| Darwin Raglan Caspian Ahab Poseidon Nicodemius Watterson III
| Character Information
Darwin Raglan Caspian Ahab Poseidon Nicodemius Watterson III is one of the main characters in The Amazing World of Gumball. He used to be Gumball's pet goldfish, but one day he grew legs, gained the ability to speak, and generally adapted to life outside of water.
Darwin is a goldfish with arms and legs. His goldfish-shaped head takes up his entire body, with his fins and legs hanging down from it. He has retained his goldfish tail and fins, the latter of which he now uses as arms and hands. His legs are much longer than his body, ending with plain feet matching the color and texture of the rest of his body. Usually, though, he covers them with green and white sneakers. A common misconception in Season 1 was that he also wore a black shirt, but that was actually just a shadow cast by his big head.
Darwin apparently has thick coatings of blubber, making him resistant to massive pain, as he is shown unharmed in "The Responsible" after a painful face-first slap on a concrete sidewalk from way up in the air. The blubber's depth is about the length of Gumball's arm, as shown in "The DVD", where Gumball had to sink his whole arm into Darwin's head just to reach his cheekbone. Darwin also thinks he has perfect skin as shown in "The DVD". Darwin is shown naked in "The Meddler" without his shoes, but his feet are censored for some strange reason, possibly as a joke due to the fact he doesn't wear clothes and just shoes. His feet were also shown in "The Goons", "The Skull", and "The Club" but uncensored.
In Season 2, Darwin gets a redesign. His black shadow disappears, almost to the point where it's not noticeable. Also, his legs get a little fatter, and he loses one eyelash on each eye (two on each eye instead of three). Also, Darwin's attitude has slightly changed; from being cheerful and clueless, to being easily angered, especially in "The Words". He seems to have an intense cruelty, as shown in "The Banana". His voice also started to sound lower, and whenever he screams, his voice squeaks, this is probably because of Kwesi Boakye entering puberty.
Due to his sudden entrance into the world, his perspective of it is somewhat skewed and naive. He has trouble understanding many situations. Often people have to point out his misconceptions and faults, such as the time he didn't know the definition of dates and when he used a DVD as a pizza cutter.
Darwin is an overall happy person, sharing his best friend Gumball's optimistic view of life. His cheery personality shows in several episodes, most notably in "The Flower", where he was immune to the effects of Jealousy due to being completely satisfied with his life. It takes a lot to trigger a negative reaction from him, but when provoked far enough, he can get very intense. A good example is in "The Banana", where he trashed Banana Joe's locker and threatened grievous bodily harm to him, all in retaliation for his pen being chewed and his homework getting ripped. Incentives also seem to fuel him up, like in "The Fridge", where he repeatedly smashed a ball into Gumball's face, all for the sake of a top spot on the fridge.
This happiness may just be a facade, though, as in "The Words", it is shown that people actually annoy him a lot; he just hesitates to tell them off. With help from Gumball, though, he begins telling people, often with intense hostility, everything he hates about them.
He also has poor memory, likely based on the misconception that fish have a memory of only three seconds. To him, basic spelling is complex, and the only numbers he knows are 7, 2, and 9. Also, in "The Mystery" he fails to remember anything he did the day before, while all of his other classmates remembered clearly.
Despite being humanlike, Darwin still sleeps in his fishbowl; however, because he has grown in size, he gets rather squished in there. He also still seems fond of fish flakes, as shown in "The Responsible" and "The Picnic". Other foods he enjoys are cookies, chips, and ice cream.
Throughout the series, Darwin has referred to Richard and Nicole as "Mr. Dad" and "Mrs. Mom" although at some points, he calls him "Mom" and "Dad". Whether this is because he shows more respect for them than a child would, or just the fact that he has some doubts of them being his "parents" is anyone's guess.
Darwin falls in love at first sight with anything that wears a pretty dress. An example of that would be in "The Dress", where he saw Gumball in a dress and completely fell in love, thinking he was a girl. At that time, he was so in love that he said to the "girl": "I love you", and a photo of him trying to kiss "her" was shown. When the dress later fell onto a fire hydrant, Darwin then fell in love with it.
Humorously, Darwin appears to be somewhat of a ladies' man. He has already had three romantic encounters: one with Masami, another with Rachel, and a third with Carrie. Masami chose him as her fake boyfriend, and even went so far as to kiss him. Rachel gave him a kiss on the cheek after he cheered her up at her party. Carrie received a spontaneous kiss from him, with him saying that he has wanted to do that for a long time. He's also shown to be somewhat smooth as to talking to women as shown in "The Bet", when Bobert repeated what Darwin told him to say, Tina was seduced.
- Main article: Darwin/Relationships
The gallery for Darwin Watterson can be found here.
- Kwesi Boakye (US/UK)
- Yumiko Kobayashi (Japan)
- Andrea Di Maggio (Italy)
- Iván Sánchez (Spain)
- Ghadi Hakeem (Arab world)
- Bergen Coşkun (Turkey)
- Yago Machado (Brazil)
- Sacha Capelluto (France, season 1)
- Tim Belasri (France, season 2)
- Gerardo Mendoza (Latin America)
- "I WANT MORE KIDS!"
- "I always thought I'd make a good model."
- Gumball: "How come you look so good?"
Darwin: "I don't know. Maybe it's because of my... perfect skin!"
- "She will be mine!"
- Darwin: "What happened to your clothes?"
Richard: "I ate them!"
- "Oh, did I say the 'Leap of Faith?' I meant, the 'Leap of Filth!'"
- Gumball: "...half shark, half bear, half alligator!"
- "The Shower of Slime!"
- Gumball: "What does a warrior need for a good warmup?"
Darwin: "Mittens and a scarf?"
- Darwin: "Oh, can I borrow ten bucks?"
Gumball: (reluctantly hands him ten dollars)
Darwin: "Thanks, Gumball! Wait for me Tobias!"
- "Okay, I didn't mean it - boyfriend joke! Look, I'm laughing! ('fakes laughing) You can stop crying now! Please?"
- "Please? I'll do anything you want! I'll go to the treehouse with you! I'll..I'll kiss you!
- (after being kissed on the cheek) "Everything is so clear now!"
- (cheerfully) "I feel awkward!"
- "Why is it called 2000, anyway? It's not like it's the future anymore!"
- (gruff voice) "I don't care that you're sad, Jimmy, it's store policy!"
- Gumball: "What was that!?"
Darwin: (sheepishly) "It's my tummy."
- Gumball: (laughing) Oh, man! I am SO sorry!
Darwin: What did you make me do? WHAT DID YOU MAKE ME DO?!?!
- "Everywhere's my happy place!"
- Darwin: Woohoo! I'm so happy! Anais! The most wonderful, incredible, amazing thing has happened!
Darwin: I'm in LO-O-O-OVE! She's the most beautiful, most wonderful, most amazing, most wonderful, most... Ohhhh! Here she comes!
- Anais: We've got to fight fire with fire!
Darwin: Won't that burn the house down?
- Darwin: I promise!
Gumball: I want you to walk like a dog with an itchy butt.
Darwin: I shouldn't have promised!
- Gumball: Ok, dude. You know what a true warrior needs for a good warm up?
Darwin: Mittens and a scarf?
- Darwin seems to be multilingual, as he spoke a complex Chinese sentence in "The DVD", and spoke French in "The Treasure" while hypnotized.
- Darwin can breathe in water, but he is shown to hold his breath and resurface for air in "The Pressure". He possibly does this for the sake of fitting in.
- Darwin's blubber protects him from a lot of damage.
- In Project Exonaut, Darwin is available as an exosuit for 1,000 coins.
- In "The Dress", we see that he uses his left hand when he's drawing Gumball in the dress. However, he does other common tasks with his right hand. This suggests that he may be ambidextrous. It might be a development oversight as well.
- Darwin's shadow was changed in Season 2 so people wouldn't mistake it for a shirt.
- On an exclusive video on the official "Elmore Stream-It" YouTube page, it is revealed that Darwin can exhale for much longer than Gumball can.
- Apart from Gumball, Darwin is the only character in the series who has made an appearance in every episode to date.
- As stated in "The Spoon", the only numbers he knows are 2, 7, and 9. This may have changed though.
- According to the episode "The Secret", Darwin cannot use the bathroom unless Gumball whistles for him.
- Darwin's name is most likely based on the scientist Charles Darwin, who gained fame for his theory of evolution. A fish with legs or a "Darwin fish" is also considered somewhat of a universal symbol for Darwinism.
- Darwin has a habit of standing in his seat as opposed to sitting down.
- According to "The Goons", Darwin is Richard's favorite child.
- Darwin was originally a CGI animated character, but this was changed later on because of the difficulties of having a major character animated in this fashion.
- In "The Party", Darwin claims to be part suckerfish.
- Darwin is quite athletic. He can run much faster than both Anais and Gumball, as shown in "The Quest", "The Kiss" and "The Remote", can climb faster than Gumball, and is a skilled swimmer.
- He calls Nicole and Richard "Mrs. Mom" and "Mr. Dad", instead of just calling them "Mom" and "Dad".
- Darwin has been known to be very polite in several episodes, especially during the first season.
- In "The Words", it is revealed he's bald, although in "The Refund" it is shown that he can grow leg hair.
- Darwin's head has exploded at least twice.
- In "The Bet", it is revealed that it took Darwin five years to learn facial expressions, and he still has some trouble recognizing them.
- Darwin is a goldfish that grew legs and arms; this may be a reference to the movie Ponyo.
- Poseidon, one of Darwin's many middle names, is a reference to Poseidon (known as Neptune in Roman mythology), the god of the seas from Greek mythology.
- Darwin is the only Watterson that isn't a mammal or even biologically related.
- In "The Hero", it was revealed that he was given to Gumball as a Christmas present.
- His Cartoon Network description reads "Darwin used to be the family pet until he sprouted legs and became one of the Wattersons. He's innocent, naive, and Gumball's best friend."