| Gumball "Tristopher" Watterson
| Character Information
Gumball Tristopher Watterson is the main character of The Amazing World of Gumball. He is a twelve-year-old, light blue male cat that goes to Elmore Junior High with his ten-year-old adopted brother/best friend Darwin and his four-year-old sister Anais. Gumball is in Miss Simian's class. Gumball also has a crush on Penny, and though their feelings are mutual, they struggle to express their emotions to each other.
Gumball is a light blue cat. On his oversized head, he has six whiskers but most of the time only five are visible because his head is always shown at an angle. He usually wears grey trousers coupled with a tan sweater which with brown cuffs and a brown collar. Like his mother and father, Gumball doesn't wear shoes, and is the only member of the Wattersons without visible eyelashes, although in some episode he is seen with visible eyelashes, like in The Refund.
In season 2, his design changes slightly. His head and his whiskers are bigger, his tooth is gone, and his eyes are rounder. Also, his voice started getting deeper.
Gumball is portrayed as a fun-loving, imaginative, rather optimistic, and a very mischievous cat. When his mishaps get himself into a mess, he usually attempts to fix things with somewhat dimwitted ideas, which usually get him into even more trouble than before. No matter how his schemes resolve themselves, Gumball's naivete stops him from learning his lesson. He usually plans his mishaps with Darwin. Like Darwin, Gumball does not appear to notice deception, which may mean that he is too optimistic to notice most negative things around him.
Gumball has a big ego and it is where he is most sensitive. Otherwise he is usually positive on all matters concerning him. Gumball is smart, but that doesn't mean he's wise. At times he acts really stupid and goes to great illogical lengths to find something, but he has shown some degree of cleverness in other circumstances. He happens to have a superior vocabulary than that of most of his classmates, using more mature words. Gumball has also displayed extents of observancy and operational ingenuity-able to identify small things like the burn markings on Rocky's palms, intellectually arrange escape routes based on his surroundings, and even counter his own mother Nicole's hand-based offences for a great deal of time, shown in both episodes The Date and The Remote; in which case even secretly confiscating her car keys from her pocket in the process. His antics have gotten him in dangerous and often life-threatening situations, usually saved by luck someone more sensible at the time. He has shown skill in building, when he made a system of chain reactions to launch a bowling ball onto the moon, as seen on The Car, though he failed miserably in the last element.
He is a decent cook, making a very good sandwich for Darwin as mentioned in "The Secret," and is shown making a good (albeit spicy) meal for him in the same episode. He also got a B in home eds for his cooking and Miss Simian called his cooking divine. However, in "The Responsible," Gumball makes disgusting food for Anais, consisting of a rotten fish between bread slices and an old shoe. In the "The Knights," Gumball made a cake for Mr. Fitzgerald.
To view information on Gumball's Relationships please go here:Gumball's Relationships
The gallery for Gumball Watterson can be found here.
- Logan Grove (US/UK)
- Nicky Jones (Early Reel only)
- Junko Takeuchi (Japan)
- Arthur Dubois (France)
- Federico Bebi (voice) and Leonardo Caneva (sing) (Italy)
- Isabel Martiñon (early episodes)/Paolo Filio (rest) (Latin America)
- Mario García (season 1)/Pilar Martín (season 2) (Spain)
- Rebekka Weissfeld (Danish)
- Omar Hakeem (Arab world)
- Eduardo Drummond (Brazil)
- He can play ukulele and sing well, as seen in The Knights.
- He apparently had his appendix removed and he also kissed Sussie, as said by Darwin in The Skull .
- Gumball was voiced by Nicky Jones (best known for voicing the title character of Chowder) in the Early Reel episode, but Logan Grove started voicing Gumball for the rest of the episodes.
- Gumball was originally designed to be a black cat, but was changed to a blue cat for unknown reasons.
- Gumball sometimes exhibits more naturalistic cat behaviors such as moving his ears and tail, meowing, and retracting his claws.
- In Project Exonaut, Gumball is available as a exosuit for 1,000 coins.
- In Cartoon Network: FusionFall, Gumball is available as a Nano.
- Gumball's sweater was revealed to have been found by his dad in a sewage outlet in "The Date."
- Gumball is shown to have some health issues. In "The Club," it is shown that Gumball has a weak bladder.
- Gumball is terrible at catching things, as shown in "The Quest."
- Gumball hates watching the shopping channel, as shown in "The Laziest."
- Gumball has been shown to be a horrible liar on numerous occasions.
- Although Gumball has six whiskers, only five of them are visible because of the angle of his head. In "The Poltergeist" when Gumball impersonates a pea on a fork, you can see that he has six whiskers.
- He has very wide hips, which is unusual because this feature is more commonly seen on female characters in animation.
- Both Gumball and Anais placed 4th in the Dumb Race, since they both forfeited at the same time.
- In "The Club", Nicole reveals that she and Richard agreed to give Gumball the middle name "Christopher", but Richard confused it for "Tristopher" on Gumball's birth certificate. His middle name was also confirmed as "Tristopher" on James Lamont's Formspring.
- Gumball has arachnophobia, which is a strong fear of spiders, as shown in "The Date" and the character Ocho.
- In "The Fight," it's revealed that Tina actually thought of herself as Gumball's friend.
- Gumball is the only member of the Watterson family that does not have any visible eyelashes.
- In "The Treasure," it is revealed that Gumball was a really ugly baby.
- Gumball is shown to be good at whistling, demonstrating his skill in The Colossus and The Fridge.
- In Season 2, Gumball's voice has started getting deeper due to Logan Grove hitting puberty.
- Gumball had bigger eyes in the early concept art.