to pay.
|—Rob, in "The Disaster"|
THAT'S NOT EVEN A MAN'S NAME!
|—Rob, after Gumball called him various names including Rocks in "The Disaster"|
No, no, no, my name isn't- MY NAME IS ROB, GOSH DARNIT!
|—Rob, when Gumball gets his name wrong in "The Disaster"|
Why? This is where my story ends! I belong here with the rest of the universe's mistakes, like socks and sandals, the helicopter ejector seat, and ...whatever that thing is.
|—Rob, when he was trapped in the Void in "The Rerun"|
"Yea, I should have let you know. The thing is, I'm neme-seeing someone else now."
|—Rob, in "The Ex"|
What is wrong with you?! You just ruined the whole thing for me again! I don't believe it! You've got to be the most insufferable, annoying, selfish person I've ever met!
|—Rob, becoming Gumball's nemesis again in "The Ex"|
- Rob started off as a minor character turned antagonist, starting with the ending of the episode "The Nobody."
- Rob made a cameo on the computer in "The Genius," and it shows that his friends are (in order) Teri, Alan, Leslie and Carmen. It also shows him wearing a mustang mask in the desert on Fessebook. This same page reappears in "The Internet."
- Technically, Rob, Bobert and Banana Bob have the same name, since they are all shortened forms of the name Robert.
- Originally for Season 1, Rob was animated with CGI. In Season 2, he was changed to a 2D animated character. In "The Nobody," he is back to being animated in CGI. This makes him and Blitzer the only characters to be animated in both 2D and CGI.
- In his current form, his midriff switches between being pink and static.
- He got his first major role in the episode "The Nobody," where he is shown to have escaped from the Void.
- In "The Nobody," it is revealed that Rob never had a mother or any siblings, although at the time he stated this he was suffering from amnesia.
- He is the second character to undergo a permanent change in the show, the first being Penny.
- As of "The Disaster," he is aware of the fact that the world he lives in is fictional.
- He claims to have a major in Canadian History, despite never being confirmed to have graduated from Junior High.
- He is the only character who remembers the events that happened during "The Rerun," which sets the events of the episode "The Ex."
- A running gag exists where Gumball forgets his name, calling him names like "Ross" and "Roy." However, in "The Bus," "The Rerun," and "The Ex," Gumball correctly says his name. The same went for "The Nemesis," when Gumball and Darwin followed Rob to the mall.
- Rob spoke in a British accent when he was voiced by David Warner. His British accent was made in "The Nemesis" when Gumball changed Rob's voice. He kept the accent in "The Bus" and "The Disaster," after that he reset his voice with the Universal Remote and went back to being voiced by Hugo Harold-Harrison.