This is a Featured Article. This page was selected as Featured Article on the main page. A new article will be elected soon.
Thank you for supporting the Gumball Wiki.
| Penny Fitzgerald
| Character Information
Penny Fitzgerald is a supporting character in The Amazing World of Gumball. She was an antlered peanut who is in Miss Simian's class at Elmore Junior High. Gumball and Penny had always had massive crushes on each other, but the two of them had always struggled to express their feelings, that is, until the events of the episode "The Shell," when Gumball finally confessed his feelings for her and kissed her. She was part of The Treehouse Girls Club until it disbanded due to the tree being cut down by Tobias and Banana Joe and is currently on the school's cheerleading team (being the most talented of them, though that's not saying much).
From Season 1 to "The Shell," Penny was an anthropomorphic peanut. Like the rest of her family, she had a set of antlers that grow out of her head. In Season 3, the episode "The Shell" revealed that Penny underneath her shell is a shape-shifting, fairy-like creature. She can transform into any animal, and every time, the animal has a set of antlers.
In Season 2, the design of Penny's shell had been altered. Previously, it was straighter, and shaped more like her father's shell, but then it was curved to resemble her sister's and her mother's. Her antlers also became darker and smaller. Also, the holes in the shell on her arms are missing.
Penny does not normally wear much clothing, aside from a pair of orange sneakers with white knee socks and some red and white wristbands. However, she is often seen carrying white pom-poms.
In Season 3, her design is the same as Season 2 until in "The Shell." After breaking free of her shell, thanks to Gumball, the contents of her shell are revealed. She can shape-shift into any creature, depending on her emotions, but her default form seems to be an yellow orange gradient fairy-like creature with antlers. Her body takes on the shape of her shell, and the upper half of her body gets progressively lighter shades of orange and yellow in coloration. Her real eyes and mouth are now seen, and also has visible white eyelashes connected to her eyes. She also has wings, which she can use to hover above the ground. After the events of "The Shell," Penny remains in her fairy-like form.
Penny is very nice and friendly. She sticks up for her friends often, implying she has a strong sense of integrity. Such can be seen in "The Gi," in which she was one of the few people to not succumb to peer pressure and stand up for Gumball as opposed to ridiculing him. She also seems to be a pretty selfless and forgiving person, as evidenced in "The Bros," where she was willing to sacrifice her relationship with Gumball in order to make sure Darwin was happy and could cope with his own troubles. She also showed no anger when Darwin made several attempts to sabotage her relationship with Gumball, but rather sympathized with him.
She is one of the few people to understand Gumball, whom she has a massive crush on. The feeling is mutual, but neither of them has ever had a chance to properly express their feelings, despite that it is clearly evident, that is, until "The Shell."
Penny, however, is also a very sensitive person, as she can be easily hurt. Such can be seen on "The Meddler," in which Gumball's accidental slip-up of words cause her to cry, and later, nearly mess up her cheerleading performance. "The Storm" showcases this trait again, as she has nothing but cynicism after she is misled into believing Gumball intentionally kissed Carmen. Penny also tears up when Rob's language change in "The Disaster" causes Gumball to sound like he's shouting at her.
Her sensitive side is further exemplified when her true form is revealed in "The Shell." Without her shell, she is very self-conscious and shy, running away from society, believing everyone thinks she's a monster. Even worse, she transforms into the said monster as she runs away, fulfilling their expectations. After Gumball helps her come to terms with herself, though, she has become more open and enthusiastic than she was previously.
Penny, although not nearly to the same extent as Gumball, can resort to snarking. Her typical sarcasm is directed towards Tobias and his poor attempts to woo her; such can be seen in episdoes such as "The Move" and "The Butterfly," in which she cleverly turns down his advancements to get closer. She also seems to constantly belittle the conflict between Gumball and Tobias in "The Knights," having nothing but apathy and snark to share.
When out of her shell, Penny can transform into any creature depending on her emotions.
Because Penny is a fairy-like shapeshifter, she can transform into any creature based on her emotions. In every form, she has a set of antlers.
- Main article: Penny Fitzgerald/Relationships
- "The Third" (debut)
- "The End"
- "The Dress"
- "The Pressure": Her first major role. She and Masami are two of the important Treehouse Girls.
- "The Ghost" (cameo)
- "The Mystery"
- "The Gi"
- "The Kiss" (cameo)
- "The Party": Her second major role. She tries to get Gumball to be her date for Rachel's party.
- "The Robot"
- "The Picnic" (cameo)
- "The Sock" (cameo)
- "The Mustache"
- "The Date": Her third major role. She invites Gumball to Mr. Cuddles' funeral while he thinks of it as a date.
- "The Club"
- "The Ape" (cameo)
- "The Curse" (cameo)
- "The Meddler"
- "The Helmet" (cameo)
- "The Fight" (cameo)
- "The Knights": Her fourth major role. Tobias and Gumball fight for her affection.
- "The Fridge" (cameo)
- "The Flower": Her fifth major role. She is hanging out with Leslie, causing Gumball to become overcome with jealousy.
- "The Banana" (cameo)
- "The Phone" (cameo)
- "The Apology" (cameo)
- "The Words" (cameo)
- "The Skull"
- "The Bet" (cameo)
- "Christmas" (cameo)
- "The Watch" (cameo)
- "The Bumpkin" (cameo)
- "The Virus" (mentioned)
- "The Hero" (cameo)
- "The Dream": Her sixth major role. She is kissed by Darwin in one of Gumball's dreams.
- "The Sidekick" (cameo)
- "The Photo"
- "The Storm"
- "The Voice"
- "The Promise" (cameo)
- "The Boombox" (cameo)
- "The Tape" (cameo)
- "The Sweaters"
- "The World" (cameo)
- "The Finale" (cameo)
- "The Kids"
- "The Fan" (cameo)
- "The Coach" (cameo)
- "The Joy"
- "The Recipe" (cameo)
- "The Name"
- "The Extras" (cameo)
- "The Fraud (cameo)
- "The Void" (cameo)
- "The Move"
- "The Allergy" (cameo)
- "The Mothers" (cameo)
- "The Shell": Her seventh major role. Her shell is cracked open by Gumball, revealing her true form.
- "The Burden"
- "The Bros": Her eighth major role. Darwin attempts to destroy her relationship with Gumball.
- "The Mirror"
- "The Butterfly"
- "The Safety" (cameo)
- "The Society" (cameo)
- "The Spoiler"
- "The Countdown" (cameo)
- "The Downer" (mentioned)
- "The Return"
- "The Others" (cameo)
- "The Pest" (cameo)
- "The Romantic": Her ninth major role. She follows Gumball's clues on a quest.
- "The Uploads"
- "The Apprentice"
- "The Hug"
- "The Traitor" (mentioned)
- "The Love"
- "The Awkwardness" (mentioned)
- "The Nest" (mentioned)
- "The Night"
- "The Misunderstandings": Her tenth major role. She waits for Gumball at Dinner at the Elmore Mall.
- "The Blame"
- "The Slap" (cameo)
- "The Fury" (cameo)
- "The Compilation"
- "The Disaster"
- Teresa Gallagher (UK/US/AUS/NZ/CAN)
- Mai Yamane (Japan)
- Bruna Laynes (Brazil)
- Sara Margrét Nordahl (Iceland)
- Kriszta Németh (Hungary, Season 1-3)
- Éva Dögei (Hungary, Season 4-present)
- Afrodita Androne (Romania, Seasons 1-3)
- Carmen Lopăzan (Romania, Season 4-present)
- Orly Tagar (Israel)
- Lina Ljungqvist (Sweden)
Click here to view the gallery.
- Main article: Penny Fitzgerald/Quotes
- Penny is allergic to blueberries, as seen and revealed in "The Dream." She mentions this allergy again in "The Voice." It's then seen again in "The Romantic."
- In Project Exonaut, Penny is available as an exosuit for 1,000 coins.
- As seen in "The Club," Penny is enrolled in the synchronized swimming club that also includes Darwin, Leslie, and an unnamed dog.
- She has the most major roles of any character that is not a Watterson, with ten.
- Early in her development, she had darker antlers.
- In "The Flower," it is shown that she has not had her tonsils taken out yet.
- In the same episode it is revealed that Leslie is her cousin.
- In "The Void," it is shown that her limbs can fall off if she falls from a great height.
- In "The Romantic," it is revealed that Penny and Gumball first met at the mall.
- In the episode "The Shell," it is revealed that without her shell, Penny is a shape-shifting fairy-like creature.
- In the Icelandic dub, Penny was renamed "Jenný" due to the fact that "Penny" is unfit for the Icelandic declension.
- The fact she is allergic to peanuts is ironic because she used to wear a peanut shell.
- She often chokes in front of Gumball, who is oblivious to her choking as a running gag.
- Although she only can shapeshift depending on her emotions as stated in "The Romantic," she shapeshifts into her wolf form in "Books Are Violent" even though she didn't feel emotional at all.
- She is one of the two characters to canonically undergo a permanent physical change in the show, the other was Rob.
- Penny's Medusa-like form was cut in some dubs.