| Mr. Steve Small
| Character Information
Mr. Steve Small is a supporting character in The Amazing World of Gumball. He is the hippie school counselor at Elmore Junior High. Although his job is to advise the students, he tends to act like the one that needs the most help.
Mr. Small is a tall, fluffy cloud-like creature. He wears a rainbow-patterned shirt, black bellbottoms, and blue and yellow sandals. White fluff covers almost all of his body. This fluff is more plentiful on his forearms, feet, and head. He also has a small ponytail to keep his hair tied back, which may or may not be long, as it was when he was younger. His eyes are round and coloured olive green with red pupils, resembling a green olive.
Back in Junior High, his hair was very long, going mid-back. He also used to have a pink shirt with a sideways Yin Yang symbol on it, which he wore with bluish-white jeans.
Starting from Season 2, Mr. Small gets eyebrows, and the buckles on his sandals get smaller.
He usually speaks in a calm, quiet, South American-like accent. However, when he is feeling angry, he speaks in a loud "Drill Sergeant" voice.
Mr. Small is the guidance counselor of Elmore Junior High, meaning that his job is to assist students with personal problems and help them make the right choices in life. However, because most of his counseling techniques seem to lie on the strange and somewhat ineffective side of the spectrum, most kids who enter his office seeking assistance leave confused and no better off than they were previously.
For example, in the episode "The Painting," Mr. Small attempts to help Gumball and Darwin deal with their destructive energy, but his attempts prove to be less than helpful as most of his teachings involve things such as screaming in an attempt to relieve oneself of excess anger and expressing oneself through coating them in paint and allowing them to track it all over the room.
Mr. Small has been described as a hippie and a new ager many times, which is somewhat reflected in his mannerisms and appearance. He seems to enjoy meditation and is overall a mostly mellow person.
He has a large array of spiritual paraphernalia such as incense, healing crystals and other such things he uses to help the students he counsels. He also seems to go through phases on interest with such items, always hopping on whatever the current new age fad is at the time.
Mr. Small is one of the stranger people in Elmore. In "The Dress," there is a short scene of him bending over backwards while greeting someone. He sometimes shows signs of bipolar disorder, such as in "The Meddler" where he has a violent outburst in response to Penny's cheerleader tryout.
He also seems to have a bit of a short patience as well, such as when he yelled at Gumball for doing the wrong move when they were doing an interpretive dance. Sometimes, when his patience grows extremely short, he pulls out his secret weapon; the Silence Snake, a sock puppet which he uses to scream at kids to make them be quiet. In the outside, Mr. small seems kind, but in the inside, he is very mean and impolite, in which he keeps a secret.
The gallery for Mr. Small can be found here.
- "The End": He struts by Gumball and Penny's fake wedding in the foreground.
- "The Dress": He greets GumBallOopsEggWobbleUnderpants while literally bending over backwards.
- "The Spoon": He is mentioned on two posters in the background of the Gas Station. One says "Mr. Small's Modern Dance Academy" and another says "Mr. Small's Smallkwondo."
- "The Painting": He attempts to teach Gumball and Darwin to use their energy in a less destructive way.
- "The Gi": He appears as his younger self in Nicole's flashback.
- "The Secret": He and Miss Simian are disturbed by a picture drawn by Gumball in Darwin's notebook.
- "The Sock": He teaches Gumball and Darwin about honesty.
- "The Club": He appears as the instructor of Nicole's anger management class.
- "The Wand": He appears in the yearbook in Richard's flashback.
- "The Ape": He appears as his younger self twice in Nicole's flashback.
- "The Meddler": He is seen judging the cheerleader tryouts with Principal Brown.
- "The Fight": He attempts to solve Gumball's bullying problem, but he's too scared of Tina and ignores them.
- "The Banana": He teaches a class and attempts to resolve Gumball and Darwin's problem with Banana Joe.
- "The Phone": He is seen meditating in his office while Gumball tries to get Darwin's phone back.
- "The Job": He is seen being delivered a questionable vegetarian pizza.
- "The Words": He realizes Darwin isn't being polite to other students (and him) so he tapes his mouth shut.
- "The Bet": He nearly runs Bobert over while rollerblading.
- "The Sidekick": He chases Gumball and Darwin to give them money.
- "The Dream": In Gumball's dream, he is on the phone in the school hall. He takes his head with the phone when he hangs up.
- "The Photo": He's the school photographer in this episode.
- "The Tag": He is hit by a garbage bin while rollerblading.
- "The Lesson": He reads poetry about shoes to Gumball and Darwin as their punishment.
- "The Game": He teaches a class, and asks for volunteers for upcoming events.
- "The Promise": He mistakes Banana Joe for a phone at the supermarket.
- "The Castle": He is one of the guests at the Watterson's House. He is seen eating a piece of meat, in spite of his vegetarianism.
- "The Boombox": He interacts with several students, and later celebrates Miss Simian's (false) retirement.
- "The Sweaters": He counsels Gumball and Darwin about their conflict with Carlton and Troy, and later he attempts to massage Gumball's sore buttocks during the tennis match.
- "The World": He trips over Sewer Cap while rollerblading.
- "The Finale": He gets stuffed into an envelope by Gumball and Darwin, and later he is a part of the angry crowd attacking the Wattersons.
- Mister Small: "Hey, new girl! How's it going?"
- Mister Small: "So tell me, who's bullying you"
Gumball and Anais: Tina Rex!
Mister Small: TINA REX! [all of his colours drain from his body, he throws Gumball and Anais out of his office] DON'T TELL HER YOU SAW ME!
- Mister Small: [smashing painting with baseball bat] "This is not painting! This is not painting! This! Is! Not! Painting!" [lights the painting on fire] "Burn, you relic of convention!"
- Mister Small: "Now, be the colour orange." [Gumball does the wrong pose] "That's yellow, I said orange!" [Gumball does another pose] "That's it."
- Mister Small: "Your mother called!"
Gumball and Darwin: "Oh!"
Mister Small: "She says she hates you!"
- Penny: "I know, it's just... I had some emotional problems this afternoon an-"
Mister Small: "YOU LEAVE YOUR EMOTIONS AT THE DOOR! THIS IS CHEERLEADING, NOT DRAMA CLUB! YOU BETTER SHAPE UP OR SHIP OUT BECAUSE THIS IS THE BIG LEAGUES SISTER, AND RIGHT NOW YOU'RE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE BARREL! ...Is there anything you'd like to add, Principal Brown?"
Principal Brown: "Only that we're making cuts today and someone's going to have to be pretty bad for it not to be you."
- Construction Man: (after noticing Mr. Small is eating meat) I thought you were some kind of vegetarian eco-warrior?
Mister Small: Only so I can get that rush of superiority from making other people feel guilty.
- His appearances are usually preceded by a strum of the sitar.
- It is revealed in "The Bet" that he is a licensed roller blader, although he isn't very skilled at rollerblading.
- Mr. Small, being a puffy cloud-like creature with many colors, slightly resembles Masami and Tobias.
- Mr. Small listens to mystic chants and whale songs in his spare time, and he also seems to enjoy sitar music since it was playing throughout his scenes in "The Painting" and "The Sock."
- As seen in Nicole's flashback in the episode "The Gi," he used to make fun of Richard's Cottontail Cavalier costume back when they were in middle school. This flashback also reveals that Mr. Small went to Elmore Junior High as a kid.
- While wearing his interpretive dance suit in "The Painting", it is shown that his fluff hides his real body structure, because underneath it, he is very bony and skinny. This is also seen when he is wearing his rollerblading suit.
- He is a vegetarian, meaning that he abstains from eating meat. However, in "The Castle," he is seen eating ham. According to him, he only pretends to be a vegetarian for the "rush of superiority" from making other people feel bad.
- It was revealed that Mr. Small's first name is Steve in "The Wand". He is named after one of the show's designers, and was designed by him as well.
- According to the episode "The Fight," Mr. Small is quite terrified of Tina.
- In "The Finale," it is revealed that he has claustrophobia, which is fear of enclosed spaces.